The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Conversationalist

Re: Should you record your conversations with your doctor?

Message 11 of 36 (485 Views)

I recorded, with permission, a conversation with a potential knee surgeoun.  He spent the whole time talking about my weight (after already losing 40 pounds).   My weight has been a struggle my whole life.  I left feeling terrible.  Since I am very sensitive about this issue, I did not know if I was just being overly sensitive, so I played it back the next day.    It was not me, he was awful.  I decided not to use this doctor.  My new knee is very strong and I am very active today.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 12 of 36 (1,154 Views)

angelab575254 wrote:

Recording conversations of any kind (professional or not) has to be LEGALLY approved by both parties. I've been a nurse for 25 years and know that you simply WILL NOT find a doctor who will let you record the conversation. A better option is to have a list of questions with spaces in between for the doc to write answers. This is GREAT if you have concerned family members who won't be available when you see the doctor. They can even add their own questions! BEST option?: Have a family member or friend go with you and take notes so you can carry on a conversatiion without worrying about writing everything down. Good docs are FINE with this. In this day and age have a family member with medical knowledge WITH you, or have their phone number handy. Ask the doc to call (on YOUR phone - it's OK if they don't give their personal cell phone # out to every patient and family member) and put it on speaker. You've got an extra set of ears this way.

This is what I do as fortunately my son is trained.  He often asks questions I would never have thought of.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Info Seeker

Message 13 of 36 (1,272 Views)

Recording conversations of any kind (professional or not) has to be LEGALLY approved by both parties. I've been a nurse for 25 years and know that you simply WILL NOT find a doctor who will let you record the conversation. A better option is to have a list of questions with spaces in between for the doc to write answers. This is GREAT if you have concerned family members who won't be available when you see the doctor. They can even add their own questions! BEST option?: Have a family member or friend go with you and take notes so you can carry on a conversatiion without worrying about writing everything down. Good docs are FINE with this. In this day and age have a family member with medical knowledge WITH you, or have their phone number handy. Ask the doc to call (on YOUR phone - it's OK if they don't give their personal cell phone # out to every patient and family member) and put it on speaker. You've got an extra set of ears this way.

Info Seeker

Message 14 of 36 (1,492 Views)

I agree that since the doctor records what is said during the visit you should be allowed to record as well.  One doctor I saw even had a "scribe" in the room with us. This is a video camera with a student in another room watching and recording as well as answering any questions that come up that the doctor doesn’t have immediate access to.  I know it is handy for the doc and I really liked the doctor as a person but this wasn’t for me.  I switched back to my former doctor who is more personable. 

Conversationalist

Message 15 of 36 (1,932 Views)

With the doctors I've had over the years, I've never felt the need to record them. I take a list of things I want to go over with him, he reads it and goes over it with me. I also take notes of things I want to remember. I get a print out of our visit when I check out. Special note, my doctor listens to what I have to say and my conserns.

Gold Conversationalist

Message 16 of 36 (2,040 Views)

I get a printout of my visit which I choose to get online and save paper.  However, there are times when I wish I could have recorded my visit with a ay doctor.  One time I visited a surgeon and he was rude, to put it mildly.  He told me that it doesn't matter what he does to me in surgery because "at my age" who cares what happens to me.  I refuse to allow this doctor to touch me - ever.  However, when my own doctor wanted me to see this guy again, I told my doctor exactly what the surgeon had said. My doctor confronted the surgeon, and this surgeon, who's not only nasty but a liar, told my doctor that we had "a personality clash".  Since then three other people have said the same thing about this surgeon so he's nasty to everyone.  If I'd recorded the visit, I'd have proof and patients would never again have to deal with the guy.  Yes, record visits!

Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 17 of 36 (2,040 Views)

I agree with David. He has the right reasons. I'm not trying to cause the Doctor trouble, but I would like the reference point. At least my Doctor issues a printout of the visit and he also issues an email.

Info Seeker

Message 18 of 36 (2,089 Views)

As a cancer patient, I'm often given a lot of info during an appointment and I think it would be great to have the conversation recorded so that I could go back over details during a less stressful time.

Info Seeker

Message 19 of 36 (2,270 Views)

He records our conversation.

Why shouldn't I be allowed to record for my records?

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 20 of 36 (2,386 Views)

I had surgery last year to remove a cancerous tumor and they couldn't get it all. When I met with the oncologist I asked if he minded recording and he had no problem at all with it.  I was very glad we recorded it as so much information I didn't fully hear at that somewhat traumatic moment. If it's a serious condition I highly recommend recording it on your cell or whatever. You just miss a lot in the moment.