ACA Open Enrollment Ends Dec. 15. Review Your Options Before Being Locked in for 2018. Read More

Social Butterfly

Re: Share your healthy holiday recipe

Message 1 of 7

This year neither my son nor I grew pumpkins in our gardens, so I bought a small "baking" pumpkin at the health food store.  I found this recipe to season and bake the pumpkin so that the insides taste like pie filling.  I can't remember where I found the recipe but here it is.

Spiced mini-pumpkin (serves 1 or 2 depending upon the size of the pumpkin and the size of your appetite)

1 mini baking pumpkin

1/2 teaspoon oil

1 teaspoon sugar

Sprinkle of ground cinnamon

Sprinkle of salt

Preheat the oven to 350F.  Fill a small casserole dish with 1/4 inch of water.  Carefully cut the top off the pumpkin so that you can set the top back on for baking. Scrape out the seeds and the pulp.  Pour the oil into the pumpkin.  Sprinkle with the sugar, cinnamon and salt.  Place the top back on the pumpkin and put it into the casserole dish of water. Bake for 30-40minutes until very tender.

Note:  seeds can be baked on the side and eaten.  Sprinkle the seeds with butter and salt and spread out on a baking sheet.  Bake while the  pumpkin is baking.  Seeds are ready when they're golden brown.  

Alternately, plant the raw seeds in your garden for your next pumpkin crop.  If you raise chickens, both the seeds and the pulp make a nice treat for them.                                                                                            

Report Inappropriate Content
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 7

I'm baking two pumpkin pies today, so here are the tweaks I make to the pumpkin pie recipe on the back of a Libby's Pumpkin Puree can to make it healthier.

First off, rather than use canned puree, I bake my own pumpkin and squash.  I use a mixture of organic kabocha or butternut squash and organic pumpkin. 2/3rd squash because they are firmer, have better color and are generally darker in color. So my pie ends up with more nutrition for having not used puree that's produced in high heat. (high heat kill nutrients)

I puree the squash, but chop up the pumpkin. We like a chunky pumpkin pie. 

Then I substitute one can of coconut milk and one can of fat free evaporated milk for the two cans of evaporated canned milk called for in the recipe.  Coconut milk has less than half the carbs of fat free evaporated milk but it is not low calorie.

Instead of store bought eggs, I use fresh eggs from the coop. Backyard eggs have half the fat and less cholesterol than do commercially produced eggs. But I use 3 eggs rather than 2 per pie, because we like a custardy pie. Backyard eggs contain more of these nutrients: vitamin A, vitamin E, beta carotene and omega-3s, so the gains here are mostly nutritional.

I substitute brown sugar for 2/3 of the sugar I use, but too, I use about a third of a cup less than what the recipes calls for. (the eggs and firmer squash help make up the texture difference) Now, all sugar is sugar, true, but brown sugar makes for a firmer custard and it also has just a smidge more nutrients than does granulated sugar. So I'm really just shaving calories here.

Spices. I use a titch more cinnamon, ginger and cloves than called for, but also add a little cardamom, fresh ground nutmeg, allspice and 1/8 teaspoon of organic orange flavor. We like a spicy pie with a hint of citrus. All of these spices have been implicated in studies about disease fighting, so that free radicals! And hey, ya can't go wrong with a super aromatic pumpkin pie, can you? Smiley Happy

How much healthier is this pie?  Eh, offhand I'd say it's a case of more nutritious than, say, low calorie or low carb, so the key will be to watch portion sizes.

Yeah, right: two people; two pies. We're doooooomed!  At least we agreed to leave off the whipped cream. 

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving

Message 3 of 7

AARPTeri wrote:

Every year I make a sweet potato casserole, I have replaced the sugar with splenda but don't tell my family and they haven't seemed to notice!

Do you have a healthy recipe you can share?

I have to be honest. I have no desire to change our traditional holiday recipes and make them "healthier".  Indulging at holidays is not going to kill me. 

However there are are many warnings about artificial sweeteners.  They make me ill. I can't use them.  For me they are anything but healthy. 

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith

Message 4 of 7

OK. So I picked up the pork chops yesterday and here's how I've decided to prepare them:

They are butterflied chops, so I'm going to stuff them with apple slices, chopped onion and raisins then bake them in a Dutch oven along with whole apples and unsweetened applesauce.

Since I'll have the oven on, I'm going to roast the root crops (parsnips, purple carrots, garnet yams);  steam the green beans and drizzle the cooked veggies with lemon juice before serving.

I've been working (feeding, refreshing) my sourdough starter, so should have extra tangy dough for those rolls. Yay! Smiley Happy

One reason we're skipping the traditional meal is the leftovers. By fixing these festive pork chops and holding the sides to a minimum we'll have fewer leftovers tempting us to overconsume. We call that a big plus. Smiley Happy

I'm going to cook sourdough ww pancakes for Thanksgiving breakfast, and those will be served with a homemade (read: low sugar) citrus/cranberry sauce. 

And, of course, we plan to go snowshoeing a couple times during the holiday weekend, so we'll be burning off the pie calories. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Highlighted
Jen
Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 7

I have a lot of healthy soups I make over the holidays. Low fat and super easy! 

Here's one of my favorites:

Spicy Black Bean Soup

1 Tbsp of Extra Virgin Olive Oil

1/2 Small yellow onion

1 celery stalk, diced

1/4 tsp ground cumin

1/4 tsp ground nutmeg

2 cups vegetable stock

1 15 oz. can of black beans (drain and rinse)

1/2 tbsp red wine

In a large pot over medium heat, saute the onion and celery in oil for three minutes or until soft. Add cumin and nutmeg and vegetable stock. Cover and bring to a boil. Add beans and wine. 

Also, there's a great new article that came out on how caregivers can eat healthy - which includes tips, a video and two recipes. You can view that HERE

AARPJen
Caregiving Concierge

Message 6 of 7

We are going non-traditional this year. DH has >just< gotten his A1C below prediabetic levels, and we are having Thanksgiving for two, so ...  Just decided to skip the carb rich traditional meal and instead  have pork chops baked in unsweetened apple sauce; steamed parsnips, red yams, purple carrots and green beans; green salad; sourdough dinner rolls and kabocha squash pie.

BTW, pork chops, may be an every week food item for some, but we haven't had them in probably 3 years, so for us this is a big treat. Smiley Happy

I did stash away some Irish Whiskey caramels to be consumed after either a trike ride or snowshoe excursion that weekend. We can't be good ALL the time. Smiley Happy

Community Manager

Share your healthy holiday recipe

Message 7 of 7

Every year I make a sweet potato casserole, I have replaced the sugar with splenda but don't tell my family and they haven't seemed to notice!

Do you have a healthy recipe you can share?

AARPTeri