ACA Open Enrollment Ends Dec. 15. Review Your Options Before Being Locked in for 2018. Read More

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: How Fast You Walk As You Age May Predict Lifespan

Message 31 of 52

SAHDad wrote:

Sorry about such a long response earlier, just love the topic!!  I like the concept of eco doctors and if you decide to look let meknow what you think, sounds very interesting to learn about!! My wife's old doctor is overweight and so ismy wife ... due to work and fulltime school for a paralegal degree, but she wants to get rid of the weight and this is something i will mention to the doctor, but er old doc never recommended exercise and to this day i can't understand why. Thanks for the kindness in your words. 

@SAHDad  Thank you!  Glad you like the topic!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Report Inappropriate Content

Message 32 of 52

cn8777 wrote:

I love walking and I can give that credit to my Dad, who already has passed.  He gave me the love for the outdoors.  We used to go on long walks, slow or fast but to enjoy the beauty of the scenery around you.  He always told me - listen - the forest and creatures are trying to tell you something, whether your in a park, meadow, or just walking around your neighborhood.  Breathe in and out and listen.  >>

@cn8777   Thank you for sharing your story.  My dad was a walker as well.  Partly because he enjoyed it and partly because it was economical!  My sisters and brothers walked with him when he went off to the store, on errands and just regular walks.   I remember all of us walking to get the 🎄. We lived in the city so it wasn’t as hard as it could have been. 

I miss my dad every day and think of him often when I walk. ❤️

Message 33 of 52

pb6600 wrote:

I walk 7 miles sometimes.  Due to lung disease, I need to slow down in order to breathe. I am still getting exercise.

@pb6600  Good for you!  Thank you for sharing!   Do you walk alone?

And how do you track your steps?

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 34 of 52

Sorry about such a long response earlier, just love the topic!!  I like the concept of eco doctors and if you decide to look let meknow what you think, sounds very interesting to learn about!! My wife's old doctor is overweight and so ismy wife ... due to work and fulltime school for a paralegal degree, but she wants to get rid of the weight and this is something i will mention to the doctor, but er old doc never recommended exercise and to this day i can't understand why. Thanks for the kindness in your words. 

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 35 of 52

Well done jthorses!!! I am impressed that you run, notbecause of age but if i run my back will keep me down for 2 or 3 weeks. I think it's great that you're active and do what you do, it's all about moving and not sitting still and at 70 or 80 i hope to be able to keep on moving doing what i love to do!! Keep well and keep safe!! 

Message 36 of 52

jthorses wrote:

I walk about a mile to 2 miles 7 days a week and a couple of days jog about 2 to 3 miles. I also ride my horse and do all the maintenance that goes into owning horses. I used to be an avid runner and then quit many years ago due to time constraints, but have always remained active and walk very briskly. I am 72 now and recently ran a 5k race in 36 minutes. ( I used to be much faster, but I thank the Lord every day that I am still able to do the things I love) 

@jthorses  What a perfectly lovely attitude. And that 5K time is pretty darned good! Keep it up! Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving

Message 37 of 52

SAHDad wrote:

Epster, i first off must say thank you for the Kudos and the kind words you have spoken!! You are a kind soul and this world needs more people like yourself in it, especially in the world we live in today. I had to get creative in my fitness plan do to a bad doctor i had and my body doesn't fight off the pneumonia virus anymore but i will never ask for sympathy or be defeated, it all began because of a bad doctor i had but i have great doctors now, although i'm not feeling 100% today, and i'm only 51 but i think more people and their doctors need to advise patients of the value of exercise even the most basic is better than nothing!!

@SAHDad  Smiley Happy

Yes, doctors do need to push patients to exercise. It would change their lives.

A friend was just telling me about what he called 'eco-doctors'; these being doctors that prescribe exercise to patients before meds. The example was his overweight sister. Her doctor told her to go outside for 30 minutes every day. To walk, to pull weeds, feed the livestock, something besides sitting. And after a time he changed the prescription to walking a mile and a half a day. I gather the plan is to keep upping her 'eco' prescription.

Apparently there is an interstate eco-doctor coalition. I guess a person could find them online (I have not looked yet). Smiley Happy  I think this is a step in the right direction. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Conversationalist

Message 38 of 52

I walk about a mile to 2 miles 7 days a week and a couple of days jog about 2 to 3 miles. I also ride my horse and do all the maintenance that goes into owning horses. I used to be an avid runner and then quit many years ago due to time constraints, but have always remained active and walk very briskly. I am 72 now and recently ran a 5k race in 36 minutes. ( I used to be much faster, but I thank the Lord every day that I am still able to do the things I love) 

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 39 of 52

Epster, i first off must say thank you for the Kudos and the kind words you have spoken!! You are a kind soul and this world needs more people like yourself in it, especially in the world we live in today. I had to get creative in my fitness plan do to a bad doctor i had and my body doesn't fight off the pneumonia virus anymore but i will never ask for sympathy or be defeated, it all began because of a bad doctor i had but i have great doctors now, although i'm not feeling 100% today, and i'm only 51 but i think more people and their doctors need to advise patients of the value of exercise even the most basic is better than nothing!!

Message 40 of 52

SAHDad wrote:

I have lung disease myself and during the summer i would walk 11 miles a day and here in the Pacific Northwest it's a bit wet so i do walking videos, bodyweight exercises, get on a rower or the stepper and have strength bands i use as well. And due to back issues i have to be aware of thar as well now too. I think it's fantastic to get out and walk 7 miles and i do really love walking very much. Congrats and keep up the excellent work!!! 

@SAHDad  I think your dedication to fitness is fantastic. Smiley Happy You set an awesome example of how not to let weather and personal issues get you down!