Congress Agrees on a Tax Bill. What Does Proposed Tax Bill Mean for Older Americans? Learn More.

Info Seeker

Re: Ketogenic Diet

Message 1 of 22

My wife started on the Ketogenic Diet almost a year and a half ago and has lost about 55 lbs. Her fibromyalgia symptoms have all but disappeared. 

She tried a "standard" diet a few years ago but couldn't stick to it because she was always hungry.  Eating Ketogenic, she never feels deprived. 

I saw her success and started in February of this year.  I have lost about 15 lbs and am close to my ideal weight.

But for me, the more important benefit is that I no longer have to take my diabetes medication! 

Because I don't take that medication any more, my kidney function has improved dramatically,which is a bonus I wasn't expecting. 

We both believe that eating Ketogenic is more of a lifestyle than a diet. 

I still have a sweet tooth so I make cinnamon almonds and my wife bakes Ketogenic muffins for me. 

We are sold on the benefits of eating this way and will continue to do so for the rest of our lives. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 22

nyadrn wrote:

@ASTRAEA@margeem

Sounds like you are doing well with what you are doing so that kind of says it all! As to organized events, with all of the various food allergies and special diets it would be smart for all of them that are able, to get an advance list of requirements.  That is  a good idea!

After my not-so-terrific experience, I strongly suggested that since they had assigned tables at this event (so we got to meet new people), it would have been so much easier for the hotel, if they had grouped all of the "special requirements" people seated together at one or a few tables .. rather than scattered all over a ballroom seating 700+! And they should have identified us on our ID badges, as confirmation that we had special diet requirements.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!

Message 3 of 22

@ASTRAEA@margeem

it's funny how things have changed,  it used to be kind of embarrassing when you had to say that you didn't eat certain things.  People would look at you strangely and and ask all kinds of dumb embarrassing questions but today that is so common that people are right up front about what they do and don't eat.  It is great!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith

Message 4 of 22

@margeem - The doctor gave me a list of foods & their carb loads; I was shocked at how high some things were, that I really enjoyed: sweet potato, banana, mango, pineapple & dates especially! Now I just eat them a lot less frequently.

Message 5 of 22

ASTRAEA wrote:

@nyadrn, @margeem - I decided to continue with the Whole30 eating plan, rather than go to the more restrictive ketogenic diet .. and have lost about 20 lbs since I was contemplating ketogenic, so it's obvious I didn't need to give up fruit to lose more weight.

I do find it a real PITA eating out, when you don't want any starchy foods, no "mystery sauces", minimal dairy & no added sugars! Although I was one of many convention attendees with "special diet requirements", who let the organizers know ahead of time, our first meal together was a battle .. just to get them to leave the sauce off the grilled chicken, potatoes off the plate, and get a simple plate of fresh fruit/berries for dessert!

@ASTRAEA@margeem

Sounds like you are doing well with what you are doing so that kind of says it all! As to organized events, with all of the various food allergies and special diets it would be smart for all of them that are able, to get an advance list of requirements.  That is  a good idea!

Message 6 of 22

margeem wrote:

..  I know some people like a lot of variety in their meals, but I'm satisfied to eat a limited range of foods that I really like.

From what I've read, eating too limited range of food repetitively can result in food sensitivities; my doctor strongly suggested I vary my meals more.

Message 7 of 22

margeem wrote:

I do agree with you.  I feel good with this way of eating.  And you're right, too, about eating out.  One can always order steak and salad, or a burger without the bun.  Even though I'm retired, I do the multi-meal preparation, too.  I'll make a crockpot of chili and freeze portions, or a low-carb casserole and do the same.  In the winter, I love my homemade vegetable beef soup and eat it almost every day for lunch.  I like cooked veggies better than raw, although I do try to eat a salad most every day in the summer.  So--it's not really that hard.  I know some people like a lot of variety in their meals, but I'm satisfied to eat a limited range of foods that I really like.

@margeem

They all sound good !!    and yes you can always order "without".. you should see us at lunch..  we all have something we want to leave off of our orders;  no bun, no seeds, no mayo or dressings on the side, no onions  etc etc..  poor waiters : ) but it is getting to be pretty common!

Conversationalist

Message 8 of 22

I do think that each person has to find his/her ideal way of eating.  We are all different, and our bodies behave differently.  I truly think that I am carb intolerant and have been my whole life, but didn't know it.  I was very heavy at one point, and now I am healthy.  My bloodwork was perfect at my last checkup.  I do eat fruit, mostly berries, although I did overindulge in watermelon this summer.  I gained 3 pounds on the scale over the summer, but now that I've quit the watermelon (thank goodness, it's going out of season), the pounds came off easily.  Health is what we're all striving for and I think the best thing each of us can do is read and experiment to find what brings us health.

Message 9 of 22

@nyadrn, @margeem - I decided to continue with the Whole30 eating plan, rather than go to the more restrictive ketogenic diet .. and have lost about 20 lbs since I was contemplating ketogenic, so it's obvious I didn't need to give up fruit to lose more weight.

I do find it a real PITA eating out, when you don't want any starchy foods, no "mystery sauces", minimal dairy & no added sugars! Although I was one of many convention attendees with "special diet requirements", who let the organizers know ahead of time, our first meal together was a battle .. just to get them to leave the sauce off the grilled chicken, potatoes off the plate, and get a simple plate of fresh fruit/berries for dessert!

Conversationalist

Message 10 of 22

I do agree with you.  I feel good with this way of eating.  And you're right, too, about eating out.  One can always order steak and salad, or a burger without the bun.  Even though I'm retired, I do the multi-meal preparation, too.  I'll make a crockpot of chili and freeze portions, or a low-carb casserole and do the same.  In the winter, I love my homemade vegetable beef soup and eat it almost every day for lunch.  I like cooked veggies better than raw, although I do try to eat a salad most every day in the summer.  So--it's not really that hard.  I know some people like a lot of variety in their meals, but I'm satisfied to eat a limited range of foods that I really like.