AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Share your healthy holiday recipe

Message 1 of 4 (22 Views)

OK. So I picked up the pork chops yesterday and here's how I've decided to prepare them:

They are butterflied chops, so I'm going to stuff them with apple slices, chopped onion and raisins then bake them in a Dutch oven along with whole apples and unsweetened applesauce.

Since I'll have the oven on, I'm going to roast the root crops (parsnips, purple carrots, garnet yams);  steam the green beans and drizzle the cooked veggies with lemon juice before serving.

I've been working (feeding, refreshing) my sourdough starter, so should have extra tangy dough for those rolls. Yay! Smiley Happy

One reason we're skipping the traditional meal is the leftovers. By fixing these festive pork chops and holding the sides to a minimum we'll have fewer leftovers tempting us to overconsume. We call that a big plus. Smiley Happy

I'm going to cook sourdough ww pancakes for Thanksgiving breakfast, and those will be served with a homemade (read: low sugar) citrus/cranberry sauce. 

And, of course, we plan to go snowshoeing a couple times during the holiday weekend, so we'll be burning off the pie calories. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Jen
Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 4 (45 Views)

I have a lot of healthy soups I make over the holidays. Low fat and super easy! 

Here's one of my favorites:

Spicy Black Bean Soup

1 Tbsp of Extra Virgin Olive Oil

1/2 Small yellow onion

1 celery stalk, diced

1/4 tsp ground cumin

1/4 tsp ground nutmeg

2 cups vegetable stock

1 15 oz. can of black beans (drain and rinse)

1/2 tbsp red wine

In a large pot over medium heat, saute the onion and celery in oil for three minutes or until soft. Add cumin and nutmeg and vegetable stock. Cover and bring to a boil. Add beans and wine. 

Also, there's a great new article that came out on how caregivers can eat healthy - which includes tips, a video and two recipes. You can view that HERE

AARPJen
Caregiving Concierge
Treasured Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 3 of 4 (78 Views)

We are going non-traditional this year. DH has >just< gotten his A1C below prediabetic levels, and we are having Thanksgiving for two, so ...  Just decided to skip the carb rich traditional meal and instead  have pork chops baked in unsweetened apple sauce; steamed parsnips, red yams, purple carrots and green beans; green salad; sourdough dinner rolls and kabocha squash pie.

BTW, pork chops, may be an every week food item for some, but we haven't had them in probably 3 years, so for us this is a big treat. Smiley Happy

I did stash away some Irish Whiskey caramels to be consumed after either a trike ride or snowshoe excursion that weekend. We can't be good ALL the time. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Highlighted
Community Manager

Share your healthy holiday recipe

Message 4 of 4 (92 Views)

Every year I make a sweet potato casserole, I have replaced the sugar with splenda but don't tell my family and they haven't seemed to notice!

Do you have a healthy recipe you can share?

AARPTeri