How Does Your Brain Score? Take the Staying Sharp Brain Health Assessment

Respected Social Butterfly

Re: Keeping Fit: A Positive Approach to the Aging Process

Message 1 of 25 (195 Views)

comet2k wrote:

Deal.

Clean living -- for the most part -- is a regular part of my routine. It helps to have a wife who is on a paleo diet and a Siberian husky who "requires" four walks a day no matter the weather. My bggest challenge is to stick with a strength-training routine for more than a few months. So far, so good this year.

As I said earlier, I feel really lucky with having good health. I know I can't stop the aging proess, but I hope I can slow it down a little through sustained exercise.

@comet2k Exactly my thoughts: I am fortunate to have thus far preserved good health and I intend to give everything I've got to keeping it!

I think there's much to be said for a spouse who is dedicated to his or her health. DH works out with me. We race recumbent trikes at the senior games level. If it was one or the other of us interested in clean living, I doubt we'd have gotten very far, but together: wowee! Smiley Happy

Here's hoping the years ahead are kind to all who actively pursue good health!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Good health neither comes cheap, nor is it easy.
Conversationalist

Message 2 of 25 (201 Views)

Deal.

Clean living -- for the most part -- is a regular part of my routine. It helps to have a wife who is on a paleo diet and a Siberian husky who "requires" four walks a day no matter the weather. My bggest challenge is to stick with a strength-training routine for more than a few months. So far, so good this year.

As I said earlier, I feel really lucky with having good health. I know I can't stop the aging proess, but I hope I can slow it down a little through sustained exercise.

Regular Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 25 (224 Views)
Yeah, like your hip!

Message 4 of 25 (234 Views)

comet2k wrote:

Warren and George who were mentioned in the article sound like miracle men,

@comet2k LOL!  Tell you what, I've seen a LOT of super fit seniors at the senior games. So howabout you and me (I'm 58) make a deal with ourselves: how about we keep up our clean living and serious physical activity/workouts and let's see if we cannot be like Warren and George.

Smiley Happy

Conversationalist

Message 5 of 25 (245 Views)

Warren and George who were mentioned in the article sound like miracle men, not ordinary old guys. Hope I can come close to that when I reach that age. At 69 I'm in good health and taking advantage of it. I walk my dog 3-4 miles most days (did 6 today), play golf, ride a bike (weather permitting in the Chicago area) and do a lot of physical work around the house.

I'm also a big believer in strength training and lift weights at home 3 days a week, plus do core exercises on 3 other days. The benefits are greater strength, agility, flexibility and stronger bones. You can simply do more things with less effort and less risk of injury.

I understand that many people have physical or health limitations that restrict what they can do. They should do as much as they safely can -- anything that gets them moving. It will help them in everyday chores and perhaps make them feel better about themselves. What I don't understand is that so many reasonably healthy people get little or no exercise, with the usual result being loss of strength with a gain in weight. 

Do what you can while you still can. Life can be too easy if the most exercise you get is from eating and operating a TV remote control. 

I've been lucky healthwise, with no major ailments to slow me down. I'm trying to take full advantage of my good luck while I still have it. Why squander good health when there are so many ways to enjoy it?

Conversationalist

Message 6 of 25 (276 Views)
I am impressed with the techniques listed here. I used to jog (can't anymore), bicycle with spouse on a tandem (won't anymore because of roadie ragers) and yoga classes (now only stretching at home with KV cd tapes etc.). Now I walk fast with my dog (45 min. or more) whenever possible. I try to play doubles tennis 2xs a week and when the weather permits I do lap swimming and pool exercises. When I travel I can easily keep up with the walking and I will use weights and elliptical trainer in a hotel gym. Most BW and HIE have decent gyms. When I walk I sometimes remember to squish my abs in and when I discuss something with someone I usually stand as tall as my frame allows. Plus I do housework. I try to keep fresh veggies and fruits in the home always. We eat out seldom compared to most people I know and I have learned to be a decent home cook.
Info Seeker

Message 7 of 25 (290 Views)

Smoking marijauna once a day... Isn't life great! Even at this ageSmiley Wink

Message 8 of 25 (378 Views)

Saw this yesterday and thought it appropriate for this thread. 

use it or lose it.jpg

[ Edited ]
Message 9 of 25 (475 Views)

Just saw this and found it a good, positive thought for anyone striving to up their physical conditioning game this week: 

committed_hungry.jpg

Go, go, go, go go!

[ Edited ]
Message 10 of 25 (488 Views)

Short video showing correct way to do an ab wheel roll out (to save yourself back injury). The roll out is a good entry level exercise. (Vid also shows homemade version for you DIYers)

As always, check with your doctor before beginning any new exercise program.