Free Caregiving Webinar: Managing Your Loved One’s Finances - Tuesday at 7p.m. ET  Register Now

Conversationalist

Re: sunscreen brands

Message 1 of 19 (669 Views)

I haven't previously heard of the Burnout line. Thank you for suggesting it. I'm off to research it now.  And yes, this is a very important topic for anyone, but especially those of us who are over 50, who were not as well informed about the dangers of tanning and sun exposure when we were young, as youth is today.

Conversationalist

Message 2 of 19 (680 Views)

The reason I decided on Loving Naturals was the number of ingredients is very very low and it's barrier protection and rating. However, there is another brand with 20%+ zinc oxide barrier which is hard to find in sunscreens. You might ask for a sample of Burnout Ocean, we keep that one in our house for swimmers who visit. If you need something less emollient you might enjoy the Burnout line. They also make one for face, we found it left us with a white face, which didn't work well for a daily sunscreen, but that is probably our drier skin. These two brands cost a little more, but the price is worth the protection and safety!! Thanks again for opening this discussion!  May we all never get skin cancer. 

Conversationalist

Message 3 of 19 (694 Views)
Oh, that's good to know. I do appreciate their ingredients, so it's definitely worth another try. Thanks so much for sharing this.
Conversationalist

Message 4 of 19 (698 Views)

I myself admit to spending good money on brands that were not great for us-years later finding this out through the power of the Internet!  You might consider giving LN another try.  They have improved the mix, making it a little less emollient. Although, here in Southern Arizona we appreciate the moisture for outdoor sports like golf!!  

Thanks for working to educate and share!!

Conversationalist

Message 5 of 19 (705 Views)

I agree on the "junk" comment. Even good brands can fail us (watch those expirations AND strength of ingredients from the active ingredients list). I found Loving Naturals too greasy on my skin, but the important thing is to find what works best for each of us (and I appeciate the ingredients in LN). Still on the hunt for my own personal "holy grail" so sharing this info is helpful. Thank you.

Conversationalist

Message 6 of 19 (706 Views)

I know. That's why I showed the specific Alba Botanicals that I often use (and it has a decent rating at EWG, which I mention in my video). The most important thing is first line protection (shade, hat, sunglasses, sleeves, under 20 minutes exposure, etc.) followed by sunscreens that are 1) best for MY skin type and 2) that do not contain the hormone disrupting ingredient oxybenzone. As long as we are taking the proper steps to protect our skin (and scalp!), that's what matters most.

Conversationalist

Message 7 of 19 (718 Views)

You really need to check AVEENO sunscreen at ewg.org .

Conversationalist

Message 8 of 19 (723 Views)

Check Alba at ewg.org you will find it isn't the best choice. Some in that line do have dangerous ingredients. I used to use it until I actually researched. 

Conversationalist

Message 9 of 19 (724 Views)

Know your sunscreen! Sunscreens and cosmetics may be checked at EWG.ORG. There you will find safety information and ratings from an organization which does independent reviews and tracking on the chemicals and content.  

We use Loving Naturals Sport This brand ranks in the best and it contains excellent coverage Non-Nano Zinc Oxide 24.7% the highest in protective, safe, coverage from the sun.  

My spouse has had multiple bouts of skin cancer and MOHS surgeries. We educated ourselves and switched to this good brand.  

Be careful with what you buy, many are junk. 

Info Seeker

Message 10 of 19 (992 Views)
Aveno is great!