Watch AARP’s New Celebrity Video Series with Don Rickles, ‘Dinner with Don,’ on Our YouTube Channel

Info Seeker

Re: Should you record your conversations with your doctor?

Message 21 of 36 (2,091 Views)

absolutely! At my husband's colonoscopy, he was still out cold and the doctor, whom I'd never even met, took me in a small corner that had computer generated signs taped on the walls saying, "no recording devices". He led with, "the procedure went well, but have you ever noticed his heart doing something kind of 'funny'?" That was followed by a recommendation to see our physician--today if possible.  

The way the same message was delivered to my husband was much less urgent and he barely paid attention to the warning until I played the tape.

There is no way to remember information when the first sentence stuns you or even the details of a procedure that is new to you when you are not in the medical field. I stand by my right to record information that affects me.

Conversationalist

Message 22 of 36 (1,513 Views)
Hi, this is cwnurse. As I stated in my conversation, Medical Memory can only be seen by the patient & anyone they choose to allow to see it by giving the sign in information & password. If you are at risk of exposure you can have the iPad turned aside, so body privacy can be maintained.
Info Seeker

Message 23 of 36 (1,489 Views)

It is frustrating when your doctor doesn't listen to you. But if you're on Medicare, you might find it difficult to find another provider.

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 24 of 36 (1,289 Views)

ASTRAEA wrote:

@AshokTony - Many medical discussions take place in an examination room, while a patient may be semi-dressed, and I sure wouldn't want to be recorded on video that way!

Good point!  LOL

I noticed at my last visit with my ortho surgeon that they have signs in the exam rooms stating that recording medical personnel is not allowed.  I would never think to do it without asking but this must have come up.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Info Seeker

Message 25 of 36 (977 Views)

I've never recorded a conversation with my current doctor. However, communication is one of her failings. She doesn't listen when I address certain issues; her responses are complete non sequitors. So I know she's not hearing me. Recording – and playing back FOR HER – might make her aware that she's offering to prescribe antidepressants when I'm talking about something completely unrelated.

Or maybe I should look for another healthcare provider and call it a day with her.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 26 of 36 (847 Views)

@AshokTony - Many medical discussions take place in an examination room, while a patient may be semi-dressed, and I sure wouldn't want to be recorded on video that way!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Info Seeker

Message 27 of 36 (836 Views)

It is a very good idea for both, the doctor and the patient.  In fact, thru a proper process, not just audio but video should be done during each visit that could be useful to both in the long run.  It also would be extremely critical in case there are any serius problems, medical issues, change of doctor or a lawsuite just in case.  With a modern technology this could be very easily accomplished and extremely useful for the patient as well to the doctor for keeping health record up to date for an easy reference any thime.     

However, it is equally important to keep the patient's privacy secured and without his/her consent this video record must not be released or made available to anyone.  Similarly, this process must also protect any and all issues related to the medical profession.  Most importantl, this vidoe record is meant to help everyone and not intended to harm anyone.  

Many thanks AARP for giving me an opportunity for my feedback.     

Info Seeker

Message 28 of 36 (793 Views)

I find it much more helpful to have a good pen and note pad with me and to take good notes on the statements he makes, my questions, and his answers.  (This goes for my women doctors, too!)  I ask them how to spell medical terms, too, so I can look them up at home and read more about them.  When I am foggy headed or in lots of pain, I always have someone with me who can take notes for me!  I have no patience with a doctor or technician who is not clear about what is going on.

Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 29 of 36 (674 Views)

As long as you have the guarantee that the privacy and security of the HIPAA laws will be followed and the consent of both the doctor and patient, I wouldn’t have any problems with it.

Conversationalist

Message 30 of 36 (638 Views)

My neuro surgeon here in Phoenix asked if I would alow him to record my visit with him. It is a video as well as sound & can be reviewed only by me or whoever I pass on the sign in information to.

It is a very good idea, I can look back at it later when I'm more relaxed at home. As we get older we tend to forget things & with this video recording & can go over the visit with my Dr. &I have found a couple of things I had forgotten were said as well as other questions to ask the next time I saw the Dr. It can also help the patient/family members to know what the Dr. really said or didn't say.

It is totally voluntary, free to the patient, protected by HIPPA law & only able to be seen by the patient - the Dr. does not have access. Talk to your Drs. & see if they canapply for this program or a similar one. This is the web address - www.themedicalmemory.com/ I hope this is helpful.