How Does Your Brain Score? Take the Staying Sharp Brain Health Assessment

Regular Social Butterfly

Re: The dirty dozen

Message 1 of 17 (14 Views)

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is an agency within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. It consists of the Office of the Commissioner and four directorates overseeing the core functions of the agency: Medical Products and Tobacco, Foods and Veterinary Medicine, Global Regulatory Operations and Policy, and Operations.

www.fda.gov/aboutfda/transparency/basics/ucm192695.htm

Conversationalist

Message 2 of 17 (36 Views)

Unfortunately they EPA is a regulatory body and the FDA is a for profit company that is part of the large chemical companies that make pesticides.

Unfortunately, natural none toxic ways are not cost effective. So research in those areas aren't pursued. 

As to your question of "why not", the answer is simple Money. If it eats into profits the ideas are scrapped.

For the farmers it isn't a question of greed, it's about survival.

The best way for all of us to get honest protections from the FDA and CDC is for them to become not for profit company. Make it impossible for chemical companies like Monsanto and Pharmacuticle companies from buying the FDA and CDC approval.

Conversationalist

Message 3 of 17 (50 Views)

I am wondering if more natural solutions to pesticides are being marketed to farmers through EPA or FDA.  If not...why not?  

Conversationalist

Message 4 of 17 (67 Views)

I've been aware of the pesticide problem for quite a while. The problem with rinsing is that most pesticides are oil based so it won't rinse off during the rain or during watering. By soaking all my fruits and vegetables in water with a pH of 11.5 (an all natural degreaser) it eliminates all the oily pesticide residue. It makes them as pesticide free as organic at half the cost. Plus it makes all of the fruits and vegetables taste amazingly fresh. 

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 17 (190 Views)

I have been well of the issue of strawberries for many years.  I eat organic fruit exclusively, but my concern now is the "drift" of pesticides like Monsanto's Roundup that is showing up in organic fields.  The use of drone crop dusters in the near future might help concentrate pesticides just on the fields where they are meant to be sprayed.  However, we should do whatever we can to grow our own, buy organic and/or shop only from trusted growers. 

Info Seeker

[ Edited ]
Message 6 of 17 (203 Views)

U.S. growers all adhere strict chemical use management (IPM).

Please continue to support your farmers. And please buy local when ever you can.

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 17 (260 Views)

It will change my shopping in that I will be looking for the dirty dozen items in the organic section from now on.

Highlighted
Respected Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 8 of 17 (509 Views)

wilful wrote:

OK - Here is the List:

The Dirty Dozen:

• Strawberries
  • Apples
  • Nectarines
  • Peaches
  • Celery
  • Grapes
  • Cherries
  • Spinach
  • Tomatoes
  • Bell Peppers
  • Cherry Tomatoes
  • Cucumbers
  •    And - No - this does not change my 'choice'.  I just give a quick rinse to these.

I use this information thusly: buy organic varieties of everything that makes the annual dirty dozen list. 

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Regular Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 17 (518 Views)

OK - Here is the List:

The Dirty Dozen:

• Strawberries
  • Apples
  • Nectarines
  • Peaches
  • Celery
  • Grapes
  • Cherries
  • Spinach
  • Tomatoes
  • Bell Peppers
  • Cherry Tomatoes
  • Cucumbers
  •    And - No - this does not change my 'choice'.  I just give a quick rinse to these.
Recognized Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 10 of 17 (532 Views)

@retiredtraveler 

The 7,500 variety of apples detail came from a friend in an email, I didn’t know that either.

Those supermarket apples do leave a lot to be desired. I’m located here in the Buckeye state and we’ve got lots of orchards around here so I’ve taken note of the apples you’ve suggested and plan to check around to see if I can locate them when apple harvesting season begins. I think I’ve tried a pippin years ago but don’t remember much about them.