What the Government Shutdown Means for You! Which Federal Government Services Will Be Affected? Read More

Treasured Social Butterfly

Trishaw Rides Invigorate Nursing Home Residents ... but they aren't peddling

Message 1 of 1

"The seniors returned from the trishaw rides happy, talkative and sociable — shaken out of their everyday routines..."

Photo by Cycling Without AgePhoto by Cycling Without Age

It all started with a friendly wave. In 2012, Copenhagen native Ole Kassow’s daily cycling commute took him past a nursing home. Every morning, the management consultant would see impeccably dressed 97-year-old Thorkild, who’d greet him from a spot on a bench, a walker by his side. Kassow wondered about the last time the man — and the home’s other residents — had been on a bike.  (Check out the TED talk here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6Ti4qUa-OU)

Turning strangers into friends — and bringing families closer together. Pernille Bussone, 37, who launched the Singapore chapter two years ago, has become close friends with 87-year-old Annie, one of her regular passengers. Since the chapter’s start, the pair have met up at least once a week, to ride, talk and share stories. “With the trishaw, almost all areas are accessible,” Busson says. “Unlike with a wheelchair, we can go far.” The two women’s friendship goes beyond the bike. “Annie has taught me to cook Peranakan food [cuisine of the early Chinese migrants], to play mahjong, and to to keep my house clean and ant-free,” adds Busson (Annie’s anti-ant trick: lemons).

The benefits aren’t just for the seniors; the pilots learn a ton, too. “I’ve seen places I did not know, and I’ve learned about the history of the area,” says Ditte Jakobsen, the head of the Cycling Without Age chapter in Capbreton, France. Jakobsen, a Denmark transplant, was excited to bring her country’s cycling culture to France and to explore her new home. One passenger gave Jakobsen a guided tour of the local forest, while another shared stories from wartime life inside bunkers on the coastline.

Read the entire piece here: http://ideas.ted.com/why-you-should-take-a-senior-on-a-bike-ride/

###

I quibble with the use of the word seniors here to apparently mean elders with mobility issues. I suggest 'baby' seniors (as the senior games tend to call those of us under 60) and other able-bodied seniors could get much benefit from taking older seniors out for a trishaw ride. 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content