Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Honored Social Butterfly

How Many Steps per Day are Enough

How Many Steps per Day Are Enough?
What should you set as your pedometer goal?  

By Wendy Bumgardner | Reviewed by a board-certified physician
Updated June 20, 2017
Is 10,000 steps per day the right number to set as the daily target on your pedometer? You may wonder where that number came from and whether it is a good goal for most people. Does it really indicate that you are getting enough exercise for fitness, enough to reduce health risks and support weight loss?

Why Is 10,000 Steps the Magic Number?
A goal of 10,000 steps per day was created as a promotion by a pedometer company in Japan in the 1960s and it became popular as it was adopted by walking clubs.

It wasn't based on research. It just sounded good.

Once the goal of 10,000 steps per day was established, researchers played catch-up and found it was a good indicator you were getting somewhere near the recommended amount of physical activity during that day to reduce health risks. Now many activity monitors and pedometer apps use it as a standard goal.

Are 10,000 Steps Enough or Too Much?
Many of the more sophisticated pedometers and activity trackers also measure whether the steps you take are brisk enough to meet the standard of moderate to vigorous intensity physical activity. They include a daily goal of 30 minutes of this enhanced level of activity, as recommended to reduce health risks. If 3,000 of the steps you take each day are at a pace of 100 per minute for at least 10 minutes, you will meet this goal.

Even a small increase in steps per day above being inactive can make a difference in health.

https://www.verywell.com/how-many-pedometer-steps-per-day-are-enough-3432827

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Replies
Honored Social Butterfly

leslye1949 wrote:

I have always been told 10,000 steps, however I set my vivofit for 12,000 steps.  I rarely get there since I retired.  Most days I walk for 30-45 minutes, and I eat really healthy food.  Having said that, I am overweight, and slowly losing pounds.  Exercise and diet go hand in hand.  My problem is portions.  I love food, so cutting down on portions and eating five times a day instead of three helps me lose weight as long as I keep walking.

@leslye1949  Good for you going for the 12k.  I agree that it may be harder to do 10k easily when you are not working.  I have been off for some weeks and saw the difference between the activity level you take for granted vs what you need to do when your routine is different.  

Thanks for sharing.  Do you do your walking at one time or broken up?

Honored Social Butterfly

@leslye1949 wrote:

I have always been told 10,000 steps, however I set my vivofit for 12,000 steps.  I rarely get there since I retired.  Most days I walk for 30-45 minutes, and I eat really healthy food.  Having said that, I am overweight, and slowly losing pounds.  Exercise and diet go hand in hand.  My problem is portions.  I love food, so cutting down on portions and eating five times a day instead of three helps me lose weight as long as I keep walking.

@leslye1949  Good for you! Keep it up and you'll get there. We find that using smaller dishes really helps with portions. 🙂

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Contributor

My girl gets in face everymorning for her walk. We normalley do 2 miles in just under 1/2 hour.

Honored Social Butterfly

@r18266v wrote:

My girl gets in face everymorning for her walk. We normalley do 2 miles in just under 1/2 hour.

Hi and welcome...  is your girl your doggie?  Sounds like a good walking companion!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Just pointng out that a person can walk 1, 2, 3, 4 or whatever miles per day, sit the rest of the day eating junk food and still be unhealthy.

For years we've seen 3 local gents out walking or biking nearly every time we leave the property. They each have a gargantuan belly. Like the size of two basketballs! This is not healthy. No matter how far they walk, or how many steps they take, that gut is unhealthy and is almost certainly kiling them.

So yes, do start somewhere. But don't think health will be found in counting steps. Health will be found in sweating until you build muscle, eating right every day and maintaiing a healthy weight. (which for women means a waist measurement of 30 inches or smaller)

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Honored Social Butterfly

@Epster wrote:

So yes, do start somewhere. But don't think health will be found in counting steps. Health will be found in sweating until you build muscle, eating right every day and maintaiing a healthy weight. (which for women means a waist measurement of 30 inches or smaller)

>>

Thanks for your opinion but I will continue to count my steps.  Smiley Wink

Honored Social Butterfly

@nyadrn wrote:

@Epster wrote:

Thanks for your opinion but I will continue to count my steps.  Smiley Wink

@nyadrn  Not, as it happens, my personal, original, opinion. This is the often published opinion of health researchers and doctors. But, certainly, do what you want. 🙂

Contributor

I decided once I hit 80 years of age, 7000 steps a day was enough but sometimes I just happen to hit 10,000. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@annles12 wrote:

I decided once I hit 80 years of age, 7000 steps a day was enough but sometimes I just happen to hit 10,000. 

Wow @annles12  that's great!  How long have you been counting steps? and what do you use sto count them?

Honored Social Butterfly

BTW one of those gents walks over 10 miles a day, rain or shine. I cannot imagine what he eats to maintain that bulbous belly of his, but I can tell you it is not healthy!

He's been walking like that for over 10 years. And it does not appear he has lost a single pound.

Healthy eating plus exercise remains the key to good health.

Best wishes to anyone seeking to improve their health through walking! Just remember to make diet adjustments so you'll achieve success! 🙂

Honored Social Butterfly

Do you find yourself saying ...  I don't care what they say.  ?  

Only you know what will motivate you. What you will do and what you won't. 

I like working towards a goal.  10k a day works for me   I like the 250 steps per hour motivator for regular activity.  

if you don't do you have an alternative walking goal?  

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakout® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP