Join AARP in Celebration of Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month. Nominate Someone for the AAPI Hero Award

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Ten Ways to Get People to Like You

Message 11 of 14 (150 Views)

@Prosecco6247 - Reading thru the list again, maybe there should be an item for not pigeon-holing anyone based on age, or having preconceived notions about what anyone's thinking or what is/isn't important to them, because of their age.

I think I've posted that the first fundraiser I attended surrounded by strangers, after I retired, I found that as soon as I said I was retired (when asked what company I worked for), the people I was talking to quickly walked away. Had this been a business networking event, that might have been a little understandable .. but a fundraiser for a domestic violence organization?!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Topics: 51
Kudos: 1,564

Message 12 of 14 (143 Views)

Thanks for your comments @ASTRAEA!  I would really like to see other comments pro & con to see how the idea "shakes out"  I think that when many people think of seniors, an image of "Maxine" or the grumpy old man "Muppets" come to mind and we really are unaware that anything's changed since the time we were the young ones.  Woman Wink

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 13 of 14 (148 Views)

@Prosecco6247 - That's a great article & list! The catch-22 is when the people who would most benefit from reading & thinking about that list, are sure they have no need to! Smiley Happy We can all benefit from periodically thinking about these things!!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Topics: 51
Kudos: 1,564

Ten Ways to Get People to Like You

Message 14 of 14 (148 Views)

I was surfing through some blogs on health and family living and came across this article.  I thought it was interesting because many of us, as we get older, find ourselves criticizing the "younger" generation for perceived slights and deficits in their manners, all the while forgetting that we are often seen as gruff or unapproachable as age & minor aches and pains become our daily "companions."  What do you think?  How do we maintain our friendly demeanors and increase our likability factor?  Any tips?  Disagree with the article?

"Do you ever wonder if people like you? Sometimes people start treating you differently and you start to think, am I doing something wrong? Getting people to like you isn’t always at the top of our to-do list, but maybe it should be?"

"You might say, “Well if I were as beautiful as this woman everyone would like me!”

What makes a person beautiful anyway?

"Not necessarily true! There will always be those who adore beautiful people, but then there are also those who drown in jealousy over an attractive person. What makes someone truly beautiful anyway? Did you ever hear someone say they fell in love with their significant other because they were attracted to their personality? I’ve heard it a lot, and if we take a deeper look into what makes people gravitate toward others, it seems that personality does, in fact, have something to do with it."

Read more here:

http://funfamliving.com/ways-get-people-like-you-likable-person/

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.