The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Trusted Social Butterfly

Re: The Effects of Stress on Your Body

[ Edited ]
Message 11 of 14 (774 Views)

"....Can't we just ignor or walk away?...".

That's the whole question. A great many people 'create' stress by their reactions with all that surrounds them. It comes to individual mindset. I watch a great deal of news, but I'm not 'stressing' over it. I'm concerned, and will participate in letter writing, or demonstrate, on issues. But I'm not losing sleep or have an inability to carry on normally over world events, or family 'drama'.

One of many behaviorial issues I just fail to understand. But other than posting on this website, or Tripadvisor (which is fun stuff), or some emails, I don't do social media.

I would think everyone is on 'overload', but they are the ones who can control the off button.......

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 12 of 14 (754 Views)

An excellent & very timely topic!

I have virtually cut myself off from political discussions from both sides, since before the November election, to avoid the stress. I don't believe that our discussions here - or in other social media - have any "productive outcome", so there's no justification for getting stressed. In the beginning, I'd open new discussions, and get upset just reading the initial post; now if a "key word" shows up in the e-mail notification, I just immediately delete it! 

While we all say we hate stress, so many people allow themselves to get caught up in it, when they could avoid it .. like the people who "couldn't" go to work or school, for a few days right after the election. To use Dr. Phil's expression; they must be getting something from that "hysteria" .. attention, bonding with like-minded individuals???

The other day I got an order via Amazon, where it seemed the seller shipped the wrong model, or left a key piece out of the box. That was stressful enough, not being able to speak to the seller directly, and having to re-wrap a very heavy item for return. But that's something only I could handle, and had to .. so that stress was unavoidable. But it reminded me how much I hate that feeling.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Respected Social Butterfly

Message 13 of 14 (449 Views)

There are tons of studies and articles on the affects of stress on the human body.  It can have a significant effect on how you feel!

Sometimes you can see it easily:

a new project comes up at work and after a month the participants are drinking coffee like crazy, going outside for smoke breaks, can't sleep, snap at each other.. all the signs.   

A national event occurs and the stories are all over the news and the social media interest goes off the charts.

A family event occurs and everyone takes sides and the war begins.

So what do the doctors say.. reduce the stress in your life or find ways to cope.

That said, why do people sit and watch the news all day watching stories designed to get a high reaction from us?  Why do they participate in discussions that get so ramped up that people talk to each other in ways that they would never do otherwise?  Can't we just ignor or walk away?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Respected Social Butterfly

The Effects of Stress on Your Body

Message 14 of 14 (443 Views)

Stress is any change in the environment that requires your body to  react and adjust in response. The body reacts to these changes with physical, mental, and emotional responses.

Stress is a normal part of life. Many events that happen to you and around you -- and many things that you do yourself -- put stress on your body. You can experience good or bad forms of stress from your environment, your body, and your thoughts.

Distress can lead to physical symptoms including headachesupset stomach, elevated blood pressurechest pain, and problems sleeping. Research suggests that stress also can bring on or worsen certain symptoms or diseases.

Stress also becomes harmful when people use alcohol, tobacco, or drugs to try to relieve their stress. Unfortunately, instead of relieving the stress and returning the body to a relaxed state, these substances tend to keep the body in a stressed state and cause more problems. Consider the following:

• Forty-three percent of all adults suffer adverse health effects from stress.
  • Seventy-five percent to 90% of all doctor's office visits are for stress-related ailments and complaints.
  • Stress can play a part in problems such as headacheshigh blood pressureheart problems, diabetesskin conditions, asthmaarthritisdepression, and anxiety.
  • The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) declared stress a hazard of the workplace. Stress costs American industry more than $300 billion annually.
  • The lifetime prevalence of an emotional disorder is more than 50%, often due to chronic, untreated stress reactions.

http://www.webmd.com/balance/stress-management/effects-of-stress-on-your-body

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith