Penalties Loom for ACA Enrollees Who Don’t Switch to Medicare by Sept. 30. Read More

Trusted Social Butterfly

Re: helpful tidbits

Message 1 of 8 (408 Views)

@LaDolceVita  I've been doing the oil pulling a couple of years but not consistently.  I suppose I should get into a better regimen.  Woman Very Happy

@ASTRAEA  The melting point of coconut oil is rather low.  You can find sources that quote temps for 75 to 78 degrees.  I usually keep my thermostat set at 74* summer and winter, so the oil is already in a semi-liquid state.  My AC has not been working for the past several days and when the room temp got up to 78* the coconut oil was completely liquid.

It's not necessary to melt it unless you are for the "mouth feel" or aesthetic reasons, since it will melt as soon as it hits your tongue.  Otherwise, you can melt the disired amount in a small dish in the microwave for a couple of seconds, or you can keep a small medicine bottle filled with the oil from your larger original jar/bottle and place it in a small bowl of warm water until it's liquid and pour out enough for your oil-pulling.

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Respected Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 2 of 8 (422 Views)

@ASTRAEA  I have read of people using magnesium oil for mouth sores but eeek, no I would not try it.   Might be painful.  It burns even on unbroken skin occasionally.

Oil pulling with coconut oil is easy to do as it melts as soon as you put it in your mouth.  I do have a problem with doing it for 20 minutes, I usually have to talk to a dog or a person after about 5!!  Believe it or not I began doing it first thing in the morning recently, before coffee.  But I have a strong stomach. I try to do another round later in the day.  It feels very soothing because of my tongue problems.  

vita umbratilis
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 8 (448 Views)

I've been reading up more about oil pulling, and some of the suggestions just don't seem that viable. They recommend coconut oil, but never mentioning heating it into a liquid state .. and I sure don't know how you could "pull" (rinse vigorously) with it in it's soft - but solid - state! They recommend you do it for 20 minutes .. seriously? My jaw would cramp! They also suggested doing it first thing when you wake up, to get rid of all the bacteria .. and then you eat breakfast 10 minutes later?!

About using magnesium oil, I've read that it's recommended for topical use .. so is it OK to use in your mouth for sores too?

Registered on Online Community since 2007!

[ Edited ]
Message 4 of 8 (468 Views)

@Prosecco6247  Good stuff!!  I have not seen your thread yet but have wanted to start something like that here for a while.  Nothing like personal experiences shared by smart people.  I have learned a tremendous amount that way.

How long have you been doing the oil pulling?

Magnesium oil is available from Amazon. 

vita umbratilis
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 8 (499 Views)

Wow! This sounds amazing! I had no idea that magnesium oil could be used this way for so many ailments. I may have to give it a try.

@ASTRAEA - Thanks for the link. That article was really helpful.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 8 (507 Views)

@Prosecco6247, @LaDolceVita - I've heard of "oil pulling" too a while back, and thought it was a little "out there". But since you mentioned it now, I did a little online research: Uses & Benefits of Magnesium Oil. If you scroll down, they should one particular product on the market .. and it's also on Amazon (why am I not surprised about that?)! Smiley Happy

I take a calcium & magnesium supplement .. but maybe I'll try magnesium oil too. If you Google, you may find a listing for "making it yourself"!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 8 (518 Views)

LaDolceVita wrote:

I read about oil pulling several years ago & thought it was sort of nutty.  I became desperate to find a treatment for mouth sores after 3 doctor visits  & a referral to an ENT.  I gave the oil pulling a try & my mouth is better but this problem is cyclical so it may have gotten better on its own.  The gift I received was considerably whiter teeth!!   My mom asked what the dentist had done to get the improvementWoman Very Happy.

I had a spot on my scalp which became red & itchy.  I tried castor oil & coconut oil, coal tar shampoo with very small success.  I stumbled on a message board post which recommended magnesium oil.   It worked!!

Wow!  I never expected this to come up...I might have read the same article and I, too, thought it was a little "nutty."  I was having dental issues that the periodontist explained may have something to do with a history of root canals.  He explained that the interior of the tooth where the nerve pulp was removed had a tendency to "dry out" over time and weaken the tooth structure.  He wasn't recommending  "oil pulling"...rather he was explaining why I was having tooth "breakage" and why I was requiring tooth implants.

The light bulb came on and I thought that this might be the answer to my problem.  Too early to tell, but I think there are multiple benefits to be derived from the practice and I say don't knock it until you've tried it.  The tooth whitening aspects are visibly measurable and, in my mind, may come from the protective value of the oil on the permeable surface of the teeth.  (Always looking for an underlying scientific principle!  😃  Woman LOL

Where do you find the magnesium oil?

@LaDolceVita  You were the inspiration for a new thread I started yesterday on "Life Hacks" to save money and time!  This is just the type of post that I was talking about!

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

helpful tidbits

[ Edited ]
Message 8 of 8 (525 Views)

I read about oil pulling several years ago & thought it was sort of nutty.  I became desperate to find a treatment for mouth sores after 3 doctor visits  & a referral to an ENT.  I gave the oil pulling a try & my mouth is better but this problem is cyclical so it may have gotten better on its own.  The gift I received was considerably whiter teeth!!   My mom asked what the dentist had done to get the improvementWoman Very Happy.

I had a spot on my scalp which became red & itchy.  I tried castor oil & coconut oil, coal tar shampoo with very small success.  I stumbled on a message board post which recommended magnesium oil.   It worked!!

vita umbratilis