Caring for loved ones?

Find the resources you need

Help Guidelines My Settings

Community
Health

Info Seeker
marybollinger120

Quitting smoking

I am wondering if there are others who have faced or are facing my current situation. In 1982 I quit smoking, I was 21 then. Now I am smoking again as of Arpril 2010. I found myself smoking and still do as though I never quit. I don't like it but can't seem to get myself with the previous mindset I had when I wasn't smoking. Anyone have any suggestions for me. Thanks
Please use plain text.
Anonymous(anon)

Re: Quitting smoking

In Response to Quitting smoking:
I am wondering if there are others who have faced or are facing my current situation. In 1982 I quit smoking, I was 21 then. Now I am smoking again as of Arpril 2010. I found myself smoking and still do as though I never quit. I don't like it but can't seem to get myself with the previous mindset I had when I wasn't smoking. Anyone have any suggestions for me. Thanks
Posted by maryhicks010

i have tried to quit many times, always failed..i quit again on jan 3, 2012. i went cold turkey this time. in the past i have always used something from patches to chantix..to me after a few days it was easier cold turkey... everytime i quit and failed it seemed harder the next time..so i decided this time to not drag it out, i just put them down and made my mind up i would not smoke again, it was not easy but got easier everyday..its a struggle everyday..i have temptations, but i dont give in..i have to quit, my breathing had changed lately. i noticed i got out of breath much easier..you can do it !
Please use plain text.
Silver Conversationalist
RT59

I know that this is an old thread. Just thought I would post my own experience on quitting smoking.

I smoked 2 packs a day for 30 years (from ages 15 to 45). I tried quitting over and over. To finally stop once and for all, I chewed huge amounts of nictotine gum all day and even chewed it as I was going to sleep. Furthermore, even after my last cigarette I kept on chewing nicotine gum daily for the next 5 years. I didn't want to stop the nictotine gum until cigarettes were so far back in my past that I couldn't even imagine picking up a cigarette again. It's now been 12 years since my last cigarette (and seven years since my last piece of nicotine gum).

I tried the patch for a while. But I thought it was a hassle to keep playing with those things, and so the patch always ended in failure for me. 

The gum was easier. No matter how bad I was craving a smoke, I could take care of it by popping more gum into my mouth. Sometimes I was chewing five or six pieces of gum at a time. Whatever works. 

Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
evaann2013

Smoking is injurious to health,nicotine include this causes cancer.Keep away from smoking.Lead a healthy life style for a long life..

Posted by marybollinger120
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
km1226

In Response to Re: Quitting smoking:
    One idea I really like is to list the reasons to quit, and carry them with you all day on a 3X5 card.     After all , the addiction is both physical and mental, and it is our sheer determination that will get us to succeed. Cancer, Difficulty exercising, going up stairs Emphysema, Smelly, on clothes, and home, and car, Expense!   if you buy by the pack it costs over $6,000. per year! Can you think of any more???
Posted by BettyCM

Reputation with relatives/friends. Believe me, people look at you differently when you smoke.
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
sdoner

I quit smoking after my Mother passed away from  lung cancer.I just stopped 1 day but I still had cravings.my best friend was a smoker so when I was with her I would light her cigaret for her.This went on for about a month.Then 1 day when I went to light her cigaret it tasted terrible! That was when I knew I had kicked this awful habit. It has been over 15 yrs. since I last touched one.
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
williamestes

Chantix was my ticket to quitting, I did the entire 12 week program and also enrolled in the daily you can do it support email and took total advantage of al the Chantix on line support. I had smoked for roughly 40 years, quit 7 years ago now and have no desire to smoke a cigarette, I love the smell of others smokiong around me but the desire to join in is no longer there. 
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
billduval

In Response to Quitting smoking:

Buy a new Car.   The desire to keep that new car smell is a great, but a little expensive motivator.  Also stay away from stressfull situations as much as possible.  You'll probably gain weight but get an inexpensive gymplan (Costco has them for 24 Hr Fit)  This helps keep the weight down and you can't smoke when your exercising.  I speak with expeience.  Quit 3 times after both 1 and 2 had a stress situation that put me over the edge a major fire on a US Navy ship and a Helo Crash. Good Luck   
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
jacqueline5577

I had that same problem when I was younger. I would smoke for awhile, then quit for awhile. then start back.  What happened with me is that I just got fed up with it. I was smoking one day and I just told myself at that time this is my last cigarette and it was. That was in August 2007 and I haven't picked up another cigarette since. The cravings for it still hit me but I got through it by thinking about the people in my life that love me and didn't like me smoking and that keeps me focused on remaining smoke-free.
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
rgarnett84720

I have never smoked, because I could not stand the tast, but somking is two addictions.  The first is a chemical addication and the other is a habit or social addiction.  I would suggest hypnosis, either from a therapist or from a CD from companies like InnerTalk.com.  There other companies that have CD and I get nothing from InnerTalk.com, but I respect their science.

Please use plain text.