AARP’s New Video Explains the Perils of the Health Care Bill in Storybook Fashion. Watch Here

Info Seeker

Re: How long do you want live? 80, 90, 100?

Message 1 of 85 (334 Views)
I think it is impossible to truly judge a person who decides to end their own life. There are people who live with pain & it becomes more than they are able to continue living with. That can be physical as well as emotional pain. I think Mental Illness is highly misunderstood & can be overwhelming for the sufferer. Often even the family who are touched by generations of mental illness accept the fear & stigma that is prevalent in society. When they do they are unable to help or understand their family member who suffers from MI. The case you mentioned is a case in point. Your friend states her mother took the 'easy way out' and you surmise that the mother knew her daughter was incapable of empathy for Mom, so Mom was left with more aloneness when her depression became overwhelming & she acted on it. I think there are far more people in our world who are held in low esteem because they are very sensitive people.
They are often looked down on as being weak or shunned by those who should be valuing the quality of compassion & empathy that many labeled people live with. I have had a lot of MI in my family & it had caused an early death for several family members. These were each caring, sharing people who would go far to help others. But they did not receive the therapy & medications nor supportive understanding from family members that was missing in their lives. When a family member is rejected by other family members (especially in the parent/ child relationship), that can contribute to a person's self esteem to plummet.
More understanding & respect for people who choose to leave this world on their own terms is needed.
Info Seeker

Message 2 of 85 (531 Views)

It is only when the pain in life exceeds the joy in life with all hope extinguished that death becomes attractive.  Maintain the joy, extinguish the pain, and live a century or more. 

Conversationalist

Message 3 of 85 (627 Views)

For me age isn't about time, it's a state of mind. I'm 58 now, I have some health issues but I still enjoy life. I have to work around my health stuff, but I find joy in little things. I want to see my grandson's children grow up. I want to see him succeed in life. Not about making a ton of money, but grow up, be happy and create the life he wants. He's 16 now, so if I have to live to be 100+ to achieve that, then that's what I'll do. I'm a very determined human being

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 85 (661 Views)

I don't want to pick a specific age.  I'm 70 now and in good health, so as long as that remains true, and I'm able to live a meaningful life, I want to keep going.

Info Seeker

[ Edited ]
Message 5 of 85 (763 Views)

At 58 years old, I naturally ran circles around my younger colleagues at work. I am told that I look like someone in her early 40's - I feel like someone in her 30's. This was a beautiful video.

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 85 (847 Views)
Wait a minute! "My friends (sic) mother took the easy way out and she said she will never forgive her for being so weak." I assume the woman committed suicide. It is easy to pass judgement on another when you do not truly know what is going on with an individual. I believe the daughter, needs to realize that she does not know what, precisely, was going on with her mother. You suggest they were not close. Perhaps, Mom knew that daughter was a judgemental person and incapable of providing empathy and therefore kept her own counsel. The mother's suicide, assuming that is what is being talked about, may have been one of the most courageous act that a human being can do.
Info Seeker

Message 7 of 85 (878 Views)

i would like to live to see my grandchildren graduate from college. As long as I can maintain my health and live independently I sure do want to live and experience all the joys of life.

Info Seeker

Message 8 of 85 (907 Views)

Ditto most of above. As long as I'm productive, contributive, and not a burden to my children or society, I'll go for 100 and beat my Mom, who passed from this level at 98.

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 85 (951 Views)

As many comments before, as long as I'm relatively healthy, maintain my hearing and eyesight and can enjoy daily life.

Info Seeker

Message 10 of 85 (1,121 Views)

As long as I can remain useful, independent and relatively pain -free. Much of that depends upon Social Security and Medicare, so it is not age-related. It is Trump-(lack-of )-care related.