AARP's Response to Trump Administration’s Decision to Discontinue Paying Federal Cost-Sharing Reductions. Read Here

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: What's Your Fitness Age?

[ Edited ]
Message 1 of 16 (5,706 Views)

Bellachiq wrote:

I JUST TOOK THE FITNESS TEST, SCORED AS A 20 YR OLD!!!! I EARNED IT, HAVE BEEN WORKING OUT DAILY SINCE I WAS IN MY EARLY 20'S, ALSO I TRAINED MANY OTHERS & I STILL WORK OUT, (HIIT) TODAY!!! LOVE THE WAY IT MAKES ME FEEL & LOOK!

@Bellachiq Staying fit richly rewards you in the feel & look department. Good for you! Keep up the excellent work (outs)! Smiley Happy

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving

Message 2 of 16 (5,728 Views)

Hey all you incredibly inspiring super fit seniors, here's an article you may be interested in:  Nutrition Needs of Senior Athletes http://community.aarp.org/t5/Healthy-Living/Nutrition-Needs-of-Senior-Athletes/td-p/1825466

Hope to see you at the Senior Games!

Original article source: http://www.ideafit.com/fitness-library/nutrition-needs-of-senior-athletes

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Info Seeker

Message 3 of 16 (5,786 Views)

I JUST TOOK THE FITNESS TEST, SCORED AS A 20 YR OLD!!!! I EARNED IT, HAVE BEEN WORKING OUT DAILY SINCE I WAS IN MY EARLY 20'S, ALSO I TRAINED MANY OTHERS & I STILL WORK OUT, (HIIT) TODAY!!! LOVE THE WAY IT MAKES ME FEEL & LOOK!

Conversationalist

Message 4 of 16 (5,914 Views)

Here is a link to the NY Times story, and you will find a link to the study in it:

NYTimes: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/10/15/whats-your-fitness-age/

[ Edited ]
Message 5 of 16 (6,075 Views)

grandad2001 wrote:

I took this test on-line early last year and my fitness age came out at 34, and I couldn't even get credit for the 6th and 7th days of sustained high intensity workouts that I do every week.  I have a resting pulse rate of 43 and weigh what I weighed in the seventh grade, 155.  I just cruzed past 72-1/2.  It's do able and feasible.    

Woo hoo you! Inspiring!

DH weighs what he did in high school (he just took his pulse: 51). I'm currently 6 pounds over that weight. (But then I didn't go through puberty until after hs graduation, either, and that has significantly changed my body type)

Question re resting pulse: is that dangerously low? Mine is 55. Here's a chart: http://www.topendsports.com/testing/heart-rate-resting-chart.htm

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 16 (6,089 Views)

I took this test on-line early last year and my fitness age came out at 34, and I couldn't even get credit for the 6th and 7th days of sustained high intensity workouts that I do every week.  I have a resting pulse rate of 43 and weigh what I weighed in the seventh grade, 155.  I just cruzed past 72-1/2.  It's do able and feasible.    

Super Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 16 (6,294 Views)

I'm 70 but the doc says I could easily pass for 85.

Message 8 of 16 (7,227 Views)

Giving the original post a bump to the top!

I stumbled upon this story about Fitness Age posted 2 years ago by the New York Times (link at the bottom), and since I'm looking to improve my physical conditioning, used the Fitness Age calculator to get a meter reading of my present state. Here's a screenshot of the results.

My Fitness Age as of this week (I hope to improve this year)My Fitness Age as of this week (I hope to improve this year)So that's my Fitness Age and VO2 as of this week. I live and train a mile above sea level, a fact that reduces my VO2 by 5% (as compared to my capacity at sea level). I see room for improvement in this, but then I intend to defend my cycling records at the World Senior Games this October, so I'm pretty motivated in that department.

But what motivates you? Grandchildren? A desire to feel better both physically and emotionally? Maybe you wish to reduce medical costs. Perhaps you are to be in a wedding party this summer and want to look great in that dress. Your motivation is yours; however the road to fitness is traveled in the same manner by everyone: one healthy step at a time. 

A selection of excerpts from the NYTime piece, titled What's Your Fitness Age?:

"The concept of fitness age has been developed by researchers at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology in Trondheim, who have studied fitness and how it relates to wellness for years.

Fitness age is determined primarily by your VO2max, which is a measure of your body’s ability to take in and utilize oxygen. VO2max indicates your current cardiovascular endurance.

It also can be used to compare your fitness with that of other people of the same age, providing you, in the process, with a personal fitness age. If your VO2max is below average for your age group, then your fitness age is older than your actual age. But if you compare well, you can actually turn back the clock to a younger fitness age. That means a 50-year-old man conceivably could have a fitness age between 30 and 75, depending on his VO2max."

"Does an advanced fitness age mean you will die sooner?"

"...people whose calculated VO2max was 15 percent or more below average for their age— meaning that their fitness age was significantly above their chronological years — had an 82 percent higher risk of dying prematurely than those whose fitness age was the same as or more youthful than their actual age. According to the study’s authors, the results suggest that fitness age may predict a person’s risk of early death better than some traditional risk factors like being overweight, having high cholesterol levels or blood pressure, and smoking."

"Thankfully, fitness age can be altered, said Ulrik Wisloff, professor at the K.G. Jebsen Center for Exercise in Medicine at The Norwegian University of Science and Technology, who led the study. His advice if your fitness age exceeds your chronological years or is not as low as you would like? “Just exercise.”"

Read the rest of this article, and use the Fitness Age calculator to find your number at the NYTimes: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/10/15/whats-your-fitness-age/

@j911638w Sorry for the confusion. I reposted the original story above for you. There are links below in the earlier posts, but I've collected them here for you: 

Here, try the fitness age calculator here: http://www.popsci.com/article/science/check-your-fitness-age-research-based-calculator

Here's help in the heart rate department: 
http://www.fitnessmotivators.com/Files/Heart-Rates.pdf

Here's help with the pulse rate: 
http://www.livescience.com/42156-how-to-take-your-pulse.html

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 9 of 16 (7,406 Views)

How can I find out what my fitness age is?  Is there a test or something the doctor has to do?  I want to find out.

Message 10 of 16 (8,324 Views)

@retiredtraveler I'm not sure what I think of 'fitness age' myself, except that the number I got through the calculator matched what my doctor told me when I went in for my last physical. While he has experience with such things, the number still strikes me as subjective. 

Nevertheless, I think adding this number to the bevy of other health measurement numbers we record can help round out one's view of one's health.