Caring for loved ones?

Find the resources you need

Help Guidelines My Settings

Community
Current Events

Community Manager
AARPLynne

Share a Memory to Honor Our Veterans

Even though I have many fond memories of my father-in-law while he was still living, the image below of his final resting place is a lasting memory that can't be put into words. Let's honor our Veterans by sharing memories--or images--of those who have served.

Please use plain text.
Community Manager
AARPLynne

Share a Memory to Honor Our Veterans

Even though I have many fond memories of my father-in-law while he was still living, the image below of his final resting place is a lasting memory that can't be put into words. Let's honor our Veterans by sharing memories--or images--of those who have served.

Please use plain text.
Silver Conversationalist
dw9240

Re: Share a Memory to Honor Our Veterans

My grandfather served in WWI  He lost his left leg to a land mine.  While he was alive my folks would send us to Oregon to spend two weeks with our grandparents every summer.  My folks would drive from Arizona to OR to spend 3 or 4 days with them then we'd all leave.  One summer when I was 11, my sisters and I were playing stumpy.  Gramps would take off his wooden leg and let us play with it.  Our parents arrived while we were playing.  The expression on my Mom's face when she understood what stumpy was is priceless.  She was utterly appalled.  Gramps told her.  "Leave them alone.  They are doing no harm and are having innocent fun."  "But Dad".  He laughed and told her to lighten up.
He never lost his sense of humor.  He grieved for the lives lost.  But when asked about the war he would not talk about it except to say.  "The Great War was necessary, we hoped it was the war to end all wars, but that is not the case.  A very sad thing."  And would refuse to say anything more.  He is sorely missed. 
I have family in every branch of the services. 
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
sallyedelstein

What my WWII veteran father had done in the war and what the war had done to him was never clear to me growing up. Like many of the greatest generation silence was a heroic virtue. Every year on Veterans Day my dad would bring down his army jacket to try on, a yearly reminder of a past life we had no part of. Over time the stories would slowly  come out Paying tribute to the greatest generation .http://wp.me/p2qifI-QD
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
mommyestes

My friend in High School...Dundalk, Maryland....Charlie Boynton, made the supreme sacrifice. On the "Virtual Wall" I posted the following:

http://www.virtualwall.org/db/BoyntonCB01a.htm

If you have someone you'd like to leave a message about, this is a great site.
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
jfitch70

I am so glad to see our nation, our citizens and our local communities honoring those who served in Iraq, Afghanistan, and elsewhere. When I returned from Vietnam, I was yelled at, spit on and generally ostracized by everyone. The isolation and degradation caused me to drink and do drugs....my mental state was already fragile from the war, it was made much worse by the reception I received on my arrival home. I eventually got a grip on my life when I realized I was the only one who could do it. I had two choices, end up in the gutter or get myself together and become a productive member of society. I chose the latter.....but it was and still is hard.
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
bk3047

In gratitude to all who served

My father-in-law William Hickey was a friend, mentor and unfailing patriot.
Bill served in Korea, twice wounded and stricken with Malaria.
His devotion to family and love of country will continue with all who knew him.
I never knew Bill to turn from someone in need. He truly personified what every one blessed to be born in the U.S.A.
should aspire to.
Thanks to Bill and all others like him, this is still the greatest country in the world.
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
mk7018

On December 7, 1941, my mother and father, Marie and Jack, were stationed in Hawaii - my father was a Lt. Commander and electrical engineer at Pearl Harbor and my mother was a cost accountant with the Army Corps of Engineers.  They lived in Alewa Heights above Honolulu, and over breakfast that Sunday morning they saw the Japanese planes coming down over the mountains on their run into Pearl, dropping bombs on various parts of Honolulu on the way.  Turning on the radio, they heard a call for personnel to report to the Navy Shipyard, so my father and Fred, his neighbor, left their wives to their ringside seats in the Heights and somehow drove down through the chaos to report in and do what they could.  HIckham Field, where my mother worked, had been so decimated in the first strike that there was no need for cost accountants to report for work that morning.  So, she and Virginia spent the day with their neighbors pooling food they had on hand and storing water in every conceivable utensil they could find.  I was born in 1943, at the height of the war in the Pacific, and over the years they told me unique stories of both small and large acts of faith and courage that they witnessed and heard about on that day and the days following, but they won't fit in this little post in memory of them, their friends and all who were there.
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
brick58

I lost two uncles in world war two that I never got to see alive just pictures
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
ejsanchez

And I thought i would never see it come down. but as the saying goes "What Goes Up Must Come Down". I was there back in 62 and still alive in 87 when it came down. I am talking about the Berlin Wall amd a;sp abpit tje Cibam Crisis.

Thanks to our veteran we are still free. And for those of you who do not know. We people from Mexico came saw and Served this GREAT COUNTRY THAT IS CALLED GOOD OLD U. S. A. I was and still am a Mexican Citizen but this is my country and glad that I Served in its Armed Forces. Go 101st Airgorne Division.

Enrique.

Thank You to the greatest country and people of this universe.
Please use plain text.