Join AARP in Celebration of Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month. Nominate Someone for the AAPI Hero Award

Highlighted
Respected Social Butterfly

Re: How to Practice Yoga When You Have Arthritis or Another Chronic Condition

[ Edited ]
Message 1 of 6 (329 Views)

The slideshow story in the original post mentions the need for a good instructor. From what I've read, even the breathing part is best learned with an instructor.

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 6 (332 Views)

After taking yoga classes for may years, I would prefer working with an instructor, because a good one makes sure your position/posture are correct, and if you do it watching a DVD, you really don't get feedback. Even a mirror isn't that much help, because you wouldn't be looking at it most of the time.

A good instructor also knows how to modify the postures, depending on individual needs.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!

[ Edited ]
Message 3 of 6 (345 Views)

Arthritis is a widespread debilitating and painful disease, I'm lucky in that I do not currently suffer from it. I should probably say yet: I expect arthritis will be a part of my future, as there are certain irregularities in my skeletal system that suggest such. 

As for the yoga interest, DH and I have picked up an instructional DVD series with intent to learn, however have been focused on other types of physical conditioning. We figure yoga will be a good practice to have by the time we hit the road in the RV, in part due to the reduced space and in part because of the many benefits yoga offers in terms of balance, flexibility and strength. 

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 6 (355 Views)

@Epster - Do you have arthritis?

Registered on Online Community since 2007!

Message 5 of 6 (432 Views)

Do you have any additonal tips for practising yoga with arthritis or some other chronic condition? Share it here!

How to Practice Yoga When You Have Arthritis or Another Chronic Condition

[ Edited ]
Message 6 of 6 (449 Views)

I ran across this slideshow and thought some here might find it useful. If that's you: here's to your improved mobility! And if you have additional tips to share, please do so. Smiley Happy

slide 1 yoga.png

slide6 yoga.png

slide11 yoga.png

Read the entire piece here:  http://health.usnews.com/wellness/fitness/slideshows/how-to-practice-yoga-when-you-have-arthritis-or...