How Does Your Brain Score? Take the Staying Sharp Brain Health Assessment

Topics: 0
Kudos: 0

Re: Quitting smoking

Message 1 of 158 (973 Views)

If I could go back in time and change one thing, it would be that day in high school when I smoke my first cigerette in the girl's room. I quit so many times since then and all for the right reasons. Sometimes I went as much as six years before I found another wrong reason to start smoking again. The truth is; I love it.

I started smoking ecigerettes (aka vapor cigeretttes) I tried alot of the disposables until I found one I really like alot anf then purchased the replaceable cartridge kit.  I have stepped down from 24 mgs nicotine to 0. It's been about six months since I smoked a "real" cigerette. These ecigs seem to really fill the gap where patches, chantrix & gum didn't.

I know someone out there will have a litany of all things bad about ecigs, but for now they are better than "real" cigs.  It's vapor, not smoke with no ashes, no tar, no litter, no smell and a heck of a lot cheaper!

Info Seeker

Message 2 of 158 (973 Views)

think about not being able too breath when the cigs fill your lungs up with mucus - simulate it by

temporariliy cutting off your own air supply - see how it feels compared to being able to breath easy

is that short buzz you get from a cig realy worth it ------------------ not at all

it;s your life your lungs - live longer or live with bad breathing.

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 158 (981 Views)

For me, the way I was able to finally quit smoking was each time I took a cigarette from the pack I put it in front of me for a few minutes and asked, Just what are you? The only answer I got back was, I am dead dried leaves, crumpled and rolled up in tissue paper, with a wad of cotton stuffed on the end. With the understanding of what exactly a cigarette is, I then asked myself, what do you cost me? Well it's a LOT more today then when I quit, but adding up how many cigarettes I smoked per day, per week, per month, I realized just how much money I was spending on dry dead leaves rolled up in tissue paper with a was of cotton on the end. Then my final question was, What are you doing to me? And I knew what it was doing to me....causing health issues, causing my time on this earth to be less and less. In the end I was dumbfounded to find out how easily I could be controlled and manipulated by dried dead leaves rolled up in tissue paper with a cotton wad on the end. It only took one pack for me to realize I was better than that, stronger than that, and frankly, how STUPID it made me feel to think THAT had been in control of me for so long! And I never went back!

marybollinger120 wrote:
I am wondering if there are others who have faced or are facing my current situation. In 1982 I quit smoking, I was 21 then. Now I am smoking again as of Arpril 2010. I found myself smoking and still do as though I never quit. I don't like it but can't seem to get myself with the previous mindset I had when I wasn't smoking. Anyone have any suggestions for me. Thanks

Conversationalist

Message 4 of 158 (997 Views)

I habitually associated smoking with phone calls and alcohol consumption. Every time I dialed a phone I lit a cigarette.  Everyday, after work, I stopped at a bar and smoked while drinking.  I had to break those ties some how.  I joined AA to help with the stopping drinking, attending a daily AA meeting right after work.  The phone habit was harder because a phone was a part of my daily work routine.  I started walking to see the people I called at work, and limited my long distance calls to a set block of tie everyday, followed by a walk around the plant, which helped get my mind off of lighting up.  After a year of not smoking or drinnking, things seemed to get easier.  I started drinking again, but not everyday at a bar.  I never smoked again.

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 158 (1,011 Views)
Some states give you free nicotine patches to help you quit-Indiana doesnt! They are expensive to buy and makes me wonder what the state did with all that money that tobacco companies had to give them. I guess that money just disappeared!
Info Seeker

Message 6 of 158 (1,010 Views)
I smoked for 42 years.  What I did was start by eliminating one cigarette a day.  There were several that I smoked just because "that's what I do at this time everyday".  I eliminated one and after some time I elimiinated another.  I smoked nearly a pack a day for most of these years, sometimes more.  After many months I was down to 2 or 3 cigarettes a day. It was harder for me at work and also those times when the phone rings or after a meal but I got satisfied with the 2 or 3 and then I got a cold.  And I never liked the smoke when I was sick, although I still would.  But this time I didn't smoke for 2 days and it was not really bothereing me physically.  And I just thought if I can go two days, I'll just quit.  And I did.  It's been 4 years now and I could really feel the changes.  I hope this can help someone else.
Info Seeker

Message 7 of 158 (1,010 Views)
In Response to Quitting smoking:
I am wondering if there are others who have faced or are facing my current situation. In 1982 I quit smoking, I was 21 then. Now I am smoking again as of Arpril 2010. I found myself smoking and still do as though I never quit. I don't like it but can't seem to get myself with the previous mindset I had when I wasn't smoking. Anyone have any suggestions for me. Thanks
Posted by marybollinger120

Here is how I am quitting, (after 35 years of smoking). I discovered "Vaping", it is similar to an electronic cigarette except that this new product gives youa variety of flavors"Juices" that you can use. IT also offers you different levels of nicotine, to help you slowly "wing yourself" off of nicotine all together.Since I started "Vaping" a week ago , 02-22, I had about a 1/2 pack of smokes left @10, I still have @2 left, and I was a pack a day smoker. Yeah, I am still smoking, but down from 1 pack to 1 a day, I am well on my way to quitting completely. The nice thing about "Vaping", I can do it anywhere, it's flavored water vapors. th eingredents are safe, the smell is very nice, and from the smile on my wife's face, she seems to enjoy it also. To find out more about "Vaping", go to (poor vapers) on facebook, or check outwww.shopvaporcraft.com.
Info Seeker

Message 8 of 158 (1,010 Views)
Well, Here was my reality call:

6 months ago, I visited my doctor because my lower leg and foot had fallen asleep for five days with incredible pain. The surgeon I was immediately referred to, diagnosed me with aneurysyms behind both knees. HERE IS THE KICKER: When I asked how did this happen, he said many reasons can cause clots in your veins: HOWEVER 80% OF MY SURGERIES are on Smokers.

After four operations, vein transplants and angio's, I am starting to recover with minimal pain. The pain during this 6 months was only bearable with Morphine, Oxycodeine, or Gabapentin. Honestly, it was at times tears and pain for hours at a time. Pain is a great reason and deterrent to stop smoking.

I quit before the first surgery and am now past 6 months. PLEASE, DON't WAIT UNTIL THIS HAPPENS TO YOU.

Best wishes to all, Will C.

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 158 (813 Views)
In Response to Quitting smoking:
Posted by marybollinger120

Sure. QUIT! BEFORE THET QUIT YOU! You were smart once.....Wise back up! Don't continue being stupid. How long do you want to live? Short of breath? like to get your breathing back? QUIT! Want to smell good again? QUIT! Have a Family you love? What would it do to them if you died early because you didn't QUIT smoking? Give it up enjoy your life....don't cut it short!!! Good luck.................
Info Seeker

Message 10 of 158 (813 Views)
I smoked for forty years and thought that I would never quit but I did. For me I changed my daily routine in other words I would wake up in the morning take a shower eat breakfast then have a smoke. What I do now is get up take a shower and wait about an hour before I have breakfast. That way It seems that I don't have that urge to smoke. Try this with every thing you do. Just change the way and when you do things and the smoking will stop.