Are You Ready for the Next Natural Disaster? AARP Live Can Help You Get Prepared Tonight at 10 p.m. Watch here

Info Seeker

Re: Mosquito Magnet?

Message 1 of 12 (250 Views)

Yes.

Off

SkinSoSoft (Avon )

Info Seeker

Message 2 of 12 (616 Views)

Hi, I was always the person who mosquitos gravitated to.  Never knew why.  Years later, I saw a segment on the local news reporting from a study with mosquitos finding that these pesky creatures were drawn to people with O+ blood.  You guessed it, I was preselected without even knowing why! LOL  These days I'm not able to handle hot, humid weather so I'm one to be inside with the a/c on, so mosquito bites aren't much of a problem these days.  I am also sensitive and have to check with my doctor before I use any herbal applications, so I stay away from home remedies.  Good luck everyone, fall is coming soon if it turns cooler where you are!

Treasured Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 3 of 12 (1,819 Views)

mpope56 wrote:

Alcohol drys out the skin!

@mpope56  Hi, I'm assuming this comment is directed at me, for unless I missed it I'm the only one who mentioned alcohol. So, here goes ... Smiley Happy

You can find herbalists' bug repellent recipes on the web calling for witch hazel and vinegar. I like the way the alcohol pulls oil from the plants. Also it is far more stable than are vinegar concoctions, which tend to lose potency within weeks. I don't know about you, but I don't really want to be making fresh batches of bug repellent every month. Besides, the plant material (yes, some recipes call for essential oils, but I prefer to grow my own herbs) is most potent when in bloom, so I make a big batch when the plants are ready.

As for witch hazel, eh, I say try it. I never have. The repellent I make has never dried out DH or my skin. Smiley Happy

EDIT: Came back to say that I do not consider it wise to dole out herbal recipes to strangers. I have not given the full process or recipe; that's for interested parties to discover. Disclaimer complete. Smiley Happy

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Info Seeker

Message 4 of 12 (1,826 Views)

Alcohol drys out the skin!

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 12 (1,827 Views)

Have you tried skin so soft by avon??

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 12 (1,891 Views)

Yes, definitely a mosquito magnet.  Huge welts that itch for hours as a result.  I've tried everything - all herbal compounds available commercially as well as the poisons.  Unfortunately only the poisons have worked.  Consequently, I cover up in white, collared, long sleeve shirts and long pants, wear gloves and a large hat (In Texas!!!) when I can't stand another bite when I garden (my passion).  Can't stand the smell of deet containing sprays - hate having to put something like that on my skin or clothes.  If anyone has found something new because traditional herbal concoctions such as those containing lemon grass, lavender, lemon balm, clove and thyme oil, haven't worked for me. Please share!

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 12 (2,112 Views)

I used to be a magnet.  During a visit to the Virgin Islands I was covered while my spouse was relatively bite free.  Now he is the one under attack.  

vita umbratilis
Info Seeker

Message 8 of 12 (2,222 Views)

Eucalyptus and lemongrass oil mixed with witch hazel in a spray bottle and  then sprayed on the skin or eucalyptus oil mixed in a carrier oil and then rubbed on the skin works for me. They don't like lavender oil, either. Try to not wear dark clothing. Mosquitoes are attracted to dark colors and the CO2 you exhale.

Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 12 (2,284 Views)

Anything with DEET that has at least a 25% concentration of it.  

“The world is a book. Those who do not travel read only one page.”
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 12 (2,292 Views)

Yes, in any group, I seem to be the mosquito magnet. I use something called "Mosquito Guard", which has no DEET.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!