ACA Open Enrollment Ends Dec. 15. Review Your Options Before Being Locked in for 2018. Read More

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: How Many Steps per Day are Enough

Message 21 of 33

leslye1949 wrote:

I have always been told 10,000 steps, however I set my vivofit for 12,000 steps.  I rarely get there since I retired.  Most days I walk for 30-45 minutes, and I eat really healthy food.  Having said that, I am overweight, and slowly losing pounds.  Exercise and diet go hand in hand.  My problem is portions.  I love food, so cutting down on portions and eating five times a day instead of three helps me lose weight as long as I keep walking.

@leslye1949  Good for you going for the 12k.  I agree that it may be harder to do 10k easily when you are not working.  I have been off for some weeks and saw the difference between the activity level you take for granted vs what you need to do when your routine is different.  

Thanks for sharing.  Do you do your walking at one time or broken up?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Report Inappropriate Content

Message 22 of 33

leslye1949 wrote:

I have always been told 10,000 steps, however I set my vivofit for 12,000 steps.  I rarely get there since I retired.  Most days I walk for 30-45 minutes, and I eat really healthy food.  Having said that, I am overweight, and slowly losing pounds.  Exercise and diet go hand in hand.  My problem is portions.  I love food, so cutting down on portions and eating five times a day instead of three helps me lose weight as long as I keep walking.

@leslye1949  Good for you! Keep it up and you'll get there. We find that using smaller dishes really helps with portions. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Info Seeker

Message 23 of 33

Message 24 of 33

annles12 wrote:

I decided once I hit 80 years of age, 7000 steps a day was enough but sometimes I just happen to hit 10,000. 

Wow @annles12  that's great!  How long have you been counting steps? and what do you use sto count them?

Info Seeker

Message 25 of 33

I decided once I hit 80 years of age, 7000 steps a day was enough but sometimes I just happen to hit 10,000. 

Message 26 of 33

nyadrn wrote:

Epster wrote:

So yes, do start somewhere. But don't think health will be found in counting steps. Health will be found in sweating until you build muscle, eating right every day and maintaiing a healthy weight. (which for women means a waist measurement of 30 inches or smaller)

Thanks for your opinion but I will continue to count my steps.  Smiley Wink

@nyadrn  Not, as it happens, my personal, original, opinion. This is the often published opinion of health researchers and doctors. But, certainly, do what you want. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving

Message 27 of 33

Epster wrote:

So yes, do start somewhere. But don't think health will be found in counting steps. Health will be found in sweating until you build muscle, eating right every day and maintaiing a healthy weight. (which for women means a waist measurement of 30 inches or smaller)

>>

Thanks for your opinion but I will continue to count my steps.  Smiley Wink

Message 28 of 33

BTW one of those gents walks over 10 miles a day, rain or shine. I cannot imagine what he eats to maintain that bulbous belly of his, but I can tell you it is not healthy!

He's been walking like that for over 10 years. And it does not appear he has lost a single pound.

Healthy eating plus exercise remains the key to good health.

Best wishes to anyone seeking to improve their health through walking! Just remember to make diet adjustments so you'll achieve success! Smiley Happy

Message 29 of 33

Just pointng out that a person can walk 1, 2, 3, 4 or whatever miles per day, sit the rest of the day eating junk food and still be unhealthy.

For years we've seen 3 local gents out walking or biking nearly every time we leave the property. They each have a gargantuan belly. Like the size of two basketballs! This is not healthy. No matter how far they walk, or how many steps they take, that gut is unhealthy and is almost certainly kiling them.

Message 30 of 33

r18266v wrote:

My girl gets in face everymorning for her walk. We normalley do 2 miles in just under 1/2 hour.

Hi and welcome...  is your girl your doggie?  Sounds like a good walking companion!