Are You Ready for the Next Natural Disaster? AARP Live Can Help You Get Prepared Tonight at 10 p.m. Watch here

Info Seeker

Re: Tick diseases?

Message 1 of 23 (167 Views)

First off I'm 68 years old and live in Arkansas. In December will be 69. About 4 years ago I was (un)lucky enough to get lyme disease from a tick bite. After researching my symtoms on a web page called WEB DR. I was convinced I had contracted lyme disease. Now; I have very little faith in any Doctors' findings from past events with doctors. All they know how to do is write prescriptions and give shots. If that don't work come back and we'll try something different is there answer.

This will suprise you !  Within a week of my discovery of this problem that I was facing. I was informed by a DOCTOR, that, I would have to go through several months of antibiotics injections (with the hope that it would contain and cure the lyme disease).

To make a long story short I began with the first shot of antibiotics. A day after I had received my shot. I took a trip to Oklahoma to relax at a resort. While there in Oklahoma. I met an old American Indian couple about late 60's or early 70's. The Indian lady noticed the tick bite mark and told me to find some MONOLAURIN (300mg tablets) and use it for 30-60 days and it will cure my lyme disease.

To sum it up. It worked and within 30 days I felt alot better. By the 45th day I had no signs of the disease and continued to take one capsule each day until the 60th day.  Monolaurin is expensive and comes in tablet capsules or liquid form. Tablet capsules are cheaper than the liquid. 90 tablet capsules to a bottle.

Info Seeker

Message 2 of 23 (706 Views)

What a great story.  I'm sorry you had to go though all of that.  

Info Seeker

[ Edited ]
Message 3 of 23 (865 Views)

My husband was bitten by a tick in April 2007 at the same time as his father while hunting mushrooms. His father got the red circle and was given antibiotics immediately. My husband just had a little bite mark. Two weeks later he lost the use of his arms and his legs became weak while he was out of town working. We got him to the emergency room by the end of the third week, and he was diagnosed with Guillain Barre. He was given five plasmapharesis treatments and was "cured." Two weeks later he was down again. This time he was given five IVig (immunoglobulin) treatments and was "cured." Two weeks later he was down again and was rediagnosed with the chronic version of Guillain Barre which is Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy (CIDP) and was given a 6-hour IVig treatment in our home. He now has this 6-hour IVig treatment in our home every five weeks and will do so the rest of his life. He is 62. For those of you who do not know what Guillain Barre is, it is when your antibodies attack your own body by eating holes in your myelin sheath surrounding your nerves. When a hole is eaten through, the nerve is damaged and shuts down whatever muscle it is controlling. Fortunately, he was diagnosed within three weeks and received treatment. Research doctors on the East Coast are now saying that the same tick that carries Lyme's Disease is causing this increase in Guillain Barre and CIDP. However, my husband's neurologist refuses to accept that a tick caused his CIDP. By the time we could actually get a doctor to prescribe antibiotics (two years later), the CIDP had too strong a hold on my husband, and the antibiotics didn't help. We still go motorcycling, sailing, etc., but we don't walk in the beautiful woods behind our home unless we have on long sleeves, long pants, high socks, hats, and lots of tick spray. One of the reasons we bought our home was the woods in the back yard. The blood tests in the Midwest still do not test for Lyme's Disease the way they do on the East and West Coast. 

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 23 (916 Views)

Thank you for your concern and the added information. I appreciate it very much.. Be well..

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 23 (1,142 Views)

I live in Arkansas, everyone, even a doctor, told me that it is very rare here for anyone to get Lyme Disease. They are wrong.  I got Lyme Disease in April of this year, luckily I caught it in time.  The tick was on my forearm, near my elbow.  I just happen to notice it, I carefully pulled it off.  Within 1 hr my forearm, where the tick was, became so red, and the circle was growing, within 4 hrs I started seeing the classic sign, of the "target". I did some research on the internet, then immediately went to the local Urgent Care, where just one look from the Nurse Practicianer, knew it was from a tick.  They did a 5 part blood test, 3 were postive for Lyme's.  I was put on Doxicycline for 2 weeks before the test results were in - 5 days.  Went back to my regular Dr about 2 weeks after finishing the antibiotic, she did another blood blood test, and put me on another 2 weeks of Doxycycline.  I was fine up until a week ago, and got another tick bite on my inner thigh, I waited and watched, started turning more red, couldn't really tell if the "target" was forming because of where the bite was. Then the next day I went back to Urgent Care, There was a slight "target" forming. Was put on another round of antibiotics, no blood test this time, but was told to watch for fever, nausea / vomiting.  I have had fever on and off and nauseated, could be the Doxy.  Went back to Dr today and was told to finish antibiotics, and to return in 2 more weeks for a blood test.  I have been told that since our last 2 winters have been so mild, the insects have multiplied.  Be careful and always, always check yourself, children, grandchildren and animals.  

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 23 (1,445 Views)

Research at University of Virginia medical center:

rare red meat allergy

Star of Texas tick causing red meat allergy

My husband was bitten by a tick while hiking in the D.C./Virginia area in 1980. He immediately began having hives and a severe reaction when eating ANY beef or pork. From that time, he has only been able to eat poultry and seafoods. From 1990-2011 (20 years) we had a summer home in the NC. mountains where he continue to hike and had occasional tick bites, some having the white spot on their backs. About 5 years ago, we learned from a health report on TV about this rare allergy. No doctor in the meantime had a clue why he had this allergy. The cause of the allergy was discovered at the U of VA Medical School as was reported on TV. If you have this allergy, Google this school and Star of Texas tick. It is REAL and dangerous. 

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 23 (1,513 Views)

I contracted Ehrlichiosis about 5 years ago on a camping vacation in southern KY.  I believe the tick moved from my dog to me while the dog was sleeping beside me. I removed it immediately upon finding it but it could have been on me for several hours. About 2 weeks later, it felt like I had the flu. Urgent Care gave me oral antibiotics that didn't help. I was going downhill fast, I returned to Urgent Care who sent me to the ER. The ER ignored us for some time. My fever spiked, I was barely concious so my wife demanded someone see me. Suddenly there was ER staff all around me along with a visiting Dr from Africa. Since it was going to take 4 hours to get blood test results, the African doctor recomended they start me on IV antibiotics based on his experience treating blood infections like Malaria. That may have saved my life. I was started on IV antibiotices, continued  for 3 days. The blood test results indicated Ehrlichiosis. Continued oral antibiotics for 2 weeks after release from the hospital. I lost 15% of my body weight - I just couldn't eat. After that 2 weeks, I returned to work and recovered quickly with no lasting issues except for a fear of ticks. The county health department interviewd me. They wanted to know where I contracted it. There was relief in her voice when she learned it was out of state.

Info Seeker

Message 8 of 23 (1,528 Views)

Chronic Lyme can get worse over time. See a Lyme Literate Medical Doctor if you can afford it. They can treat the coinfections as well as Lyme and you could avoid a lot of the pain you are experiencing. The illnesses you mentioned could all be Lyme and coinfections. How do I know this? I lived it. UNTREATED LYME canme eventually go into symptoms of Parkinson or Alzheimers. You want to avoid that if you can.

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 23 (1,918 Views)

Please do a internet search for "Dr Al Miller  Lyme Disease videos "

there are 4 short videos that explain the symptoms and that different medications may be needed. 

These video can save lives. Lyme disease can be show false positive of many diseases like ALS ,Alzheimer's , MS and many other thing. It is important to understand what's needed. 

Please watch these videos 

Info Seeker

Message 10 of 23 (1,926 Views)

I believe I currently have Lyme's disease.  I was lucky and got the **bleep**