The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Trusted Social Butterfly

Re: Golden Girls & Boys (Gentlemen) Living

[ Edited ]
Message 1 of 3 (281 Views)

"...The reason I am bringing this up is that I am thinking about finding a nice place to live with a couple of roommates. An ideal living situation would be me, one other woman and two gentlemen sharing rent....".

You're talking about communal living which has been increasing in popularity. If you search on this you'll find all kinds of info.  I don't have personal experience with this.

If you research this, you'll find that communal living certainly can work, but you really have to do all the unpleasant 'grunt work' to protect yourself. If you live with other people, the 'Golden Girls' may happen, but what happens if someone gets hurt, someone can no longer share the rent?  Everyone in a communal living arrangement will have to sign a lease, make a contract that covers for various contingencies. You'll have to take a hard look at the amenities where you live. Can't have a single bathroom for 3 or 4 people, can you? What happens with food --- everyone share equally or are some of you going to be meat eaters and someone else a vegan? You'll need liability --- what if personal items go missing? What about pets? How to use common areas? What if someone drinks too much and breaks something? What if someone has guests over and something gets broken, or the guests show bad behavior?

I know, I'm raining on your parade but we have a litiginous society, and a lot of people have no sense of decorum or responsibility towards others.  

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Conversationalist

Re: Golden Girls & Boys (Gentlemen) Living

Message 2 of 3 (321 Views)

Interesting idea - my sister and I have talked about this off and on for several years but she has a husband and I am single so at this point it's not an option.  My best friend and I have also discussed but now she is caring for her elderly mother with Alzheimers.  In addition, she is on the East Coast with grandkids nearby and I am on the third coast (Texas) with grandkids nearby.  If you can come up with the right group, I think it would be a great way to avoid some of the lonely times we tend to have as older people either because we are single by choice or through divorce/death.  The difficulty I see is finding people who want to live in whatever area you are interested in.  Good luck with your endeavor!

Highlighted
Conversationalist

Golden Girls & Boys (Gentlemen) Living

Message 3 of 3 (328 Views)

I would assume most of you remember the show "The Golden Girls"...and what a show that was....I loved it. 

The reason I am bringing this up is that I am thinking about finding a nice place to live with a couple of roommates. An ideal living situation would be me, one other woman and two gentlemen sharing rent. 

I am 60 yrs old and on disability. It's pretty much impossible to afford a nice place on my income. I know there are others out there that are in the same boat as me so I am calling out to you. I want to enjoy my life...not worry about who is going to take care of me when I'm old. There is so much I want to do but spending every penny on a home and food by myself is unbearably lonely.

Anyway, before I go into too much, I just wanted to throw this out here to see if anyone else would be interested in doing this. If you might be, just share your thoughts and ideas and I'll get back to you. Who knows, maybe we can start our own "Golden Girls & Boys Neighborhood?"

Thanks,

christine (siciliangal)

siciliangal (christine)