AARP’s New Video Explains the Perils of the Health Care Bill in Storybook Fashion. Watch Here

Respected Social Butterfly

Re: Keeping Fit: A Positive Approach to the Aging Process

Message 21 of 29 (2,382 Views)

ASTRAEA wrote:

@Epster - Mine folds too, but it's one PITA to attach the balance bar to the base, and it's heavier than I'd want to haul around anyway.

@ASTRAEA We didn't get the balance bar because I figured I'd actually end up tripping on it. (I'm such a klutz, ugh.) Ours is a PITA to fold and unfold. Smiley Sad

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 22 of 29 (3,605 Views)

@Epster - Mine folds too, but it's one PITA to attach the balance bar to the base, and it's heavier than I'd want to haul around anyway.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!

Message 23 of 29 (3,647 Views)

ASTRAEA wrote:

Mine came with 2 DVDs, but I haven't even gotten thru the first one, listing all the recommended exercises.

@ASTRAEA

Sounds like a good system.

We chose a folding model because we intended to travel with ours. The plan is to have it in the (future) RV, but for now (besides daily workouts) we find the mini trampoline quite useful for warming up prior to races at the Senior Games. I find it to be one of the most useful pieces of exercise equipment we have.

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving

Message 24 of 29 (3,759 Views)

@Epster - Mine came with 2 DVDs, but I haven't even gotten thru the first one, listing all the recommended exercises.

@LaDolceVita - Thanks; I just changed it again the other day .. but the avatars are so small & kind of squished/elongated! Smiley Happy

Message 25 of 29 (5,807 Views)

ASTRAEA wrote:

I'm getting used to using a rebounder; just got it last week.

@ASTRAEA Woo hoo you! The mini trampoline takes a bit to get used to, and rightly so, because a person could end up injured if not familiar and careful, but I predict you'll soon be a master.

All- Rebounders are great for beginners as well as those accustomed to harder workouts. Go as hard or as slow as your goals/fitness level dictate.

Message 26 of 29 (5,812 Views)

Love your new picture!

vita umbratilis

Message 27 of 29 (5,971 Views)

I'm getting used to using a rebounder; just got it last week.

[ Edited ]
Message 28 of 29 (5,973 Views)

Here's how DH and I adapted our simple home gym (really a corner in a workroom) last year with intent to up our core strength: we gave away our treadmill and stationary bike. Last year we averaged 75 miles a weekend on our recumbent trikes, so the stat bike wasn't really rounding out our workouts. And we prefer to walk outside together, so we decided to replace the treadmill with equipment we would use: resistance bands, hand and ankle weights, a magic circle, an ab wheel, a circuit trainer (rebounder) and hula hoop.

Our goal is to switch up our workouts, stay interested and motivated, have fun and improve fitness and strength. 

If your goal is improved fitness, then check with your doctor to see if any of these exercise possibilities are right for you. But no matter what else you do today, please get moving. Your healthy future depends upon it.

Keeping Fit: A Positive Approach to the Aging Process

Message 29 of 29 (5,958 Views)

Here's a story of a man who needed to bulk up in his 80s in order to preserve good health. Strength training is important as we age. What are you doing to maintain muscle development and core strength as you age?

Keeping Fit: A POSITIVE APPROACH TO THE AGING PROCESS

WAYNE L. WESTCOTT, Ph.D.

SFA National Advisory Board member, Wayne L. Westcott, Ph.D. is Fitness Director of the South Shore YMCA in Quincy, MA., and author of several books including the new releases Building Strength and Stamina and Strength Training Past 50.

"The good news is that muscle loss can be changed to muscle gain ..."

Most of us speak negatively about getting older, but we usually agree that aging is better than the other alternative. Although the numbers can be discouraging, it is important to realize that our chronological age and our functional age can be very different. Working in the fitness profession for more than 30 years, and conducting thousands of fitness evaluations, I have come to the conclusion that one's functional ability may be only marginally related to one's age.

Generally speaking, I have tested 40 year olds who function more like 20 year olds, and others who function more like 60 year olds. That is, there seems to be a 20-year plus or minus effect associated with your level of physical fitness.

People sometimes ask me if this exercise factor holds true for older individuals. My answer is an emphatic yes. For example, there are 60 year olds who have the physical capacity of 40 year olds, and there are others whose physical performance resembles that of 80 year olds.

But what about people in their 80's and 90's? Certainly we don't expect such elderly individuals to exercise or remain physically active, do we? Perhaps we don't, but we definitely should. Consider the examples of my father, Warren Westcott, and my friend, George Conway, both of whom are in their 90's.

My father began Nautilus strength training eight years ago, when he was 82 years of age. At that time he was dangerously thin, weighing only 124 pounds at a height of 5'11".

He responded well to the progressive resistance exercise, gradually increasing both his muscle strength and body weight. At age 90, he presently weighs 146 pounds having added about 20 pounds of functional tissue (muscle and bone), and about two pounds of fat. His Nautilus exercise weightloads are so high that many people prefer not to follow him down the line of machines. For example, he completes leg presses with 190 pounds, chest-triceps presses with 160 pounds, and seated rows with 130 pounds. This overall muscular strength makes his daily tasks and lifestyle activities much easier to perform, and provides a high level of personal satisfaction. For example, he can enjoy his daily 20 minute walks or stationary cycling sessions, and he can manage a large house with little difficulty.

Taken from: www.seniorfitness.net

Read the rest of this article, and learn how George Conway began his exercise program when he was 80. George is now a competitve senior athlete. http://www.seniorfitness.net/massachusetts_governor.htm 

George tells it like it is ... if you don't want to lose it then you have to use it!