The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Info Seeker

Re: How long do you want live? 80, 90, 100?

Message 71 of 135 (3,592 Views)

I'm 66.  When I was a young child, it somehow came to me that I was going to live to be 93.  I didn't question how I got the info - I was young (maybe 8), & with the simple faith of a child, believed it came from God.  Although somewhat overweight, & dealing for 20 years with fibromyalgia, I'm otherwise healthy & continue to work.  Genetics are on my side.  So I still believe 93 is my number. I would be even more pleased about that if I had not been widowed at 64.  I hope to find my last love to share these last decades on earth with me.  More fun that way!

Always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself.” - Richard Nixon
Info Seeker

Message 72 of 135 (3,386 Views)

For me I think 80 would be a good age.  I'm 60 right now and I think another 20 years would see me through what I want to do.  I may change my mind later if I stay in good health, have a good mind, and stay active.

Info Seeker

Message 73 of 135 (3,560 Views)

I'm with you, s814175p - 80 might even be too long to live, IMHO. I always think of the A.E. Houseman poem: http://www.bartleby.com/103/33.html - and am not counting on more than my "threescore years and ten", which seems about right to me. 

Info Seeker

Message 74 of 135 (3,259 Views)

From my perspective of 64, I feel like everyday is an adventure so I choose 100+. I am healthy with no illness or disability at this time so maybe things will change, there is no way to know. My mom is 88 and vibrant, I know she chooses to be here as long as possible. My poor dad had Alzheimers, but he still fought to survive because he loved his life so much. I have always wanted to live a long life and that hasn't changed as I have aged. I look forward to each and every day!

Gold Conversationalist

Message 75 of 135 (2,836 Views)

Old age and dying became clear to me when my dad had a brain tumor. He was a businessman, and trust me, he became a different person. He was funny, and I had the PLEASURE TO TAKE CARE OF HIM FOR 8 MONTHS. I got to know the man that I loved the most, only better. God allowed that joy for me to get even closer. He was my herro. When we take our own life it keeps people from drawing close to us during the dying process. My best friends mother took the easy way out and she said she will never forgive her for being so weak. I don't mean to say that in a hurtful way to people that disagree, but she said she felt her mother was weak, but maybe she just wanted to help her mother and get close, as I had the joy of doing. Not every family is the same, or close, and some have no one. But there are people out there that can help fill that proccess, as I think I have read about them, maybe hospice knows. Yes it is scarry to hurt, and die, but God must have his reasons. There are days that I feel that my children are so busy that they might now have that kind of time, or patience for me. Everyone is working, moving, or on their phone, or a movie at night...you know, I'm busy watching a movie Mom/Dad. Why not talk to your family, or hospice, or church, now. There are great payoffs for those left behind that help you through the final journey, but in my opinion, into the arms of Jesus. 

Dianne Brenneman
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 76 of 135 (2,210 Views)
I urge you to do something now. Get moving as much as you are able. What is happening to your parents and other family members does not need to happen to you. Get moving!
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 77 of 135 (2,171 Views)

I am sorry to read that you are dealing with nerve pain.  Unfortunately. the treatments available for nerve pain and lots of other types of pain don't work and sometimes the side effects are worse than the pain you are having.  You may find some help from other sources. I suggest you locate a Naturopathic doctor.  My daughter is a massage therapist and has spent her entire life educating herself and me with regards to natural healing methods.  I take a lot of supplements and go to a chiropractor 2 times a week.  I walk almost everyday since a neurologist told me that it would keep me from getting dementia. I pray that you will find the help you need.  I did suffer with nerve pain for years and I don't have it now.  I will be praying for you and that you will find the help you need.

Info Seeker

Message 78 of 135 (2,219 Views)

Why on earth would I want to live that long?  Maybe till 80, but after that I would really not want to live much past that.  The elderly are treated so poorly in this country and if you don't have your health, it's a lot worse. Doctor's are trying to keep us alive longer and longer, but with the economy the way it is, and the Health Insurance crisis, why would I want to prolong that?  No one knows if Social Seurity will still be around so living longer will just drain all your finance's and eventually you will end up broke. By the time I reach 80 I whould have lived a full life, and I want to go out with dignity rather than stuck in a nursing facility or a burden to someone else.  Just my two cents worth.  Thanks,  

Super Social Butterfly

Message 79 of 135 (2,032 Views)

Depends on what shape I am in at the time.

Info Seeker

Message 80 of 135 (2,041 Views)

Absolutely!   I fully believe that I have the right to choose when I depart & will do so when the conditions are not opportune for self sustained viability.   Otherwise, I intend to go, go, go until the engine slows down considerably.