ACA Open Enrollment Ends Dec. 15. Review Your Options Before Being Locked in for 2018. Read More

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: How Many Steps per Day are Enough

Message 11 of 33

jamesf213534 wrote:

Yes indeed, you are so correct. Biking is such a pleasure compared to stationary bikes, please do more of it! Running as a senior will run heartrate up to big numbers also, get a fitness watch and heart strap like Garmin...then you can accurately track your progress. I love my Garmin. I am 66 & in great shape thanks to my bikes.

@jamesf213534  People like you; stories like yours inspire me so much!  We have a group of senior athlete friends with whom we chat about other senior athetes and their exploits. Smiley Happy I call it the 'What Is Possible' club. Smiley Happy

Absolutely agree about riding bike outside: so much more fun than a stat bike. (I gave away my stat bike last year). We ride (and race) recumbent trikes. Fantastic exercise. I have literally cycled my butt off this year. We got in 129 miles in the past 3 days, for an expenditure of 6,200 calories! That's nearly two pounds worth of calories we worked off since Thanksgiving.

That said, I also believe in walking. It's a fantastic exercise as well. Doesn't burn the calories that cycling (like a maniac) does, but it's a good overall workout. We have a hilly 4.85 mile neighborhood route that we take 3-5 times a week.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 12 of 33

Retired martial arts instructor and kickboxer. Too many broken bones to continue so I kicked up my biking pace and rollerskate at least three sessions weekly. Nothing matches the running though, especially off-road up and down hills (deep ditches). Make sure you protect muscle mass by lifting weights...or else! Us older folk lose muscle fast while dieting so be careful.

Message 13 of 33

jamesf213534 wrote:

Yes indeed, you are so correct. Biking is such a pleasure compared to stationary bikes, please do more of it! Running as a senior will run heartrate up to big numbers also, get a fitness watch and heart strap like Garmin...then you can accurately track your progress. I love my Garmin. I am 66 & in great shape thanks to my bikes.

@jamesf213534  Great..  enjoy.  I personally love stationary biking.   Each of us has so many options in regard to what type of activity that we choose that there should be no one without an option..  unless of course the choice is none of them  

Question..  have you been active for most of your life ?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith

Message 14 of 33

Amish Walking

For those of you who are doing the 10k walking goal..  keep walking : )

Info Seeker

Message 15 of 33

Message 16 of 33

nyadrn wrote:

@Epster  Great story And thank you for sharing it.

The 10,000 steps a day walking goals and programs are followed by thousands of us! It is one of the most successful programs out there with thousands of us wearing our trackers and sharing our goals and progress through walking groups and online social media sites!

This program has been a huge success in getting people going. I love it and will continue to follow it along with other health related activities. ❤️

Once you you get to 10000 steps a day, you have committed to working out regularly in a way that fits your lifestyle.  Many do add more activities at that point because they are then able to.  But the regular monitored and shared counts are the foundation and it is a successful one. All those people wearing trackers could be sitting on the couch.  

@nyadrn Right. No quibble with the program's ability to get people started. Not one quibble.

But I didn't return to fitness until I started working out like a senior athlete (and then, amusingly enough, I became one! Smiley Happy)

It is not enough to walk 10,000 steps. You must exert yourself in order to gain muscle. You must change your diet in order to attain metabolic health.

And I must get my fanny out to the bike trail in order to burn off another 3,000 calories today! Smiley Happy  Woo hoo! See ya!

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving

Message 17 of 33

@Epster  Great story And thank you for sharing it.

The 10,000 steps a day walking goals and programs are followed by thousands of us! It is one of the most successful programs out there with thousands of us wearing our trackers and sharing our goals and progress through walking groups and online social media sites!

This program has been a huge success in getting people going. I love it and will continue to follow it along with other health related activities. ❤️

Once you you get to 10000 steps a day, you have committed to working out regularly in a way that fits your lifestyle.  Many do add more activities at that point because they are then able to.  But the regular monitored and shared counts are the foundation and it is a successful one. All those people wearing trackers could be sitting on the couch.  

Message 18 of 33

Yes, please keep taking those steps. But know that 10,000 steps a day (that's about 5 miles a day) had me looking like this:

Me 2 years ago: 10,000 no sweat steps a dayMe 2 years ago: 10,000 no sweat steps a dayI was 56 years old, had gained weight due to the perfect storm of menopause and a couple of years of debilitating leg and foot injuries. At this time I was walking 3.25 community miles every day, plus another 2 or 3 miles running our hillside farm AND taking 6-10 mile hikes or bike rides on weekends. While my vitals were perfect, my weight was way up, and my body fat was embarrassing. 

I wanted to get back into shape, but clearly the 5 miles a day (10,000 steps) were not working.  So, I switched up my exercise routine. I began walking 4.5 community miles at a heart-pounding pace, got a hula hoop, hand weights, an ab roller, a magic circle, a mini trampoline and a recumbent trike and slowly, built up to where all exercises combined, I was working out to the tune of 900 minutes a week. (That's an average over 2 hours a day, most of that on 4-5 hour weekend trike rides.)

Also importantly, I have, in this past year, changed my diet. My portions are reduced and I have reduced carbs while increasing the fruits and vegetables I eat.

And this is what I look like now:

Me: Black Friday 2017; working out to sweat every dayMe: Black Friday 2017; working out to sweat every dayI've lost 55 pounds since I started working out hard enough to sweat and to raise my heart rate. My vitals are still perfect, btw, but now my risk of developing heart disease, breast and other cancers, diabetes, et cetera, are greatly reduced as my waist now measures less than 30 inches. (The new fitness standard for women)

I'm not espousing opinion here, I'm telling you what I have experienced. I did this with the help and support of my DH, but otherwise did not follow any program or plan. I simply decided I didn't want to live in pain, that I wanted to remain prescription-free and as healthy as possible for as long as I possibly could. Smiley Happy

Here are a couple articles about 10,000 steps to consider:

Why 10,000 Steps A Day Won't Make You Thinhttps://health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/eat-run/2014/05/21/why-10-000-steps-a-day-wont-make-you-...

What Walking 10,000 Steps A Day Does And Doesn't Do For You (hint: it doesn't change your diet) https://www.inbodyusa.com/blogs/inbodyblog/99465793-what-walking-10-000-steps-does-and-doesn-t-do-fo...

Bottom line: yes, start moving! Get moving and keep moving. Make friends with sweat and don't let your diet undo all your good exercise work! Smiley Happy

I wish everyone embarking on a fitness program absolute joy and success! Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 33

j490036w wrote:

I  heard that 10,000 steps are enough so I set my fit bit for 10k and that's what I do every day but Sunday 

Hi @j490036w

How long have you been doing the 10,000 steps?  Have you noticed any change in your health? 

Info Seeker

Message 20 of 33

I  heard that 10,000 steps are enough so I set my fit bit for 10k and that's what I do every day but Sunday