AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Lucy West plans 75 marathons before turning 70

Message 1 of 5

retiredtraveler wrote:

"...What inspires you to work out? What inspires you to set and meet personal goals?...".

Main thing for DW and I is to be able to continue to do serious day hiking, which we've been doing for 40 years. We do trips every year to national parks, and hike 8-12 miles a day, every day for weeks. As you know, a lot of these hikes are usually 1000-3000+ foot elevation gains.

I find everything about this inspiring! Fitness is its own reward. I wish you two decades of wonderful outdoor adventures.

The rest of it is simply to feel good, feel fit, and we know it may help with mental accuity and it certainly helps with keeping our immune systems tuned up. We do a lot of outdoor activities and we want to continue them as long as possible.

Agreed on all counts.

And if it makes any difference to anyone, neither DW nor myself were ever athletes. We're both nerds who never participated in sports (I hate all sports --- don't read or watch anything). Wanting to be, and stay, fit, has nothing to do with having athletic abilities.

Exactly! We don't watch sports either; we'd rather be outside. I have occasionally gotten carried away watching the the Tour de France and Olympics.  The last two times, though, I've checked in on the Olympics via Twitter.

We have both been athletic by nature, but like you say: so what? Every person makes physical gains in the same manner: one effort at a time.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 5

"...What inspires you to work out? What inspires you to set and meet personal goals?...".

Main thing for DW and I is to be able to continue to do serious day hiking, which we've been doing for 40 years. We do trips every year to national parks, and hike 8-12 miles a day, every day for weeks. As you know, a lot of these hikes are usually 1000-3000+ foot elevation gains.

The rest of it is simply to feel good, feel fit, and we know it may help with mental accuity and it certainly helps with keeping our immune systems tuned up. We do a lot of outdoor activities and we want to continue them as long as possible.  

And if it makes any difference to anyone, neither DW nor myself were ever athletes. We're both nerds who never participated in sports (I hate all sports --- don't read or watch anything). Wanting to be, and stay, fit, has nothing to do with having athletic abilities.

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.

Message 3 of 5

I don't know Lucy. She literally runs in a different circle; however her tenacity is inspiring.

Most the time, athletes involved in individual sports (cyclng, running) work out alone. This takes discipline, sure, but it also means sacrific: nothing gets in the way of training when you are competing at this level. Most of us spend hours and hours and hours each week working out ... that's hours and hours and hours alone, typically. So discovering the plethora of seniors who have turned themselves into elite athletes is, to me, inspiring.

What about you? What inspires you to work out? What inspires you to set and meet personal goals?

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving

Message 4 of 5

"Now my new goal is to run at least 75 before I turn 70," she said. "My husband thinks I can do 100, but he doesn't have to run them."

Another inspiring senior athlete.

Highlighted

Lucy West plans 75 marathons before turning 70

Message 5 of 5

Few things keep West away from the trails she runs five to six days a week.

Broomfield, Colorado runner Lucy West has turned Lake Link Trail, and other paths that intertwine in Broomfield, Louisville and Lafayette, into an outdoor health club.

Last year, West reached her goal of running 50 marathons before she turned 60 in February, which meant running four in 2015. She tackled the Boston Marathon in April, Colfax in May, Revel the Rockies in July and Loveland Marathon in September.

In 2016, she ran another four.

"Now my new goal is to run at least 75 before I turn 70," she said. "My husband thinks I can do 100, but he doesn't have to run them."

Read the entire story here: http://www.broomfieldenterprise.com/broomfield-news/ci_30694545/runner-is-fixture-broomfield-trails