The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Info Seeker

Re: The dirty dozen

Message 81 of 91 (1,614 Views)

It will change my shopping in that I will be looking for the dirty dozen items in the organic section from now on.

Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 82 of 91 (1,468 Views)

wilful wrote:

OK - Here is the List:

The Dirty Dozen:

• Strawberries
  • Apples
  • Nectarines
  • Peaches
  • Celery
  • Grapes
  • Cherries
  • Spinach
  • Tomatoes
  • Bell Peppers
  • Cherry Tomatoes
  • Cucumbers
  •    And - No - this does not change my 'choice'.  I just give a quick rinse to these.

I use this information thusly: buy organic varieties of everything that makes the annual dirty dozen list. 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Regular Social Butterfly

Message 83 of 91 (1,458 Views)

OK - Here is the List:

The Dirty Dozen:

• Strawberries
  • Apples
  • Nectarines
  • Peaches
  • Celery
  • Grapes
  • Cherries
  • Spinach
  • Tomatoes
  • Bell Peppers
  • Cherry Tomatoes
  • Cucumbers
  •    And - No - this does not change my 'choice'.  I just give a quick rinse to these.
Recognized Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 84 of 91 (1,499 Views)

@retiredtraveler 

The 7,500 variety of apples detail came from a friend in an email, I didn’t know that either.

Those supermarket apples do leave a lot to be desired. I’m located here in the Buckeye state and we’ve got lots of orchards around here so I’ve taken note of the apples you’ve suggested and plan to check around to see if I can locate them when apple harvesting season begins. I think I’ve tried a pippin years ago but don’t remember much about them. 

Message 85 of 91 (1,279 Views)

@Epster 

You’re right about a quick rinse being sufficient.  I use a vegetable brush around the stem of an apple or when rinsing stalks of celery gives me peace of mind.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 86 of 91 (1,246 Views)

"...Did you know there are over 7,500 varieties of Apples throughout the World, and it would take you 20 Years to try them all if you had one each day....".

Didn't know that there were so many, but learned, long ago, that supermarket apples are crappola. I live in far northern Illinois and a lot of orchards in the area, including southern Wisconsin, grow many old (heirloom) varieties, many hundreds of years old. What a difference!!!  If you get a chance, try an Orange Pippin or Northern Spy..........

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.

Message 87 of 91 (1,239 Views)

ReTiReD51 wrote:

My mom taught us to wash and rinse in water and sometimes scrub with a brush all my fruits and vegetables.  Not only those where I’ll be eating the peel too but even those I have to peel or cut opened. She was always concerned about pesticides and chemicals being sprayed on produce and fruits.

Remember the “Alar” scare about apples back in the 80’s. I think that helped to inform more people about the chemicals and pesticides sprayed on their apples and other fruits and vegetables.

I asked the produce manager at the supermarket chain we shop at a few years ago if the fruits and vegetables grown south of the border and brought up to the cold northern Midwest states each winter could meet USDA /EPA approval. He said I’d be surprised how strict their standards were in South America. I wasn’t convinced that they met the same criteria as those grown in the states or local farm markets including their organically grown ones but I continue to eat my 5 a day but always wash well.

Did you know there are over 7,500 varieties of Apples throughout the World, and it would take you 20 Years to try them all if you had one each day.

http://www.aarp.org/health/healthy-living/info-2017/fruits-vegetables-most-pesticides-fd.html

That's interesting about the apples.

About washing produce: I was taught that a quick rinse takes off most pesticides. No need to scrub. Still, I generally buy organic (or use homegrown organic).

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving

Message 88 of 91 (1,213 Views)

My mom taught us to wash and rinse in water and sometimes scrub with a brush all my fruits and vegetables.  Not only those where I’ll be eating the peel too but even those I have to peel or cut opened. She was always concerned about pesticides and chemicals being sprayed on produce and fruits.

Remember the “Alar” scare about apples back in the 80’s. I think that helped to inform more people about the chemicals and pesticides sprayed on their apples and other fruits and vegetables.

I asked the produce manager at the supermarket chain we shop at a few years ago if the fruits and vegetables grown south of the border and brought up to the cold northern Midwest states each winter could meet USDA /EPA approval. He said I’d be surprised how strict their standards were in South America. I wasn’t convinced that they met the same criteria as those grown in the states or local farm markets including their organically grown ones but I continue to eat my 5 a day but always wash well.

Did you know there are over 7,500 varieties of Apples throughout the World, and it would take you 20 Years to try them all if you had one each day.

http://www.aarp.org/health/healthy-living/info-2017/fruits-vegetables-most-pesticides-fd.html

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 89 of 91 (1,055 Views)

I've seen the lists over the years, but our food habits have not changed. We eat a number of items off those lists on a regular basis.

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.

Message 90 of 91 (1,047 Views)

AARPTeri wrote:

Have you seen the list of the dirtiest fruits and vegetables by the USDA?  What do you think, would this change your choices?

Yes. I pay attention to this list. (there's a new one every year) It absolutely informs my food choices.