The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Senior Fitness Inspiration from a Weightlifting Grandma

[ Edited ]
Message 1 of 2 (297 Views)

weightlifting grandma.jpg

DH and I have been working with dumbells and other resistance apparatus for about 6 months. We both have tiny six packs. What's even better is that I have greatly reduced my bat wings. While they are not yet 100% gone, I do believe the day when I will be bat wing free is upon us! Yahoooo!

We do this strength training together 3 or 4 times a week. And now we see the sculpting going on and feel the added strength and energy and even notice range of motion improvement, we are hooked.

Just so ya know: we also cycle 100 or more miles a week, and walk 4.85 miles at a fast clip 3-4 times a week and we each get in 2-3 mini trampoline sessions each week. So, we're maybe a bit over the top, but then, we're competitve cyclists in the final stretch of our racing season, too. You probably won't need to work out like this to see amazing results.

But you will need to move it if you want to lose it. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Treasured Social Butterfly

Senior Fitness Inspiration from a Weightlifting Grandma

Message 2 of 2 (318 Views)

Two years ago, Shirley Webb of East Alton, Illinois, couldn’t get up off the floor without help. Earlier this year, the 78-year old deadlifted a 225-pound barbell with ease. The record-setting senior weightlifter sets a great example of how everyday seniors can improve their mobility, feel better, and have fun with exercise. Here’s how Webb got started and kept going with free-weight training, and what we can learn from her.

Find a workout buddy

Webb said she decided to join her gym after going along to keep her 20-year old granddaughter company. Fitness experts say having a workout buddy and a workout group is a great way to stay motivated, pursue your goals, and have more fun while you exercise.

Start slow and pace yourself

Webb has been quick to remind people that she didn’t start out in “beast mode” but with light weights and a program to raise her overall fitness level. To get where she is now, she simply lifted slightly heavier weights as Wright introduced them. A slow and methodical approach can lead to big improvements over time without the risk of injury from trying to do too much, too soon.

Read the entire piece: https://www.senioradvisor.com/blog/2016/11/senior-fitness-inspiration-from-a-weightlifting-grandma/

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving