AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Conversationalist

Re: Calling all NEWBIES. ... Let's introduce our selves! Use this thread.

Message 21 of 208 (404 Views)

I'm responding to the latest post, which popped up in my Email. It from from an IT developer/ programmer in state of LA. Sounds to me more like a "help wanted" ad, or "I can do this stuff" ad... not much like a "Hi, I'm so'n'so, let's do lunch" kind of thing. Isn't there another Topic Thread for that sort of thing??? (Rhetorical  Smiley Tongue  )

Conversationalist

Message 22 of 208 (401 Views)

Antoine S. Madere

IT Applications Programmer

01/2008 - 08/2017 -- State of Louisiana, Division of Admin., BATON ROUGE, LA

Perform computer program and job development, modification, conversion (Cobol to Natural), and documentation. In various IT areas, test new or modified program functions and install into production. Work with software users about application requirements, objectives, functions, features, input, and output needs. Analyze, define, and document computer software requirements for job flow, hardware and operating system environments, interfaces with other systems, internal and external checks/controls, and output data and reports. Test developed applications to find errors and confirm that installed applications meet required user specifications. Write and maintain support documentation to describe application logic, testing, changes, and corrections. Provide any needed technical assistance and respond to user inquiries about errors, problems, or questions concerning installed application software. Work with IT staff, users, and applications to solve problems with existing computer software. Install and monitor applications and performance after implementation.

Library Technician

06/2005 - 01/2010 -- River Center Library, BATON ROUGE, LA

Assist with the library tasks of acquisition, circulation, and referencing. Perform any required clerical duties. Work at the circulation and reference desk, answer phones, and research patron reference questions. Charge and discharge books, collect fines, register new patrons, and renew library items. Assist all patrons in the proper use of the library and its functions. File and process library items using the proper catalogue procedures. Assist patrons in the selection and location of books, card catalog, and other library items. Compile monthly library usage by patrons and keep track of daily attendance statistics.

Workforce Development Officer

01/2005 - 04/2005 -- Louisiana Dept. of Labor, BATON ROUGE, LA

Review veteran data records and job placement inquiries maintained in the Louisiana LAVOS employment system. Organize and update veteran record data as needed. Document LAVOS cases according to actions taken. Report case actions to superiors and maintain the confidentiality of all veteran record data.

Computer Programmer Analyst

02/2001 - 07/2004 -- Union National Life Insurance Co., BATON ROUGE, LA

Perform computer program and job development, modification, conversion, and documentation. Test new or modified program and job functions. Install computer software code into production. Areas of responsibility were insurance payments, loan records, payroll, and agent performance bonuses.

Antoine S. Madere
Info Seeker

Message 23 of 208 (421 Views)

Excited to be part of the group. My name is Josh, I'm a lawyer in Los Angeles, CA. AMA! Looking forward to meeting new people and contributing to the AARP community. Let's connect!

Joshua-L-Goldstein-Los-Angeles.jpg

Info Seeker

Message 24 of 208 (426 Views)

Hello everybody!!!

I am Eduardo Chavez-Guerrero and live in San Antonio.

I need help in finding affordable housing. I currently live in a very nice gated comunity in the North Central area. The problem in that I cannoy pay the rent ($800.00) and I'm eating my savings.

I live along and need a one-bedroom apartment can someone help me? Please?

Info Seeker

[ Edited ]
Message 25 of 208 (458 Views)

Hi to all,

I am a mom and nanny (grandma). I grew up in a very family oriented group so having family around is a big thing for me. The family is also very big so you get use to having people around. Many people we meet become bonus family and are welcome always. We love to geocache, and go to the coast, mountains or family's homes. This household is very nerdy. We fight the dark arts with Harry Potter, go on adventures with Doctor Who, Pokemon are our friends, we appreciate calcifer and enjoy spending time with tortoro. Star Wars and Star Trek are part of our world. We love crossing Abbey Road, with big hero 6, inside out and especially the nightmare before Christmas. Pac Man, Mario and Pooh are welcome guests. The Starry Night is something we love looking at. We travel with the hobbits and love elevensies. If you come to our home and leave hungry, it is most likely your fault because we will try and feed/hydrate you. Basically, comfort, love and fun are spoken here. 

I am disabled and fighting for my ssi. That seems like a never ending project. I try to keep myself into the other things though and not my health so much. I have always been the one who takes care of everyone and everything. Probably will be still at my own funeral.  It is nice to "meet" you all.

Melissa Murphy
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 26 of 208 (479 Views)

j952579d wrote:

Me too I'm new n have a hard time posting!!!! How do I put a picture on my post? Anyone pls help...I'm Julie, from Glendale, CA

@j952579d  Hello and welcome to the online community!

Here's how to post images. Above your composition screen you'll find a row of icons that look like the image below..

AARPComposition Screen Icons.png

Select Photos.

From there you can either drag and drop your photos or click the Choose Files button to upload an image from your computer.

Photo Feature Drag and Drop or Choose File functionsPhoto Feature Drag and Drop or Choose File functions

While at the Add Photo page depicted above, you'll note size and placement options on the right side of your screen.

Hope this helps. Post those gorgeous photos and have fun!

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 27 of 208 (480 Views)

Me too I'm new n have a hard time posting!!!! How do I put a picture on my post? Anyone pls help...I'm Julie, from Glendale, CA

JMD
Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 28 of 208 (466 Views)

@a956730s  You have so much on your plate right now. I do know, it's a lot to deal with. One of the things you need to do is stay especially alert about what you are doing while driving, or using any tools, cooking, etc. When there is that much happening for your mind to deal with, it's easy to hurt yourself or cause an accident. So stay alert...

Next thing.  Find a way to get out of your head just to give your brain a break. For me, it was through listening to recorded books. There were times that my mind would have to be pulled back into focus, or a part replayed, maybe more than once. But with practice you will be able to do it. Before that, trying to sleep meant that the little hampster in my brain would be running on his wheel for most of the night. 

Then eat healthy meals and keep to as regular of a meal schedule as you can. Routine can be calming. 

Also remember to thank your higher power. Be greatful for what is, not for what is not. Stay strong. You will be getting lots of prayers and good thoughts from many people who don't know you, but feel that strength as it arrives. 

Conversationalist

Message 29 of 208 (461 Views)

I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my Dad when I was 20 in 1971 but we had to watch him suffer, he was 45. I lost my Mom in 2008, she was 82 and struggled with alzheimers for 11 years. Be glad your mom passed unexpectedly. You are never ready but atleast she didn't suffer. Hang in there Honey. I will offer you my shoulder anytime.

Kathy Mc

Info Seeker

Message 30 of 208 (465 Views)

Hello, My Name is Robin L. Gooch from Bridge City Texas.  I just joined AARP today.  My 50th birthday was Monday.  

I am looking for some advice about losing a family member namely a mother.  I am having a horrible time.  I lost her in Sept of last year unexpectedly.  Just need a shoulder to lean on or an ear to bend.  Thank you.