AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Info Seeker

Re: You be the expert on health

Message 1 of 56

I had a friend in Juneau with similar problems. Fortunately she is a health expert by trade. Her advice: gentle exercises that loosen up the thoracic spine (chest) to improve blood flow. Nothing too strenuous. Eliminate high glycemic carbohydrates. But when you absolutely must eat sweets ( let’s be real) eat some fiber just before. (Such as an apple) To reduce the inflammation she found that 100 mg of grape seed extract worked wonders. A word of caution when purchasing vitamins online: never buy from Amazon. Buy direct from manufacturer. There is a book that rates vitamin companies to help choose. Good luck 

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 2 of 56

Thanks for the Kudos. Each day is a journey to better health for me. I live in Alaska, so there is limited sunshine here. It's summer here and for the first time in my 6 years here, it feels like fall~~fall with high pollen alerts. I also have COPD; allergies so I stay in when it's like this. It's 48 and feels like 46. Has been raining since last Tuesday.  So I walk the halls of my apartment, if I feel up to it just to get movement going. I go to the Gym twice a week. I'm determined to not take insulin. I'm 65 years young , and still moving forward. I just graduated college for Healthcare Administration May 1st.  Not ready to sit in a rocking chair yet!   ;-)

Peace and Blessings
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 56

@dw17543009 - Welcome to "Online Community"! I gave up dairy about 8 months ago, as well as breads/grains, and sweeteners. Maybe I'll have plain yogurt once every 2 or 3 weeks, and coffee w/cream that infrequently as well.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Info Seeker

Message 4 of 56
I am new to this community and it seems not too many people are visiting . I just want to say that having given up ALL dairy products, and using Almond or Coconut in it's place has lessened my congestion of my respiratory system. When I cheat and eat ice cream I suffer later.
Peace and Blessings

Message 5 of 56

I'm reminded of another easy but beneficial health tip: don't take yourself so seriously. Stated another way: live and let live. 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving

Message 6 of 56

There are ten zillion books and articles on eating healthy.  There is no lack of information on the subject.  Mostly there is lack of interest unless/until an individual comes across a reason to pay attention.  Everyone seems to want a quick fix.  There isn't one.  You need to have a good mix of activity and healthy diet to keep  your weight in check.  Is it fun to exercise and eat healthy if you want to lay on the couch and eat chips?  No it probably isn't.  But eventually you will not be able to get up off of the couch if that is your life style, so you are kind of pressed into some degree of health.  And the bad news is that the older you get, the harder it will be for your body to overcome the excesses you indulge in.   So,  take a walk and don't eat all the stuff you see on TV;  pizza chips donuts, pop, candy cookies  : )

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith

Message 7 of 56

@retiredtraveler - Your post triggered another thought about eating habits - Don't eat supersized portions!

I hate that many people choose restaurants based on large portion size or "endless xyz". While some may intend to take a doggie bag home for a 2nd meal, they may continue to "pick at their plate" while sitting & socializing in a restaurant .. a bad idea. Often the "endless" items are starch (i.e. breadsticks, garlic bread, etc), and cheap items to fill you up .. instead of the more expensive protein items! Even "endless salad bar" can be a problem; it's only OK if you stick to the plain or pickled veggies, and limit or avoid everything with mayonnaise & other fat-laden sauces!

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 56

".....So eating less meat is an easy way to make room for fiber, which really may save the world.....".

The tip we learned decades ago, and embraced, is that one doesn't eat a plain piece of meat (yeah, on occasion, you don't have to be a fanatic). Almost everywhere in the world, it is relatively uncommon, if never done, to have a slab of meat of any kind. Instead, meat is always cut and part of a stew, stir fry, a mix of some type.  We only have burgers, for instance, maybe half a dozen times a year. We never have steak, or ribs. Virtually everything we cook is stir fried, or done in Thai, Indian, or Asian-style cooking. You get lots of veggies this way and meat is used in very small quantities.

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.

Message 9 of 56

Don't let temporary injuries & other priorities totally derail your healthy lifestyle program; just pick up where you left off, and keep truckin'!

Message 10 of 56

So when @AARPTeri posted this thread, being a health nut and a former food and lifestyle columnist, I jotted down a bunch of tips. Some I tossed, others I combined, but most I ended up posting. This is the last tip from that list.

Don't automatically peel your fruits and vegetables. There's nutrition gold in those peels!

peeling apple.jpg

Here's the rule of thumb: if the peel is a different color than the flesh of the fruit or vegetable, then eating it will boost your nutritional intake. 

The caveat: some peels soften when cooked, while others remain inedible. Learn more from Bon Appétit: http://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/cooking-tips/article/why-you-shouldnt-peel-your-vegetables

Here's a piece on the subject via the Washington Post.

Bonus tip: save vegetable peels and pieces in the freezer. Use them to make your own nutritious, low sodium stock at home. Better nutrition and less food waste. What a deal!

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving