How Does Your Brain Score? Take the Staying Sharp Brain Health Assessment

Bronze Conversationalist

Re: How long do you want live? 80, 90, 100?

Message 41 of 85 (1,151 Views)

As long as I am able to get around, enjoy a cold beer, flirt with a woman, and enjoy life, bring it on.

Conversationalist

Message 42 of 85 (1,084 Views)

Only thing about a "death with dignity" bill, thus enabling people to determine when and where they would die in the event of a terminal illness or debilitating disease, think it could too easily be used against those suffering same as a reason to be "put to sleep" - humans like animals!!  Time will come when this could happen without strict laws in place.  If we think it is OK to kill preborn humans for sake of convenience, who would give a thought to doing so to an older human deemed useless or inconvenient!?  That said, many of my relatives lives into their late 80s, 90s, one aunt just short of 100th birthday-will stick around as long as the good L-rd says so, but hope I have another twenty or more years.  Too much still to do!

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 43 of 85 (1,059 Views)

I am 70 and presently live in a retirement community  Many residents here are well into their late 80's and many even into their 90's.  We even have had a couple over 100!  For myself, I have made friends with these people and when they have passed away, it is a sad time.  I realize that, since my friends are older and will probably be gone long before I hit my 80's I am not sure I want to live that long. Longevity does not translate into happiness necessarily.  If my relatives and friends are gone or I am in a  condition that as I get older they just wheel me around in a wheelchair, I think 90   would be more than enough for me.  I have lived a good life and maybe haven't had the experiences of some others, but it was enough for me.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 44 of 85 (1,088 Views)

Babies born in the last few years have life expectancies of 120.  I think I'll go into my coffin kicking and screaming--I don't want to die--I haven't lived a full life yet.  There's a whole world I've yet to explore.  I've spent all my young years married, and now that there's no kids to care for,  and I'm still healthy, that world is beckoning to me.  We don't have the option of knowing when the end will come, but I'd like to say I've really lived--like Auntie Mame!

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 45 of 85 (1,171 Views)

Age is just a number, and in this case it isn't the salient piece of data.

I don't care if I'm 62: if I experience some event that 'preserves' my life via machines, I would rather be dead. If I will never again recognize the smell of an elk herd on the wind; if I will never again be able to identify wildflowers in my yard, let alone tell DH what is his favorite dish or the name of the street where he grew up; if I am a vegetable, I want to be tossed onto the compost pile.

That said, I am planning to live until my late 90s.

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Info Seeker

Message 46 of 85 (1,197 Views)

Impossible to say without knowing what my circumstances will be at any given age.  If I'm relatively healthy, of sound mind, have sufficient financial resources, and the love of my life is still with me, then anything goes!  100 would be fine if all these conditions are met.  

Conversationalist

Message 47 of 85 (3,036 Views)

Info Seeker

Message 48 of 85 (3,933 Views)

Thank you forr the referral to the article. Good points in it. I was a speech therpaist for years and obtained a MDIV. I am very much intressted looking at social customs in America re: saying good bye and end of life issues. Seems we do well welcoming new life, Not so well in sying gid bye with peace and dignity. Blessings!

Info Seeker

Message 49 of 85 (4,192 Views)

I want to live to be 100, and beyond infinity.

Info Seeker

Message 50 of 85 (4,146 Views)
I would like to live to be 90 . My parents were both 90 when they passed away . My grandfather was 93 . My brother just turned 87 . And I'm close to 70 . So hoping to reach 90 ,but only if sound mind .