The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Conversationalist

Re: Keeping Fit: A Positive Approach to the Aging Process

Message 11 of 44 (514 Views)

I am grateful for everyday, everyday is a day of possibility.    Grateful for family, friends, & opportunity!

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 12 of 44 (512 Views)

@rp8149 Gotta love a positive approach! Good health to you!

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Silver Conversationalist

Message 13 of 44 (477 Views)

Aging is in the mind, get up every mornng with a smile and thankul spirit that the Lord has given you another day. Take a walk to the nearest mall or store, meet and greet with a smile even though other may not smile back. Be thank for your ability to move, walk, and able to take care of your self. I am thankful every day that my Lord has given me the ability to care for my self,. I can drive my car where I need to go, last year I drove to Mississippi, New Orlean, and Texas , just me and my Lord.  I am thankful to my Lord:

[ Edited ]
Message 14 of 44 (1,175 Views)

ip3285 wrote:

As a former certified fitness instructor whose first job was teaching weight training to men (I'm a 4'10" tall, 88 pound woman), I feel that the way to stay fit no matter what a person's age is to be consistent in your exercise, learn proper techniques, do what works for you and ignore what others can do.  Wall pushups work just fine if you can't do floor pushups.  Remember to warm up and cool down, and to s-t-r-e-t-c-h those muscles after they've warmed up.  So if you don't bulk up, no problem.  The idea is to feel good, have energy, gain endurance, and admire yourself for what you're doing.  Have fun! 

@ip3285 Sage words indeed. Thanks!

DH and I, 56 & 58 respectively, have lost a combined 63 pounds in the past 2 years. And yes, along the way we did lose some muscle, so have increased our weight and resistance training in order to regain some of what's been lost. This effort has been supported in no small part by our group of competitive cyclist friends, many of whom are older than are we. These people are in top shape and they are competing at a the masters level; they have made us better. So I'd say that minding one's tribe and creating a circle of friends who support your efforts is a good idea.  

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Gold Conversationalist

Message 15 of 44 (1,142 Views)

As a former certified fitness instructor whose first job was teaching weight training to men (I'm a 4'10" tall, 88 pound woman), I feel that the way to stay fit no matter what a person's age is to be consistent in your exercise, learn proper techniques, do what works for you and ignore what others can do.  Wall pushups work just fine if you can't do floor pushups.  Remember to warm up and cool down, and to s-t-r-e-t-c-h those muscles after they've warmed up.  So if you don't bulk up, no problem.  The idea is to feel good, have energy, gain endurance, and admire yourself for what you're doing.  Have fun! 

Gold Conversationalist

Message 16 of 44 (2,202 Views)

Man alive, @Epster this is a jam-packed thread! More good info.

Message 17 of 44 (2,650 Views)

NerdyMom wrote:

I'm going to hang out in this forum more often.  I'm learning a lot from you guys! 

My mom is 76 and she walks an hour daily.  She doesn't need any meds or have any issues other than probably working too hard and not knowing her limits.  I wonder if strengthening her core muscles might help that.

Anyway, this is the "problem" I want to have as I age.  Smiley Wink    I just got back into biking, and I need to get myself to the gym, although the equipment listed here looks really enticing.  

This is the year I turn 50 and I want to make sure my older years are as healthy as I can make them.  Thanks for all the good ideas and info!

Woo Hoo and Huzzbah to your mom!  That's exactly the 76 I want to see: active, strong, not needing any meds. That's exactly why I spend so much energy to be as healthy at this age (58) as possible!  Thank you for the inspiration, @NerdyMom. Smiley Happy

I picked up a bunch of exercise gear for a song via the Rewards for Good program a couple of years ago. It's been working perfectly for us. Not sure if they still have it available, but I do know they created a healthy lifestyle rewards catalog section so you may be able to get some of this gear through that website. 

I wish you every success. Smiley Happy

Super Social Butterfly

Message 18 of 44 (2,658 Views)

I'm going to hang out in this forum more often.  I'm learning a lot from you guys! 

My mom is 76 and she walks an hour daily.  She doesn't need any meds or have any issues other than probably working too hard and not knowing her limits.  I wonder if strengthening her core muscles might help that.

Anyway, this is the "problem" I want to have as I age.  Smiley Wink    I just got back into biking, and I need to get myself to the gym, although the equipment listed here looks really enticing.  

This is the year I turn 50 and I want to make sure my older years are as healthy as I can make them.  Thanks for all the good ideas and info!

[ Edited ]
Message 19 of 44 (2,709 Views)

Marimar0 wrote:
I am impressed with the techniques listed here. I used to jog (can't anymore), bicycle with spouse on a tandem (won't anymore because of roadie ragers) and yoga classes (now only stretching at home with KV cd tapes etc.). Now I walk fast with my dog (45 min. or more) whenever possible. I try to play doubles tennis 2xs a week and when the weather permits I do lap swimming and pool exercises. When I travel I can easily keep up with the walking and I will use weights and elliptical trainer in a hotel gym. Most BW and HIE have decent gyms. When I walk I sometimes remember to squish my abs in and when I discuss something with someone I usually stand as tall as my frame allows. Plus I do housework. I try to keep fresh veggies and fruits in the home always. We eat out seldom compared to most people I know and I have learned to be a decent home cook.

@Marimar0 Sounds like you are making all the right moves to achieve a fantastic tomorrow and radically good health! Huzzbah!

Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Message 20 of 44 (2,934 Views)

comet2k wrote:

Deal.

Clean living -- for the most part -- is a regular part of my routine. It helps to have a wife who is on a paleo diet and a Siberian husky who "requires" four walks a day no matter the weather. My bggest challenge is to stick with a strength-training routine for more than a few months. So far, so good this year.

As I said earlier, I feel really lucky with having good health. I know I can't stop the aging proess, but I hope I can slow it down a little through sustained exercise.

@comet2k Exactly my thoughts: I am fortunate to have thus far preserved good health and I intend to give everything I've got to keeping it!

I think there's much to be said for a spouse who is dedicated to his or her health. DH works out with me. We race recumbent trikes at the senior games level. If it was one or the other of us interested in clean living, I doubt we'd have gotten very far, but together: wowee! Smiley Happy

Here's hoping the years ahead are kind to all who actively pursue good health!