How Does Your Brain Score? Take the Staying Sharp Brain Health Assessment

Highlighted
Info Seeker +

Greetings from Illinois!

Message 1 of 1 (58 Views)

Hi all,

I've just signed up for AARP & new to this community; still learning how to navigate the site.

I'm from the Chicagoland area & have been disabled with a rare progressive spinal cord disease known as Syringomyelia since 2009. My Mother & I were living together where we took care of each other, but she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease last December, is now in an Assisted Living facility & I am living alone. I've had lots of major life changes recently that have been quite overwhelming & very stressful. I am trying to obtain a Personal Care Assistant for myself so that I can continue living independently in my home. Unfortunately Illinois is not a disability-friendly state, and the lack of an IL budget is hampering the obtaining of Home & Community Based Service Waivers for in-home services for those with disabilities & the elderly (in the bottom 5 of all states). Consequently, far too many people in Illinois are being forced into nursing homes that could be living in their own homes & in the community at much less expense to the state. I certainly don't want to be warehoused in a nursing home & am hoping to relocate to another state as soon as possible. 

Needless to say, healthcare & Social Security/SSDI are major concerns for me & have resulted in numerous sleepless nights lately. I'm glad that AARP is fighting so aggressively on these issues! 

I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend & Happy Father's Day to all you Dad's out there!

Best,

Jules 🌷