How Does Your Brain Score? Take the Staying Sharp Brain Health Assessment

Regular Social Butterfly

Re: Hate to introduce myself in a time of crisis, but here I am...

Message 1 of 5 (117 Views)

In addition to the excellent responses from cat0w, nyadrn and ceecara, I believe, based on the info you posted, you would qualify for Social Security Disability, which when you create your account at ssa.gov, you'll see is higher than Social Security Retirement benefits.

Since each situation is based on so many individual factors, I would hesitate to consider responses that don't include links to ssa.gov information.

Why not contact local AARP office, as they usually have reliable, responsible contacts who you can reach out to for accurate information.

Best of luck to you. I became homeless for a while in 2014 due to job loss (outsourcing to offshore provider) and know how confusing and frightening this can be at our age, but you WILL come out on the brighter side of this, and will be able to offer someone your life experience to help someone else in the future.

Stay in touch.

Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Info Seeker

Message 2 of 5 (133 Views)

Hi..

.I am very sorry for the situation you are in.  I am in just about the same one. It's awful and unfair to be.going through all these horrible, stressful situations at this age.  Elderly housing has small nice apartments you could move into.  They only change a third of your monthly income.  They will also deduct from that the cost of insurance you pay.  Usually they will give you rebates on heating expenses.  Also, get yourself some good therapy to help you cope with these huge changes in your life.  Good luck 

Topics: 1,055
Kudos: 11,690

Message 3 of 5 (166 Views)

You can also make an appointment and go in to your local social security office and speak to a representative.  Call ahead to find out what information to bring and set up an appointment.

I did that when I was first thinking about retirement and they answered all of my questions.

Good luck!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Topics: 24
Kudos: 178

Message 4 of 5 (188 Views)

If you haven't already, you need to go to the Social Security web site and create an account. https://www.ssa.gov/ . You should be able to find the information you need there, if not try your local Social Security Office.

Info Seeker

Hate to introduce myself in a time of crisis, but here I am...

Message 5 of 5 (224 Views)

Hello. 

I haven't been a helpless crazy person all my life. But, boy, I sure am one now (and hope it's temporary).

I am a 63 years old woman. In 2010, I lost both my job and significant amount of hearing. My hearing problem is too complicated to describe here. Suffice it to say, I had reason to believe it wouldn't get much worse and with hearing aids I could soon return to work.

But that's now what happened. My condition rapidly went from moderate-to-severe hearing loss to profound hearing loss. The pricey hearing aids I bought became useless -- and I couldn't afford another pair. Unfortunately, I didn't accept and adjust to the situation as quickly and resourcefully as I might have.

And so a downward spiral began. Isolation, depression, and spending my 401K. The killer expense has been an apartment that was affordable when I was working and made sense when I had a kid at home, but is located in the most expensive rental market in the world. I tried to move: no one would rent to to an unemployed woman with a sinking credit score. I knew it was only a matter of time until the situation exploded.

And it finally has. I have three weeks to move, no idea where I'm going, and an insane amount of packing to do and things to figure out. But nevermind all that: what I'm hoping to find here and now on the AARP forum is info about Social Security.

I was married. My husband and I legally separated and have lived apart for 20+ years, but never finalized the divorce. That was intentional. When we divorced, I had breast cancer and was terrified I wouldn't qualify for health insurance. So we remained "technically" married to maximize insurance options.

I have been told there are Social Security tips/tricks/loopholes for married and/or divorced people. I have been told a loophole that would have benefited me was recently closed, but might still be available if we finalized the divorced. I'm also under the the impression any remaining tip-worthy strategies/loopholes will be eliminated in the next couple weeks, so I'm feeling a sense of urgency (though it may already be too late).

Normally, I'd have no problem researching this info on my own. It's just I'm coping with a zillion other things and can barely think straight. So IF there are any SS experts around, could you please direct me to one?

Sorry, to be so boring and self-absorbed. I'm actually fun and supportive in both online groups and real life... just not now. Thanks for reading.