Congress Agrees on a Tax Bill. What Does Proposed Tax Bill Mean for Older Americans? Learn More.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: How Many Steps per Day are Enough

Message 1 of 33

HammH wrote:

@Epster  You are fearless. I swear you have superhero genes.

@HammH  LOL!  You mean because I posted a pic of myself AFTER having consumed 3 glasses of eggnog and 1 whole pie in the previous 2 weeks? And that I'd not been lifting weights in like 8 weeks?

Meh: what's a little pride measured against a great opportunity to make a point about fitness?

(Yeah, I see that belly now I'm back to crunches and weights and cringe. But, whateves .... Smiley Happy)

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content

Message 2 of 33

wilful wrote:

Hey Epster - Is that gausy looking thing on your hat a mosquito net?  Wouldn't think you get many of them in Co.

Also - Big congrats on the  "good health" program and results.  Never forget - you have been, are, always will be - A work in progress. 

@wilful LOL!  I'm wearing one of those wrap-around visors. So my hair is pulled through the top. That gauze, then, is really just my bangs getting caught in the wind. Smiley Happy

But yeah, we get mosquitos here in the summer. We do carry nets for slipping over the head while hiking. Some summers are  b a d. Smiley Sad

And thanks. It's been a fun and weird journey, all this changing. I'm about 3 pounds away from an entirely new wardrobe: even my smallest sized attire is beginning to hang on me.  The best part: I feel like a 20-something. I sleep great, have a ton of energy, and no body parts complain when I move. And of course my vitals continue to be excellent. So yay! Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Regular Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 33

Hey Epster - Is that gausy looking thing on your hat a mosquito net?  Wouldn't think you get many of them in Co.

Also - Big congrats on the  "good health" program and results.  Never forget - you have been, are, always will be - A work in progress. 

Message 4 of 33

How Many Calories Does Walking Burn per Mile?
See how many calories you can burn walking different distances and speeds

WIN-Initiative/Getty Images
By Wendy Bumgardner
Updated August 31, 2017
Do you want to know how many calories you burn walking one mile, two miles, or more? How much does your walking speed matter?

Your weight and the distance you walk are the biggest factors in how many calories you burn while walking. A rule of thumb is that about 100 calories per mile are burned for an 180-pound person and 65 calories per mile are burned for a 120-pound person. Your walking speed matters less.

Calories Burned Walking 2.5 to 3.5 mph by Miles and Weight
Pace: 17 to 24 Minutes per Mile (10 to14 Minutes per Kilometer)
Weight (lbs)

Chart at link.  https://www.verywell.com/walking-calories-burned-by-miles-3887154?utm_campaign=fitsl&utm_medium=emai...

If you use a Fitbit or other tracker you may see this information as you go.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith

Message 5 of 33

@ReTiReD51  One of the great things about walking is that it is free. No membership, no special equipment. Just start walking. Smiley Happy

Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 33

If you’re able walking is a perfect exercise because you can do it anywhere.

@nyadrnsuggests set your own goal only you know “what motivates” you. Remember any number of steps walking is better than none.

@Epster “Healthy eating plus exercise remains the key to good health” 

Good advice by both ladies. 

Message 7 of 33

How to Keep Track of Your Steps
by Lisa M. Wolfe

Walking your dog is a fun way to increase your daily steps.
If you need motivation to get off the couch, try keeping track of your daily steps. The American Council on Exercise reveals a link between increased body fat percentages and time spent sitting. One way to keep your body fat within healthy limits is to develop an active lifestyle. Simply increasing the amount of steps you take in a day will improve your health. The International Council on Active Aging recommends 6,000 steps a day for general health and 10,000 steps a day for weight loss. Those numbers are too high to count each individual step, so use a pedometer or an average-step calculation to track your progress.

https://healthyliving.azcentral.com/keep-track-steps-5779.html

Message 8 of 33

jamesf213534 wrote:

Retired martial arts instructor and kickboxer. Too many broken bones to continue so I kicked up my biking pace and rollerskate at least three sessions weekly. Nothing matches the running though, especially off-road up and down hills (deep ditches). Make sure you protect muscle mass by lifting weights...or else! Us older folk lose muscle fast while dieting so be careful.

Good for you!

Everyone is different and works out in ways that best achieve the goals that they have.  The single most important factor inho in working out regularly is enjoying what you are doing.  If we find something we enjoy we are more likely to continue doing it.  Looks like you found yours. Thanks for sharing : )

Gold Conversationalist

Message 9 of 33

Epster wrote:

Yes, please keep taking those steps. But know that 10,000 steps a day (that's about 5 miles a day) had me looking like this:

I was 56 years old, had gained weight due to the perfect storm of menopause and a couple of years of debilitating leg and foot injuries. At this time I was walking 3.25 community miles every day, plus another 2 or 3 miles running our hillside farm AND taking 6-10 mile hikes or bike rides on weekends. While my vitals were perfect, my weight was way up, and my body fat was embarrassing. 

I wanted to get back into shape, but clearly the 5 miles a day (10,000 steps) were not working.  So, I switched up my exercise routine. I began walking 4.5 community miles at a heart-pounding pace, got a hula hoop, hand weights, an ab roller, a magic circle, a mini trampoline and a recumbent trike and slowly, built up to where all exercises combined, I was working out to the tune of 900 minutes a week. (That's an average over 2 hours a day, most of that on 4-5 hour weekend trike rides.)

Also importantly, I have, in this past year, changed my diet. My portions are reduced and I have reduced carbs while increasing the fruits and vegetables I eat.

And this is what I look like now:

I've lost 55 pounds since I started working out hard enough to sweat and to raise my heart rate. My vitals are still perfect, btw, but now my risk of developing heart disease, breast and other cancers, diabetes, et cetera, are greatly reduced as my waist now measures less than 30 inches. (The new fitness standard for women)

I'm not espousing opinion here, I'm telling you what I have experienced. I did this with the help and support of my DH, but otherwise did not follow any program or plan. I simply decided I didn't want to live in pain, that I wanted to remain prescription-free and as healthy as possible for as long as I possibly could. Smiley Happy

@Epster  You are fearless. I swear you have superhero genes.

Message 10 of 33

jamesf213534 wrote:

Make sure you protect muscle mass by lifting weights...or else! Us older folk lose muscle fast while dieting so be careful.

@jamesf213534  Agreeing with you again. I like to say 'Use it or lose it.' Smiley Happy