ACA Open Enrollment Ends Dec. 15. Review Your Options Before Being Locked in for 2018. Read More

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: How Fast You Walk As You Age May Predict Lifespan

Message 51 of 52

I have walked all of my life and I don't think I am going to bother discussing this with my doctor.  I keep walking because I like it and I want to be able to get around and see things on my travels. I am going to NYC in Dec and I want to get out and see the sites!!

The easiest way to see how you are doing is to get out there and walk and see how you do.  How far can you go and how long does it take you.  

The other main factor is desire.  Someone told me a long time ago that what you are doing every day is what you want to do (barring limitations of course). If you are not walking and you have no reason that you cannot, then you do not want to.  Only you can get yourself motivated and going!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Report Inappropriate Content
Treasured Social Butterfly

How Fast You Walk As You Age May Predict Lifespan

Message 52 of 52

How Fast You Walk As You Age May Predict Your Lifespan
Natural Gait Speed Test Indicates Your Remaining Years

By Wendy Bumgardner | Reviewed by Richard N. Fogoros, MD
Updated September 26, 2017

Are you proud that you can keep up with your grandkids when walking? If so, that's a good indication that you have many years still ahead of you. Studies show that past age 65, your walking speed at your natural pace is a surprisingly reliable predictor of survival. Measuring gait speed over a short distance, such as across a room (13 feet or 4 meters) is a useful tool for doctors to set appropriate treatment and care goals for aging individuals.

https://www.verywell.com/how-fast-you-walk-may-predict-your-lifespan-4150312

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Report Inappropriate Content