The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Working Longer but Dying Sooner?

Message 1 of 4 (74 Views)

@nyadrn - My Mom was diagnosed with breast cancer the month before she was set to retire at 65. Although she followed all the medical protocols at the time, the cancer returned, and then spread. She died at 77, with a good part of her retirement taken up by invasive medical treatments.

When she died, it gave me enough of an inheritance so that I could retire at 50; especially helpful because her death left me as caregiver for an elderly aunt. I figured that if I started my retirement early, I might get in a good 15 years, before the age at which she was diagnosed! As it turned out, I was diagnosed at 62 .. so I had 9 totally healthy & carefree years, aftter my aunt died. Treatment is a lot better now, so I'm hoping I pass that 77 mark too.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!

[ Edited ]
Message 2 of 4 (95 Views)

Yes, it concerns me, although all I can say from a personal experience perspective is that we do seem to be dying sooner. The working longer part I can't speak to. From here it seems older folks are getting pushed out of jobs on the basis of health related disability. This happened to 6 people in my circle in the past 3 years. One has died, two have a 1 year life expectancy and the rest are either regrouping or floundering.

I can also say that from here it seems people are dying before their 65th birthday as if that was the new norm. I can think of dozens of people in my neighborhood and in my life that either passed already or are on death's door and who are/were 1-3 years younger than 65.  One or two of those mentioned died in a car accident, but the rest are from lifestyle diseases.

This, of course, has made a born again healthy lifestyle preacher out of me. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving

Message 3 of 4 (106 Views)

There might be nothing we can do to change the social security pay out ranges but there are things we can do to be around to enjoy retirement. 

Are you concerned and doing what you can? Or does this not concern you?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith

Working Longer but Dying Sooner?

Message 4 of 4 (108 Views)

We’re Working Longer, But Are We Dying Sooner?

As the retirement age increases, our health isn’t rising to the challenge

The age when Americans can claim full Social Security benefits is rising — from 65 in 2002 to 67 in 2027 — which means many of us are pushing retirement and working later into life.

You’d hope to see increasing life expectancies and prolonged healthiness to even out this trend, but new data reported from the journal Health Affairs via a Bloomberg report suggests otherwise. Older Americans have more serious health problems than they used to, making it difficult to enjoy these shortened retirement periods.

http://www.nextavenue.org/working-longer-dying-sooner/

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith