The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: How We Age is 30% Genetics and 70% Personal Choice

Message 1 of 8 (289 Views)

LaDolceVita wrote:

@ASTRAEA  Knees are usually a weak point for so many of us.  I have a problem with my left knee, it acts up sometimes.  Knee problems respond very well to weight loss, I know from personal experience.  So you should be in good shape Woman Very Happy with just a little rest.  I find 2T cherry juice fixes me up in about an hour if I get any kind of joint pain. 

@LaDolceVita  That's black cherry juice, right? DH occasionally uses that for elbow pain. It works wonders. For muscle pain we eat pineapple.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Respected Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 8 (298 Views)

@ASTRAEA  Knees are usually a weak point for so many of us.  I have a problem with my left knee, it acts up sometimes.  Knee problems respond very well to weight loss, I know from personal experience.  So you should be in good shape Woman Very Happy with just a little rest.  I find 2T cherry juice fixes me up in about an hour if I get any kind of joint pain. 

vita umbratilis

Message 3 of 8 (380 Views)

To be clear about what I'm thinking in my last post: I would not have gotten anywhere with regards to my fitness goals if in the past 2 years had I not been able to put up with a bit of pain. Instead, I pushed through the pain time and time again and lost 3 dress sizes (very nearly 4 dress sizes, but I'm not quite there yet) and cycled nearly 7,000 miles and won 9 gold medals. I've improved all vital signs; have been able to rediscover favorite clothing in my closet and look and feel a ton better. I feel like I'm in my 30s.

Pain has been gain. The trick is to know injury pain from the muscle and endurance building sort. 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving

Message 4 of 8 (390 Views)

I don't know about how universally foolish it might be to keep exercising if you have pain. It depends upon the pain, as has been stated here. I have what the doctor called 'malaligned patellas', which means I have to warm up (thinking cycling rather than walking) on 10 miles of relatively flat trail before I can get in any meaningful hill climb training. After I'm warmed up, though, that knee is golden for 60 or 70 miles. The trick is in getting to know one's own pain. And to keep pressing on, because truly there is no gain without pain.

the road to athletic greatness.jpg

Message 5 of 8 (433 Views)

@HammH - People have to know/learn the difference between the pain of using muscles they haven't for a while, and the pain that indicates an actual or potential injury!

I've been taking advantage of the nice summer weather & walking a lot. I guess I've been powering up hills a little too strenuously, and one of my knees began to hurt over the weekend. So I took a few days off, before walking again, and decided to take a flat route  for a few more days, to give my knee a rest. It would be foolish to keep stressing that knee, if I already had pain there.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Gold Conversationalist

Message 6 of 8 (444 Views)

It takes deciding that some discomfort is worth getting to a healthy, active lifestyle. A bit of pain while you make the transformation to health, then BOOM! You are Superman! A doctor said to me once that most folks have no idea how good they can feel.  I think that's true. 

[ Edited ]
Message 7 of 8 (605 Views)

The article talks about senior athletes playing through pain and maybe not knowing when to stop. I take umbrage.  I don't have that experience, nor am I aware of any others that ignore pain. Fact is, we'd tell you our consistent workout and grueling playing schedules keep us from pain.

I do know of a woman, retired, who had both knees replaced. She isn't yet back up to snuff, in some part because she only works out until she feels the first bit of pain. Not all pain is equal. Some pain is required to build strength, muscle, endurance. I know a man who had both knees replaced and he walks 3 miles a day. Not especially fast, but he gets it done. I think the trick is to know your pain.

What do you think?

Speaking of knees though, here's a video about keeping your knees strong:

How We Age is 30% Genetics and 70% Personal Choice

Message 8 of 8 (614 Views)

“How we age is 30 percent genetics and 70 percent under our direct control,” says orthopedic surgeon Vonda Wright, author of “Fitness Over 40” and director of the Performance and Research Initiative for Masters Athletes, a University of Pittsburgh program aimed at helping older sports enthusiasts exercise effectively. “Baby boomers get that, and they want control — they’ve always wanted control. But sports medicine doctors haven’t caught on that these athletes want to hear how to keep playing — not why to stop playing.”

“The fact is,” she adds, “a 75-year-old athlete may still perform many times faster and be in better health than a sedentary 30- or 40-year-old.”

Read the entire article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/older-athletes-are-reluctant-to-take-it-easy-...