The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Info Seeker

Re: The dirty dozen

Message 1 of 91 (928 Views)

YES!! THEY TASTE MUCH BETTER! ESPECIALLY ORGANIC CHICKEN!

Conversationalist

Message 2 of 91 (933 Views)

Keep in mind that the EPA standards being talked about have been in place for years. Under Obama and prior administrations. Your point is well made but not applicable to this years Dirty Dozen list.

Another thing to factor in is that EWG has been fear-mongering for years. Administrations come and gone but the one constant has been unfounded fears stoked by the EWG.     

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 91 (998 Views)

Not only because they have no pesticides, but the taste is so much better.

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 91 (1,013 Views)

I believe Greatly in the DIRTY DOZEN! I'LL NEVER BUY POTATOES THAT AREN'T ORGANIC!  I ALSO BUY ORGANIC CHICKEN AND EGGS TOO!

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 91 (1,027 Views)
With the people Trump put in charge of the EPA,it is hard to believe anyone would pay any attention to what they have to say!!
Info Seeker

Message 6 of 91 (4,714 Views)
Spoiler

I used to feel that too many people were anti-government agencies, as clearly to have a humane society many things need to be regulated and restricted. Unfortunately now that much of the government has been taken over by such people, I see less and less that I trust it with. Much important and objective info has already been removed from EPA and other sites, so I wouldn't be surprised that the pesticide info, if still there, is reliable anymore. 

Conversationalist

Message 7 of 91 (9,197 Views)

EWG's annual list is misleading from a health risk standpoint. EWG just identifies produce with many different pesticides...it doesn't tell the reader the levels or the toxicities or dietary risks from consuming these crops.  The residue levels are in the parts per billion and trillion which are levels 100 to 1000x lower than what EPA sets as safe levels for single day and lifetime consumption for infants, teenagers and adults, both sexes and all races. See USDA website for Pesticide Data Program and EPA's site EPA.gov/pesticides to learn more. EWG publishes this misleading list every year. Exposure at ultra low levels does not equal risks of concern. If you think so, don't drive or do most other activities.

Info Seeker

Message 8 of 91 (9,204 Views)

Oh, AARP, how ironic you are.  I linked to the "dirty dozen" article from the one on 5 reasons to eat frozen fruits and vegetables.  THAT aricle was accompanied by a photo of frozen strawberries, implying you were recommending we eat frozen strawberries.  Yet, there they are on the top of the dirty dozen list.  What gives?

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 9 of 91 (9,798 Views)

Everyone should be skeptical of everything and everyone to a degree.  It's not the scientists and researcher that are of concern.  It is the beaureaucrat or the CEO or some other lower level manager that is to be scrutinized more closely.  They are the ones that are more likely to be influenced by big money.  That's their point in life, the money.  Workers tend to love their jobs and take great pride in doing the best job they can.  It's the middle men that are of concern.  They produce nothing, they do nothing, but take their cut, which is usually far too much.  They are the group that usually has less scruples, morals or ethics and should always be looked at more closely.  I personally put a lot of faith in scientists and researchers, but I also try to search out as many different points of view and as many "facts" as possible, hearing from as wide an array of people and entities as possible, so I can make a decision for myself that sits well on my mind.  To blindly believe anyone, no matter what their credentials are, is foolish.

Conversationalist

Message 10 of 91 (9,827 Views)

I understand people are skeptical of government; it's unfortunate.  However, I spent my career at EPA in the Pesticide Program and have high respect for the scientists, regulators, and integrity of following the science and law in making decisions on each pesticide. The law requires EPA to regulate the sale and use of a pesticide based on consideration of its potential risks (human and environmental) and benefits. The science and scientific deicison-making process is robust and considered tops among developed nations and which fosters international trade of agricultural commodities.  All required studies (about 120) are reviewed in-depth.  Assessments are rigorous, meet contemporary scientific methods, and are shared with the public. Testing labs are audited by EPA scientists, penalties for any falsification (very rare) are extreme. EPA takes novel/complex science issues to external expert scientists in public meetings for advice.  This and all other deliberations, risk assessments, and proposed decisions on the new use or banning of a use are announced and posted for public comment; EPA considers all comments in making its final decisions.  If new credible information becomes available, EPA removes from the market or adds tighter use restrictions to ensure only pesticides that meet strict safety standards are sold and used.  Farmers and commercial pesticide applicators must be trained and licensed to apply pesticides.  USDA and FDA constantly tests produce (domestic and imported) to ensure only produce with residues at or below establised legal safety levels may enter the market.  Please peruse EPA's website (epa.gov/pesticides) where you'll find an enormous amount of information on each pesticide, past risk assessments, the law, regulations, policies, etc.