Start Here or Call 844-222-0104 to Urge Your Senator to Say No to the Graham-Cassidy Health Care Bill

Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Positive Thinking: Stop Negative Self Talk To Reduce Stress

Message 1 of 6 (147 Views)

ReTiReD51 wrote:

The glass is always half-full. Just look around I could be living in one of the states that was recently devastated by hurricanes or forest fires and having to deal with that personally. Sometimes it’s difficult to look on the bright side of life but someone somewhere has it worse than me.

@ReTiReD51 Right. It can always be worse.

This might sound oxy**bleep**ic, but one habit I have that I think helps me return to positive thinking in even the worst circumstance is that I plan for the worst. I imagine the worst, make sure I am prepared to deal with the worst, and then relax because the worst almost never happens.

An aside: Hubby long ago bought me the Worst Case Scenario game, though he refuses to play with me because I always win. Smiley Happy LOL.

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 6 (157 Views)

The glass is always half-full. Just look around I could be living in one of the states that was recently devastated by hurricanes or forest fires and having to deal with that personally. Sometimes it’s difficult to look on the bright side of life but someone somewhere has it worse than me.

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 6 (277 Views)

God doesn't make junk....so therefore I am not!!!!

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 6 (297 Views)

"...Have you experienced any of the listed benefits from donning a positive outlook?...".

I've never had a positive outlook. So, no........

“The world is a book. Those who do not travel read only one page.”

Message 5 of 6 (358 Views)

I know my positive nature helps keep me moving, which helps keep me healthy. What about you? Have you experienced any of the listed benefits from donning a positive outlook?

stop the waves.jpg

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving

Positive Thinking: Stop Negative Self Talk To Reduce Stress

Message 6 of 6 (361 Views)

Positive thinking helps with stress management and can even improve your health. Practice overcoming negative self-talk with examples provided.

positive thinking.jpg

Understanding positive thinking and self-talk

Positive thinking doesn't mean that you keep your head in the sand and ignore life's less pleasant situations. Positive thinking just means that you approach unpleasantness in a more positive and productive way. You think the best is going to happen, not the worst.

Positive thinking often starts with self-talk. Self-talk is the endless stream of unspoken thoughts that run through your head. These automatic thoughts can be positive or negative. Some of your self-talk comes from logic and reason. Other self-talk may arise from misconceptions that you create because of lack of information.

If the thoughts that run through your head are mostly negative, your outlook on life is more likely pessimistic. If your thoughts are mostly positive, you're likely an optimist — someone who practices positive thinking.

The health benefits of positive thinking

Researchers continue to explore the effects of positive thinking and optimism on health. Health benefits that positive thinking may provide include:

• Increased life span
  • Lower rates of depression
  • Lower levels of distress
  • Greater resistance to the common cold
  • Better psychological and physical well-being
  • Better cardiovascular health and reduced risk of death from cardiovascular disease
  • Better coping skills during hardships and times of stress

Read on at the Mayo Clinic website: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/stress-management/in-depth/positive-thinking/art-2004395...

what we think we are.jpg