The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Walking for Health and Fitness

Message 1 of 8 (76 Views)

doglover52 wrote:

@nyadrn Hi Diane,my close friend,Marcia and I used to walk together Thurs mornings at 6:30,taking the family dog'Aker" aka 'buddy boy with us. We stopped doing this about 2 yrs ago,when she retired.I still walk 'buddy boy' whenever the opportunity arises.

I prefer going by myself on the early walk,this time of yr I always wear my yellow reflector vest.It amazes me to see runners/people walking their dogs with no reflective clothing so other walkers&drivers can see them,how stupid is that !!!

Not s good idea at all. If they can't see you it is dangerous!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 8 (220 Views)

@nyadrn Hi Diane,my close friend,Marcia and I used to walk together Thurs mornings at 6:30,taking the family dog'Aker" aka 'buddy boy with us. We stopped doing this about 2 yrs ago,when she retired.I still walk 'buddy boy' whenever the opportunity arises.

I prefer going by myself on the early walk,this time of yr I always wear my yellow reflector vest.It amazes me to see runners/people walking their dogs with no reflective clothing so other walkers&drivers can see them,how stupid is that !!!

Walkers Take It All In Strides

[ Edited ]
Message 3 of 8 (238 Views)

8 Tips on Walking to Avoid Winter Weight Gain

Just 22 minutes a day can keep you healthier all year round

The leaves are falling from the trees, and you’re likely making plans for Thanksgiving, Christmas and other winter holidays. What you may not plan for is how to avoid winter weight gain in the face of all of those tasty and tempting snacks and meals.

However, you can plan now to combat weight gain. You already know that eating in moderation is a great place to start. But there is also something else that you can do that is super important: Be more physically active.

Walking: A Great Choice

The easiest and most popular aerobic activity is walking. If you are not already part of the 145 million American adults who walk to be more physically active, then it is time to join.

>>  

http://www.nextavenue.org

Message 4 of 8 (242 Views)

nyadrn wrote:

Top 10 Things to Know About Walking
1. Walking Can Help You Burn Fat and Lose Weight: When you walk for more than 45 minutes at a brisk pace, your body must burn stored fat. This helps you not only lose weight, but lose excess body fat.

Brisk Walking Keeps You Thinner Than Other Exercise

The best part of this, IMHO.  Move it or lose it, I always say. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving

Message 5 of 8 (250 Views)

doglover52 wrote:

Diane,thanks for posting this.

I'm a life long walker,the 3 days I had to be at work,I walked 8 blocks,good way to wake me up, before the day began. My job entailed alot of walking,{pharmacy tech delivering narcs to nursing units},so if I wasn't too tired by the end of my shift , I would walk home.It was always a challenge in winter considering 95% of the time sidewalks weren't shoveled at 6am.

My walking routine has changed since I've been retired. I walk everywhere within reason.If I need to go to Target/Kohls,grocery shopping or to the movies I take the bus. I take 3 walks/day weather permitting. I take an early walk around 6:45 go 2 blocks to buy the papers. If I'm home on any given day,I'll take a mid morning walk 3-5 blocks.After lunch and nap,I'll walk around the block.

I always take the stairs,try to avoid taking the elevator in my apt building. The days I can't go outside,I'll walk up/down stairs to our basement couple times/walk around in my small 1 bedrm apt.

I don't go to the gym,why waste my money.I rather be outside walking in fresh air. Sue

Sue you are such a great example for me!!   I really do like walking.  I do walk regularly but not like you do.  When I retire so sure hope I can keep at it like you do 😀 !!

Have you ever walked with a group or someone else or do you prefer to walk solo?

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 8 (253 Views)

Diane,thanks for posting this.

I'm a life long walker,the 3 days I had to be at work,I walked 8 blocks,good way to wake me up, before the day began. My job entailed alot of walking,{pharmacy tech delivering narcs to nursing units},so if I wasn't too tired by the end of my shift , I would walk home.It was always a challenge in winter considering 95% of the time sidewalks weren't shoveled at 6am.

My walking routine has changed since I've been retired. I walk everywhere within reason.If I need to go to Target/Kohls,grocery shopping or to the movies I take the bus. I take 3 walks/day weather permitting. I take an early walk around 6:45 go 2 blocks to buy the papers. If I'm home on any given day,I'll take a mid morning walk 3-5 blocks.After lunch and nap,I'll walk around the block.

I always take the stairs,try to avoid taking the elevator in my apt building. The days I can't go outside,I'll walk up/down stairs to our basement couple times/walk around in my small 1 bedrm apt.

I don't go to the gym,why waste my money.I rather be outside walking in fresh air. Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides

Message 7 of 8 (263 Views)

Top 10 Things to Know About Walking
1. Walking Can Help You Burn Fat and Lose Weight: When you walk for more than 45 minutes at a brisk pace, your body must burn stored fat. This helps you not only lose weight, but lose excess body fat.

Brisk Walking Keeps You Thinner Than Other Exercise
2. You May Not Be Walking Right: You should work on good walking posture, arm motion, and foot motion to get the most out of a walking workout. Avoid these 10 walking mistakes to get the best results.

3. You Need the Right Walking Shoes: While you can take a walk in almost any footwear, you will be able to walk better with flat, flexible athletic shoes that fit right.

4. A Pedometer or Fitness Band Can Motivate You to Walk More: Whether you wear a Fitbit or an old-school waistband pedometer, you will probably walk more if it is tracking your steps each day. If you log 10,000 steps per day, you are likely meeting recommended activity goals.

5. Treadmill Walking Gives a Good Workout: You can avoid the weather and other outdoor walking hazards by enjoying treadmill walking workouts.

6. You Can Walk a 5K, 10K, Half Marathon, or Marathon: Races aren't just for runners. Many events welcome walkers, both swift and slow. Here's how to train for a 5K (3.1 miles), 10K (6.2 miles), half marathon (13.1 miles), or marathon (26.2 miles) walk.

7. Walking is Good for Many Health Conditions: Walking for 30 minutes per day, five times per week is recommended for people with arthritis and for people with diabetes. Regular walking is recommended to prevent or manage many health conditions.

8. You Can Walk Solo or With Walking Friends: You don't need a team to enjoy walking, but it can be a great way to connect with others if you wish to do so. Walking alone or with your dog is a good way to get in a quick workout or break away for a longer stroll, but you can also make walking friends or join a walking club.

9. Walking Can Improve Your Mood: Taking a walk can help relieve stress, improve your mood, and allow you think more clearly.
There may be even more benefits if you walk in a park or natural area.

10. You Can Enjoy a Variety of Walking Workouts: You don't have to do the same walk every time. If you vary your speed and intensity, you can get more fitness benefits. 

https://www.verywell.com/walking-4014629

Walking for Health and Fitness

Message 8 of 8 (266 Views)

Walking for Fitness and Health
By Wendy Bumgardner | Reviewed by Richard N. Fogoros, MD
Updated August 18, 2016
Walking is more than just a way to get around. Walking at any speed is a way to improve your fitness, burn calories, and reduce the health risks of inactivity. Walking the dog, walking in the park, or simply walking around your neighborhood at an easy pace keeps you active and can help you reap benefits.

You get even more benefits for health, fitness and weight loss by walking at a brisk walking pace that puts you into the moderate intensity exercise zone.

You can learn to walk faster by using the right posture, arm motion, and stride. Experts recommend a brisk walk for 30 minutes per day, five or more days per week to reduce health risks.

https://www.verywell.com/walking-4014629