Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

What is your favorite cookie?

I went to a wedding recently and the family tradition was that everyone brought a tray of cookies, then all were able to box a variety of homemade cookies to take home.  It got me thinking - what is my favorite, such a hard choice but it has to have some chocolate to be a top contender.  What's your favorite cookies?

AARPTeri
Trusted Contributor

"How do cookies relate to "healthy living"?"

They soothe the soul. 'specially me dear ol' mum's molasses cookies. That's healthy enough for me.

Most every cookie has too much sugar.

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

You should complain about wheat flour instead of sugar.  Do you think that dry pretzels are better than cookies? Pretzels are worse because cooked starch has a higher glycemic index than sugar.

sugar (sucrose) has a glycemic index of 65.

pretzels have a glycemic index of 85.

almond meal has a glycemic index less than 1.

The solution is to eat cookies with a high percentage of almond or other nut meal.  The only way to get get such cookies is to make them yourself because penny pinching manufacturers, e.g., Keebler, won't use copious amounts of relatively expensive ingredients.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@aruzinsky , When I hear " You should . . . " and  "Do you think that . . . " at the start of a sentence, it instantly sounds confrontational to me.  Granted, it's difficult when communicating is strictly words, without the benefit of visual cues, such as body language, facial expression or hearing the tone.  All the more reason to choose your words carefully.

btw, When it comes to baking, I use xylitol instead of sugar. It's a natural sweetener, and has 40% fewer calories and 75% fewer carbs than sugar. Xylitol has an extremely low glycemic index.  An added bonus, because it can't be metabolized by plaque bacteria, it actually helps prevent tooth decay.

---  Christine

Contributor

peanutbutter cookies
Honored Social Butterfly

@g28834s - That's "old think" in my book, that people need sugar/food to sooth their souls .. I'd rather do something fun & healthy.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Honored Social Butterfly

Here's how we have our health and cookies too: train like senior athletes. We ride over 350 miles per month on our recumbent trikes and walk 4.8 miles 3-4 times a week, and get in 45 minutes on the mini-trampoline (rebounder) 2-3 times a week and lift weights 2-3 times a week.

We don't eat cookies often (perhaps every six months), but when we do they are usually Fig Newtons or Gingersnaps. Once in a great while we'll buy a package of Milanos or Pirouettes.

The key is moderation and balance. 

If good health is important to you, giggle at Cookie Monster, but don't follow his example, OK? ๐Ÿ™‚

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Contributor

pizzelles

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

You're doing amazingly well......you don't have time to have a cookie which is a plus!
Honored Social Butterfly

How do cookies relate to "healthy living"?

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Trusted Contributor

Pleasurable!!!
Periodic Contributor

While they may not be much more โ€˜healthyโ€™ as regular cookies, we like most vegan cookies, choc. chip, the best!

Honored Social Butterfly

Has anyone ever tried Ohmigod cookies? They are fantastic.  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Never heard of them. Whatโ€™s in it??
Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

What are they?  Iโ€™ve never heard of them.  They sound amazing.

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

What a great tradition, and even coming from an American-Italian family, haven't heard of taking a box of cookies home (although that always happened at christenings, weddings, wakes).

Not a cookie person, I have to say recently found Oreo brownies @ 99 cent stores and they, while not technically "cookie", are pretty awesome!

Great topic; thanks for posting!

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: โ€œIf Iโ€™d known Iโ€™d live this long, Iโ€™d have taken better care of myself.โ€
Contributor

Raisin squares

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

"Old fashioned" oatmeal with raisins.  I'm not big on chocolate anything.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Contributor

Chocolate Chip
0 Kudos

My favorite cookie is chocolate chip. 

Regular Contributor

Homemade oatmeal cookies, with 50/50 white and whole wheat flour, softened raisins, toasted pecans or walnuts, brown sugar.  They used to be a remedy for a no-breakfast morning when the kids would miss the bus if they didn't hurry.  

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP