Tell Congress to Oppose Any Tax Bill That Would Increase Taxes for Seniors! Take Action Now

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Keeping Fit: A Positive Approach to the Aging Process

Message 1 of 44 (117 Views)

Best regards, @jasong392278! Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Info Seeker

Message 2 of 44 (126 Views)
Very helpful to say the least! thank you.

Message 3 of 44 (248 Views)

jasong392278 wrote:

I'm 62 years old, and I've been trying my best to stay healthy by diet and exercise. Boy, if there a difference between then and now. I do use a TENS unit to help me with my muscle pain which has been a real blessing for me especially with this age. Anyone else uses it? If so, I'd love to know more about your experience. 

Hi @jasong392278 and welcome to the online community.

I had never heard of a TENS unit, so went looking around. This is what I found, posting it here for anyone else who may be interested: 

TENS – Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation

is a therapy that has been around for years and used to treat nerve related pain conditions. Prescribed by doctors, physical therapists, pain management clinics and personal trainers since the 1960s, TENS uses low-voltage electrical pulses to interrupt pain signals before they reach the brain through soothing pulses that simulate natural painkillers, called endorphins.

What kind of pain conditions does TENS target?

TENS provides pain relief for many different types of conditions and illnesses, including, but not limited to, pulled or strained muscles, tendinitis, bursitis, lower back pain, osteoarthritis, fibromyalgia, bone pain, and diabetic peripheral neuropathy. In addition, TENS is often used by fitness and sports enthusiasts to provide relief for post-workout pain or soreness and to help muscles relax and recover.

How does TENS work?

Using the HiDow TENS unit of your choice is easy. Gone are the days when these units were bulky, costly, and only available by prescription. HiDow TENS units are a real game-changer: portable, hands-free and rechargeable with a streamlined, modern look.

To get started, you simply connect the electrodes from the small, battery-powered machine to your skin, using reusable and self-adhesive silicon electrode gel pads as the conduit. By doing so, you create a circuit of electrical impulses that painlessly travel along your nerve fibers.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Info Seeker

Message 4 of 44 (262 Views)

I'm 62 years old, and I've been trying my best to stay healthy by diet and exercise. Boy, if there a difference between then and now. I do use a TENS unit to help me with my muscle pain which has been a real blessing for me especially with this age. Anyone else uses it? If so, I'd love to know more about your experience. 

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 44 (456 Views)

@woodstacker52  Yes, dancing is great.  Exercise for the mind and body and fun.  None can stay sad dancing!  

I have square danced and taken clogging lessons.  I loved clogging but I am a klutz and took forever to learn certain steps!

vita umbratilis
Info Seeker

Message 6 of 44 (470 Views)

I Square Dance 2 or 3 nights a week. Modern Western Square Dancing keeps your mind working, cardio workout , alertness not tiring,  meet people of all ages.  Learn as a family 7yr olds to 100. My Mom learned to dance at 80yrs old. Danced for 6 yrs.   not just country music dance to all sorts of songs old and new. I'm 69 and I'm hoping to live and dance to 100. See u in a square.  I also try to walk a mile or two 2. Hard to do in **bleep**

Message 7 of 44 (549 Views)

vs6063 wrote:
This is coming from Dr. J people!

@vs6063 Sorry to confuse. It's just a Dr J quote used as a signature line. Smiley Happy He's absolutely one of my inspirations to maintain fitness so I can compete at Senior Games, however. Smiley Happy

Epster, not Dr J

Info Seeker

Message 8 of 44 (557 Views)
This is coming from Dr. J people!
Info Seeker

Message 9 of 44 (566 Views)

Love to swim laps. At 74, I'm sure that swimming 3 times a week and walking on alternate days has kept me very well. I take only two meds and am physically  more agile and well than most of my friends! 

Conversationalist

Message 10 of 44 (597 Views)

I'm 68 years old, stand 5'7" tall, and weigh 120 pounds.  My face looks like a road map of wrinkles, and my hair is thinning out.  I still wear high heels, skirts, and all the fancy stuff to work, and try to dress with class rather than with fad.  My look on life is to keep hoping, keep trying, and keep dreaming.  Just because I'm old does not make for an "old woman".  I have heart. I thank God every day that I can walk, talk, see, and hear and all of these combined make me want to do as much as I can. My dream is to open a craft store, my heart belongs to God, my husband, children and dogs.  My life is my own (with some hold backs - answering for every little crazy thing I do), but if I give up I will not be me.  I want to go to heaven sliding in, and knowing I enjoyed every moment of my life and did the best I could with it.  Old is not an age - it's the way you feel about life and all the things you still want to try.