ACA Open Enrollment Ends Dec. 15. Review Your Options Before Being Locked in for 2018. Read More

Bronze Conversationalist

Re: How Fast You Walk As You Age May Predict Lifespan

Message 41 of 52

I have lung disease myself and during the summer i would walk 11 miles a day and here in the Pacific Northwest it's a bit wet so i do walking videos, bodyweight exercises, get on a rower or the stepper and have strength bands i use as well. And due to back issues i have to be aware of thar as well now too. I think it's fantastic to get out and walk 7 miles and i do really love walking very much. Congrats and keep up the excellent work!!! 

Report Inappropriate Content
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 42 of 52

I love walking and I can give that credit to my Dad, who already has passed.  He gave me the love for the outdoors.  We used to go on long walks, slow or fast but to enjoy the beauty of the scenery around you.  He always told me - listen - the forest and creatures are trying to tell you something, whether your in a park, meadow, or just walking around your neighborhood.  Breathe in and out and listen.  I never really liked running because the world passes you by and you might miss something, so we would hike in forests, valleys,meadows, anywhere, it was a true blessing.  My brothers loved it too but as they got older, they loved the ocean, it called to them, they became surfers.  The ocean is alive they told me and told me to listen and yes, I loved it too! So, swim if you can in the ocean, it has marvels!

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 43 of 52

pb6600 wrote:

I walk 7 miles sometimes.  Due to lung disease, I need to slow down in order to breathe. I am still getting exercise.

Hi @pb6600  and welcome to the online community!

Good for you for walking that distance! Yes: listen to your body and do what is best for you. We all have different situations, therefore what is possible is going to be different for each of us. 

Best wishes,

Epster

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Info Seeker

Message 44 of 52

I walk 7 miles sometimes.  Due to lung disease, I need to slow down in order to breathe. I am still getting exercise.

Message 45 of 52

I'm not 65, so I guess this doesn't apply to me, but I regularly walk 4.85 hilly miles in an hour ten. (that's over 4 mph, but I have a 32 inch inseam, so take that into account) 

Unsurprisingly, due to age and the above statistic, at the South Dakota Senior Games my walking speed was tested; turns out that I walk faster than 90% of the senior athletes on record. (They were conducting a bunch of tests aimed at measuring healthfulness of senior athletes vesus the general senior population.) 

The reason I mention this is the same reason I mention any fact about my health, and that is to illustrate what is possible. I think it is possible to live better while maintaining a healthy weight (as previous posters to this thread will attest); I think it is possible to stave off lifestyle diseases and conditions for decades via senior athlete-style exercise (I'm in the midst of trying to prove this one Smiley Happy); I think it is possible to take charge of and master our own health. And all of this can start with the simple act of walking hard enough to raise your heart rate each and every day.

I have fit and unfit friends. The fit ones are the ones grabbing life by the short hairs and discovering exactly how good they can feel, and how much living they can accomplish even at age 65, 70 and 80. The unfit ones are the ones I've been visiting in the hospital these past few weeks. Smiley Sad

Moral to the story: yes: walk as if your life depends upon it. It very well may. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving

Message 46 of 52

@nyadrn - I figured I was average, until a college buddy said that in walking ~ 1 miles around his neighborhood (flat), he got out of breath quickly, and had to sit down. So I guess I'm above average for 65!

It's always such a pain having to get back into the grove, after an injury or medical procedure!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!

Message 47 of 52

ASTRAEA wrote:

I walk an 18 minute mile, without getting out of breath; that's about 3.3 mph. But I also walk hills, which makes it a little more strenuous (and good exercise). If I were walking on the boardwalk, I'd be doing 3.5 mph+.

Shouldn't tests like these also incorporate stamina? How fast you walk from one end of your house to another, isn't the same as whether you can walk 2+ miles, or how fast you could do that.

@ASTRAEA  Probably they should  That or give the base line measurement of difficulty.  All of these articles contain lots of variables  I wonder what the average would be for everyone over say 65?

Ps 

good for you.  I have to rebuild my stamina and strength after my opps this year. 

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith

Message 48 of 52

I walk an 18 minute mile, without getting out of breath; that's about 3.3 mph. But I also walk hills, which makes it a little more strenuous (and good exercise). If I were walking on the boardwalk, I'd be doing 3.5 mph+.

Shouldn't tests like these also incorporate stamina? How fast you walk from one end of your house to another, isn't the same as whether you can walk 2+ miles, or how fast you could do that.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!

Message 49 of 52

e758088v wrote:

Hello walkers,

>>

There are very inexpensive ones or expensive ones. Mine is called a Digi-walker. I think it might have been around 20 - 30. Very simple to set.

Hope this is helpful to you walkers out there. Start with a goal of 1000 steps, there is no such thing as to little or to much. Do what feels good to YOU

Liz

Hi Liz. Thank you for your comments!   I use a Fitbit for the same reason that you do and keep track of my steps.   Congratulations on continuing to get your regular exercise!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Info Seeker

Message 50 of 52

Hello walkers,

I have a fun solution to walking. I have a step counter I wear everyday all day from waking to going to bed. It records every step I take. There is an old saying from the Chinese that says 10,000 steps a day keeps you healthy. When I was a nanny about 15 years ago I got 10,000 very often, now I am 65 and my average is between 6000 & 7000. I have gotten 10,000 a few times.

Every morning I write the number on my day planner and I can look back each week and see my average. It keeps me motivated to walk more so I can reach the 10,000 and just to see how much I walk each week.

There are very inexpensive ones or expensive ones. Mine is called a Digi-walker. I think it might have been around 20 - 30. Very simple to set.

Hope this is helpful to you walkers out there. Start with a goal of 1000 steps, there is no such thing as to little or to much. Do what feels good to YOU

Liz