How Does Your Brain Score? Take the Staying Sharp Brain Health Assessment

Conversationalist

Re: Keeping Fit: A Positive Approach to the Aging Process

Message 1 of 29 (250 Views)

Man alive, @Epster this is a jam-packed thread! More good info.

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 29 (739 Views)

NerdyMom wrote:

I'm going to hang out in this forum more often.  I'm learning a lot from you guys! 

My mom is 76 and she walks an hour daily.  She doesn't need any meds or have any issues other than probably working too hard and not knowing her limits.  I wonder if strengthening her core muscles might help that.

Anyway, this is the "problem" I want to have as I age.  Smiley Wink    I just got back into biking, and I need to get myself to the gym, although the equipment listed here looks really enticing.  

This is the year I turn 50 and I want to make sure my older years are as healthy as I can make them.  Thanks for all the good ideas and info!

Woo Hoo and Huzzbah to your mom!  That's exactly the 76 I want to see: active, strong, not needing any meds. That's exactly why I spend so much energy to be as healthy at this age (58) as possible!  Thank you for the inspiration, @NerdyMom. Smiley Happy

I picked up a bunch of exercise gear for a song via the Rewards for Good program a couple of years ago. It's been working perfectly for us. Not sure if they still have it available, but I do know they created a healthy lifestyle rewards catalog section so you may be able to get some of this gear through that website. 

I wish you every success. Smiley Happy

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 29 (754 Views)

I'm going to hang out in this forum more often.  I'm learning a lot from you guys! 

My mom is 76 and she walks an hour daily.  She doesn't need any meds or have any issues other than probably working too hard and not knowing her limits.  I wonder if strengthening her core muscles might help that.

Anyway, this is the "problem" I want to have as I age.  Smiley Wink    I just got back into biking, and I need to get myself to the gym, although the equipment listed here looks really enticing.  

This is the year I turn 50 and I want to make sure my older years are as healthy as I can make them.  Thanks for all the good ideas and info!

[ Edited ]
Message 4 of 29 (813 Views)

Marimar0 wrote:
I am impressed with the techniques listed here. I used to jog (can't anymore), bicycle with spouse on a tandem (won't anymore because of roadie ragers) and yoga classes (now only stretching at home with KV cd tapes etc.). Now I walk fast with my dog (45 min. or more) whenever possible. I try to play doubles tennis 2xs a week and when the weather permits I do lap swimming and pool exercises. When I travel I can easily keep up with the walking and I will use weights and elliptical trainer in a hotel gym. Most BW and HIE have decent gyms. When I walk I sometimes remember to squish my abs in and when I discuss something with someone I usually stand as tall as my frame allows. Plus I do housework. I try to keep fresh veggies and fruits in the home always. We eat out seldom compared to most people I know and I have learned to be a decent home cook.

@Marimar0 Sounds like you are making all the right moves to achieve a fantastic tomorrow and radically good health! Huzzbah!

Smiley Happy

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving

Message 5 of 29 (1,059 Views)

comet2k wrote:

Deal.

Clean living -- for the most part -- is a regular part of my routine. It helps to have a wife who is on a paleo diet and a Siberian husky who "requires" four walks a day no matter the weather. My bggest challenge is to stick with a strength-training routine for more than a few months. So far, so good this year.

As I said earlier, I feel really lucky with having good health. I know I can't stop the aging proess, but I hope I can slow it down a little through sustained exercise.

@comet2k Exactly my thoughts: I am fortunate to have thus far preserved good health and I intend to give everything I've got to keeping it!

I think there's much to be said for a spouse who is dedicated to his or her health. DH works out with me. We race recumbent trikes at the senior games level. If it was one or the other of us interested in clean living, I doubt we'd have gotten very far, but together: wowee! Smiley Happy

Here's hoping the years ahead are kind to all who actively pursue good health!

Conversationalist

Message 6 of 29 (1,065 Views)

Deal.

Clean living -- for the most part -- is a regular part of my routine. It helps to have a wife who is on a paleo diet and a Siberian husky who "requires" four walks a day no matter the weather. My bggest challenge is to stick with a strength-training routine for more than a few months. So far, so good this year.

As I said earlier, I feel really lucky with having good health. I know I can't stop the aging proess, but I hope I can slow it down a little through sustained exercise.

Super Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 29 (1,088 Views)
Yeah, like your hip!

Message 8 of 29 (1,098 Views)

comet2k wrote:

Warren and George who were mentioned in the article sound like miracle men,

@comet2k LOL!  Tell you what, I've seen a LOT of super fit seniors at the senior games. So howabout you and me (I'm 58) make a deal with ourselves: how about we keep up our clean living and serious physical activity/workouts and let's see if we cannot be like Warren and George.

Smiley Happy

Conversationalist

Message 9 of 29 (1,109 Views)

Warren and George who were mentioned in the article sound like miracle men, not ordinary old guys. Hope I can come close to that when I reach that age. At 69 I'm in good health and taking advantage of it. I walk my dog 3-4 miles most days (did 6 today), play golf, ride a bike (weather permitting in the Chicago area) and do a lot of physical work around the house.

I'm also a big believer in strength training and lift weights at home 3 days a week, plus do core exercises on 3 other days. The benefits are greater strength, agility, flexibility and stronger bones. You can simply do more things with less effort and less risk of injury.

I understand that many people have physical or health limitations that restrict what they can do. They should do as much as they safely can -- anything that gets them moving. It will help them in everyday chores and perhaps make them feel better about themselves. What I don't understand is that so many reasonably healthy people get little or no exercise, with the usual result being loss of strength with a gain in weight. 

Do what you can while you still can. Life can be too easy if the most exercise you get is from eating and operating a TV remote control. 

I've been lucky healthwise, with no major ailments to slow me down. I'm trying to take full advantage of my good luck while I still have it. Why squander good health when there are so many ways to enjoy it?

Conversationalist

Message 10 of 29 (1,143 Views)
I am impressed with the techniques listed here. I used to jog (can't anymore), bicycle with spouse on a tandem (won't anymore because of roadie ragers) and yoga classes (now only stretching at home with KV cd tapes etc.). Now I walk fast with my dog (45 min. or more) whenever possible. I try to play doubles tennis 2xs a week and when the weather permits I do lap swimming and pool exercises. When I travel I can easily keep up with the walking and I will use weights and elliptical trainer in a hotel gym. Most BW and HIE have decent gyms. When I walk I sometimes remember to squish my abs in and when I discuss something with someone I usually stand as tall as my frame allows. Plus I do housework. I try to keep fresh veggies and fruits in the home always. We eat out seldom compared to most people I know and I have learned to be a decent home cook.