ACA Open Enrollment Ends Dec. 15. Review Your Options Before Being Locked in for 2018. Read More

Social Butterfly

Re: How Fast You Walk As You Age May Predict Lifespan

Message 21 of 52

I've read articles from the Government's National Institutes of Health, WebMD and other reputable sources, that walking gait does predict longevity.  However, I also think that just the fact that a person does get out and walk regularly will positively affect longetivy, as opposed to the "couch potato". 

I ran almost every day for about 30 years - 55 miles a week with my "long" 16 mile run every Sunday.  Now in my 36th year of running, my run has turned into a several times a week walk and run.  My husband, also a runner, and I go out for our walk/run and stop to pick up recyclables from the sides of the road, so there's a lot of walking, bending, etc.  On the way back I have certain markers that I run to, like the beer barrel where people toss aluminum cans (recyclables, to me), and then the two orange trees about 1/4 mile down the road, etc.  So I might not keep a steady pace, but I think that the walking, running, bending to pick up cans, etc., all help to keep me in good shape at age 78, and might contribute to my longevity.  Oh, and my fastest half marathon was only 9 minute miles, so I was never fast, but I believe there's truth in that old saying "slow and steady wins the race". 

Even if my slower pace doesn't help me to live longer, I'm having a great time along the way!!

Report Inappropriate Content
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 22 of 52

You know if i changed my shoes like i should it wouldbe every couple months, but i'll wear mine till they fall apart, which is bad but by then they are very comfortable. 

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 23 of 52

I like to walk alone with my thoughts but i also like walking with nice people and that seems to be so hard to find anymore. I did the same thing with my fit bit and just never bought a new one which i plan to do asap. When it comes to walking i just do what my body feels like that day but i like slow and faster walking, it just depends on my mood on that particular day. I can't keep up with the younger ones anymore.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 24 of 52

SAHDad wrote:

I walk alone myself and i also use my phone with the LG health app and works great. I would do 11 miles in about 3 to 3.5 hours because of some folks i met would stop and talk. By the end of the day i would have almost 30,000 steps, and the most i ad was about 48,000.

@SAHDad  that is alot of walking .. much more than I do.  How often do you have to change walking shoes?  : )

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith

Message 25 of 52

pb6600 wrote:

Yes I walk alone.  I track mileage on my phone.

@pb6600  I am also a solo walker..  I like to keep my own pace etc  but of course  I also walk with others on vacations etc.   I love my fitbit.  I wore out the first one.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 26 of 52

I love to learn what others do for fitness and also that i'm tired of our youth obsessed society and what only works for them.,

Gary 

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 27 of 52

I walk alone myself and i also use my phone with the LG health app and works great. I would do 11 miles in about 3 to 3.5 hours because of some folks i met would stop and talk. By the end of the day i would have almost 30,000 steps, and the most i ad was about 48,000.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 28 of 52

Epster, you are a kind soul!! And again thank you for all your kind words, i really do appreciate that and i do remember the kind ones. As of now unfortuneately we are both getting this thing going around nd trying to stay as well as possible and i will pas on your sentiments to my wife. Stay well and be active.

Info Seeker

Message 29 of 52

Yes I walk alone.  I track mileage on my phone.

Message 30 of 52

SAHDad wrote:

Sorry about such a long response earlier, just love the topic!!  I like the concept of eco doctors and if you decide to look let meknow what you think, sounds very interesting to learn about!! My wife's old doctor is overweight and so ismy wife ... due to work and fulltime school for a paralegal degree, but she wants to get rid of the weight and this is something i will mention to the doctor, but er old doc never recommended exercise and to this day i can't understand why. Thanks for the kindness in your words. 

@SAHDad  Please. Your response was kind and thoughtful. We should clone you. Smiley Happy

Yes, do mention that to the doctor. A few years ago, when I decided I was ready to take off the 50 pounds I'd put recently put on, I switched doctors. My former doctor, a woman, is about 70 pounds overweight herself. She always told me what good shape I was in, and used my perfect vitals to suggest that I need not worry about the extra weight. I found a long distance runner who also happens to be a doctor. Smiley Happy

He didn't prescribe walking like those doctors we talked about, but just knowing that he knew I was a mess helped me turn the corner. Smiley Happy

I wish your wife every success. 

Be well.

Epster

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving