The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Info Seeker

Re: How long do you want live? 80, 90, 100?

Message 1 of 135 (621 Views)

I wouldn’t mind reaching the 100 mark, providing I was healthy enough to enjoy it. I really love this world God created, it’s beauty and mystery, it’s people, but, to at last see the face of God, well, that’s something too.

Info Seeker

Message 2 of 135 (1,019 Views)

My mother died at 94. She lived in pain for several years and had difficulty getting around, but she was as smart and sharp as ever. I was with her as she went through the process. She'd told me a few years before she died that she was ready. However, when she went to hospice, she cried.  And then she concentrated on what she loved, her children. I was with her while she passed, talking to her and holding her hand.  I think she left us feeling content. 

My job, at 74, is to live fully.  I'm not rushing around trying to accomplish a bucket list of events.  Instead I do what I want as conditions and money allow.  I enjoy sitting on my back porch in New Orleans, watching storms come through, or drinking my morning coffee while to birds and butterflies sing and dance across the trees and flowers.  Friends and family mean a lot.  Currently I'm back up north visiting my friends who have become part of my family and watching the leaves turn.

While I was raised a Christian, I don't worry about the afterlife.  We live through heaven and hell on earth, so when the choice is mine, I pick heaven.  

As for the process of dying, I have no desire to live through the prolonged pain of disease or dementia.  But if the process is peaceful, I'll take it as I do everything else. 

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 135 (1,024 Views)

I'm 74. I plan to live to 94, then re-evaluate.  20 more years doesn't sound like a lot, especially now (The last 20 zoomed by.) But it may be a lot if my health deteriates.

AARPTeri wrote:

Do you have a number in mind? Do you want to live to be 80, 90 or 100? How about 115 or 120?

Do you think it matters what your expectations are? I do. I think if you expect to live a long healthy life, your chances of doing so are greater.

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 135 (1,036 Views)

Okay, so let's see, I'm 56 as of tomorrow, and I think that I'd like to live to be somewhere between 75-85 years young!  Then when my time comes and I have finished my mission in this life I will move on to my next existence freely and at peace.

Feeling Groovy in New England!

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 5 of 135 (1,293 Views)
Dear LadyAnne73 No matter when the end of my life comes, I know that the Lord is with me and that I am loved and when I take my last breath Jesus will be holding my hand and I will be with Him for all eternity. I will see my dear Mother and my siblings, the many friends that have gone before me and all the worries and problems that I may have will be gone forever and I will be at peace. God bless you.
Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 135 (1,429 Views)

LadyAnne73 wrote:

Today Hugh Hefner passed at the age of 91 . He was functional till his last days, Slow but sure.  Living his life the way he wanted. Aging did not stop him....In 17 yrs I will be 91. That's how I wish to be.

I don't know how to say this, so please forgive me if it comes out wrong. I was living with my mom when her health suddenly dropped like a rock and she nearly died in my arms. I knew she didn't want to be in a nursing home/hospital, but I panicked, and called an ambulance. I didn't know what to do, so I left it up to them. If I was better prepared to handle it, I might have been able to handle it better. Since nobody dies and lives to tell about it, It's still a mystery to us all. It seems to me, that even tho we all know our time will come some day, Being conscious of the event itself is a bit disconcerting. I don't think I'd want to be conscious of my own death. But even tho this may sound a bit morbid, I'd like to find out how people who are about to cross that threshold feel/think about it. I'm not sure if I'd be able to give someone that kind of interview. But when my time comes, I'd like to be prepared for it. I don't know if there is any good way to do that. But it sure seems better than being a bumbling idiot about it. Any thoughts about that?

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 135 (1,465 Views)

Today Hugh Hefner passed at the age of 91 . He was functional till his last days, Slow but sure.  Living his life the way he wanted. Aging did not stop him....In 17 yrs I will be 91. That's how I wish to be.

ANTONETTE LOUISE KEMPLEN
Info Seeker

Message 8 of 135 (1,688 Views)

I expect to live until I'm 120. I'm in good health, very active.  I can't think of anything that would stop me.  My only concern is Alzheimer's. I have family history.  I pray that the Lord will keep my mind.  I'm trying to do what I can.

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 135 (1,854 Views)

I am 71 years old. I would like to live to at least 120 years. But between now and then I am hoping for some miracles from health science to help me maintain a decent quality of life. I'll need more money, too.

Info Seeker

Message 10 of 135 (2,014 Views)

I am 62 years young but I admit I do have some aches and pains some days but to answer question I would like to retire at age 64 or sooner and to my late 80 if it's well with my God