Senate Voting on Bad Health Care Bill Tomorrow! Watch Facebook Live at 9:30 a.m. ET for the Latest

Respected Social Butterfly

Re: Personal DNA testing

Message 1 of 4 (249 Views)

wilful wrote:

Oh thanks Ep - I went to the site you mentioned, and yeah - the subject has been well covered.  Looks like I need to look around some before starting a new topic.  Man Embarassed

Gracious, no worries. I just wanted to let you see what others had to say about it.

We're quite pleased with the 23andme offerings. I actually found a 3rd cousin on my maternal side who has helped me work through the family tree obstacles. Plus there's all sorts of genetics insights to be 'earned' by answering innoculous questions about yourself.

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Regular Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 4 (263 Views)

Oh thanks Ep - I went to the site you mentioned, and yeah - the subject has been well covered.  Looks like I need to look around some before starting a new topic.  Man Embarassed

Respected Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 3 of 4 (295 Views)

@wilful I think there have been a few discussions about DNA testing pros and cons. 

Here's the most recent discussion (I think at any rate): http://community.aarp.org/t5/Random-Thoughts-and/DNA-testing/m-p/1810636/highlight/true#M2391

DH, me, my sister and half brother all took the test last year. 

Addendum: Sorry, I answered in a hurry last night as friends were pulling me off to a celebration... however wanted to give you the above thread so you could read other people's thoughts on the matter.

OK. So. 

I was surprised that the test confirmed family lore about ethnicity. I was interested to note that the full sibling and I inherited slightly different DNA. 

Interesting to us was that DH and my ethnic derivations are nearly identical and our haplo groups are very close, however we share not one segment of identical DNA. Not one. But of course that does make sense as his family came to American shores quite a few centuries ago while I'm but a 4th generation American Scot. (3rd on the maternal side)

As for the half brother, what we found interesting there is that 23andme suggested our traits, not really incorrectly, but with some imprecision. The language is, as you know, that you have less than 50% chance of having this color eyes, or of being left handed, or of having unattached ear lobes.

That doesn't mean you don't have those traits, it just means that there's greater chance you don't. However, as we compared we found that mostly we were in the minority when it came to traits. For instance, they suggested I could not have green eyes. Well, I do (actually hazel, but largely green). They suggested he had green eyes. His are blue. They suggested I'd have no freckles. Wrong. They suggested he'd have lots of freckles. Also wrong. And so forth.

Again, it is important to note that what they are saying is that going from the data they have collected of people with similar ethnic backgrounds, you probably have detached ear lobes. Not that you obviously, clearly, totally cannot have attached ear lobes, but that if you do, that puts you in the minority of the people we've sampled thus far.

So, it's an emerging science.

Right, one more thing: DH's test disproved a couple of 'ethnic facts' his family had passed down. 

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Regular Social Butterfly

Personal DNA testing

Message 4 of 4 (306 Views)

Last Christmas - one of our kids gave my bride a gift of a DNA test.  It is thru 23and me.com.  This is a legit outfit.  Not a scam.  We were pretty confident as to what the results would indicate on her maternal side - but not so at all on the paternal.  She does have a couple of physical characteristics that we deemed unlikely to have derived from her mom, so when the results came in, our suspicions were confirmed.  The findings are quite comprehensive and of course, go waaay back in time.  The kit came in the mail.  We registered and complied with all instructions and sent it back to the lab. They advised that it would take from 6 to 8 weeks for the results.    

My bride was so pleased that she ordered a kit for me.  We already know 400 years on my paternal side and 200 years on the maternal - so in about 2 months - we will know waaay beyond that time frame.

Has anyone else done this?  Were you surprised?