ACA Open Enrollment Ends Dec. 15. Review Your Options Before Being Locked in for 2018. Read More

Bronze Conversationalist

Re: How Fast You Walk As You Age May Predict Lifespan

Message 11 of 52

ip3285,

It is so true that most of them don't seem to realize that people have lives and not 8 hours a day to dedicate solely to exercise and as i've gotten oldermost routines are or seem to be more for the younger generation. Yes any time you are active is what really counts, not just what you do. I still have a 14 year old son at home and unfortuneately he is like the young people today and doesn't like to go out and be active, no matter what i try. I figure he'll learn the hardway and realize i was doing my best to help him. I would like to try the trampoline at some point, i heard it's really fun. I also have my 2 russian tortoises, 3 bearded dragons, and 6 iguanas to take care of. With exercising and working around my house i keep busy, except now because i have a cold and trying to take care of that. Keep active and be well!! 

Report Inappropriate Content
Social Butterfly

Message 12 of 52
Mini-trampoline followed by weight training sounds like a great workout. Anytime we work our muscles in a way we don't use them routinely will tone them, plus keep us from getting bored with doing the "same old" thing. On the days that my 'only' exercise is shoveling out the chicken coup and cleaning the goat enclosure, I still feel like I've exercised. I work my muscles, get my heart rate up a bit, and "socialize" (with my chickens and goats). It might not be "exercise" as defined in the exercise manuals, but it works for me. Funny, but sometimes I think those people who write exercise manuals never set foot away from their computers, yet they claim to be experts on exercise.
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 13 of 52

Wow!! I must commend you on such a active life you'e living and lived! I hope to be as active as you for as long as i possibly can. I do not think you have to be fast at all to be healthy, just keep on moving and i believe slow and steady does in the race!! I had friends who always had to prove themselves by out lifting each other and ended up with bad knees and such and i always went with body weight exercises because i wanted to think of the repercussions heavy lifting would do to your body and si i veered away from weights and do bodyweight only workouts. And as you said have fun oing it. 

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 14 of 52

Hello ip3285,

That was very well said and so very true. Words of the wise for sure!! Smiley Very Happy

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 15 of 52

ip3285 wrote:
I think that in the absence of severe physical disability, it's the brain that's the root of our walking. If the brain doesn't say "GO", then the person doesn't walk, the muscles fall into decay, and eventually the rest of the body, including the mind, will follow suit. Our reward for walking or other forms of exercise, also comes from the brain when it sees its body staying in shape. It goes full circle. Brain says "GO", body obeys, body stays limber and strong, and brain is happy, making a happy, healthy person no matter what their walking gait. Okay, everyone - out the door!

@ip3285 Totally agree with you.

May I get in a 45 minute (intense) mini-trampoline session followed by resistance and weight training instead?  Headed in that direction in one moment (soon a the salad I had for lunch settles). My workout today will help tone my core, boost my immune system and will burn around 850 calories. Plus it's great fun! Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Social Butterfly

Message 16 of 52
I think that in the absence of severe physical disability, it's the brain that's the root of our walking. If the brain doesn't say "GO", then the person doesn't walk, the muscles fall into decay, and eventually the rest of the body, including the mind, will follow suit. Our reward for walking or other forms of exercise, also comes from the brain when it sees its body staying in shape. It goes full circle. Brain says "GO", body obeys, body stays limber and strong, and brain is happy, making a happy, healthy person no matter what their walking gait. Okay, everyone - out the door!

Message 17 of 52

LaDolceVita wrote:

Enjoyed all the walking stories here!   I have always enjoyed walking and now I walk mostly because of the layout of my house and land. Two story house with a basement and I have to visit all levels often.   The garden area is on a separate hill and the mailbox is quite a trek downhill.  If I get a cold or flu I am really in trouble!  

I have noticed that I am climbing the stairs slower than I used to.  And I do not like to stand still.  The walking part is going well though.

Hi.  We haven’t talked in a while. Nice to hear from you. Glad you are still moving 😀.  Stairs are always a pain lol but the fact that you can still do them means you are still in shape.  

I am getting ready for our annual trip to NYC and I know I will getting lots of walking miles in. LOL. Glad I can still do it ! Ha

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Respected Social Butterfly

Message 18 of 52

Enjoyed all the walking stories here!   I have always enjoyed walking and now I walk mostly because of the layout of my house and land. Two story house with a basement and I have to visit all levels often.   The garden area is on a separate hill and the mailbox is quite a trek downhill.  If I get a cold or flu I am really in trouble!  

I have noticed that I am climbing the stairs slower than I used to.  And I do not like to stand still.  The walking part is going well though.

Ad terminum vitae meae nōn venī.

Message 19 of 52

ip3285 wrote:

I've read articles from the Government's National Institutes of Health, WebMD and other reputable sources, that walking gait does predict longevity.  However, I also think that just the fact that a person does get out and walk regularly will positively affect longetivy, as opposed to the "couch potato". 

I ran almost every day for about 30 years - 55 miles a week with my "long" 16 mile run every Sunday.  Now in my 36th year of running, my run has turned into a several times a week walk and run.  My husband, also a runner, and I go out for our walk/run and stop to pick up recyclables from the sides of the road, so there's a lot of walking, bending, etc.  On the way back I have certain markers that I run to, like the beer barrel where people toss aluminum cans (recyclables, to me), and then the two orange trees about 1/4 mile down the road, etc.  So I might not keep a steady pace, but I think that the walking, running, bending to pick up cans, etc., all help to keep me in good shape at age 78, and might contribute to my longevity.  Oh, and my fastest half marathon was only 9 minute miles, so I was never fast, but I believe there's truth in that old saying "slow and steady wins the race". 

Even if my slower pace doesn't help me to live longer, I'm having a great time along the way!!

@ip3285 , @SAHDad & @nyadrn,

I think you are all doing well. Kudos to you all! Keep up the excellent work! Smiley Happy

I think the point of this 'measurement' of longevity based on speed of mobility has less to do with the actual moving average and more to do with the fact that a person does move regularly and can move at a good clip. I think it's just a way to guestimate how fit a body is. (I'm not unaware that the thesis is based upon a study that shows faster walkers live longer. I'm saying that while those are the findings, in terms of the application, I think we are really separating out the more fit from the less fit.)

I bet we can all think of people who shuffle along, barely picking up their feet or the person who takes about 3 minutes to descend 8 steps. That kind of walking (or mobility if you prefer) suggests that the person's body lacks muscle. I think the measurement is really getting at fitness level. So it's the same old thing: move it to maintain muscle; maintain muscle or lose it. Smiley Happy

Thanks for an interesting discussion. Good stuff. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving

Message 20 of 52

ip3285 wrote:

I've read articles from the Government's National Institutes of Health, WebMD and other reputable sources, that walking gait does predict longevity.  However, I also think that just the fact that a person does get out and walk regularly will positively affect longetivy, as opposed to the "couch potato". 

I ran almost every day for about 30 years - 55 miles a week with my "long" 16 mile run every Sunday.  Now in my 36th year of running, my run has turned into a several times a week walk and run.  My husband, also a runner, and I go out for our walk/run and stop to pick up recyclables from the sides of the road, so there's a lot of walking, bending, etc.  On the way back I have certain markers that I run to, like the beer barrel where people toss aluminum cans (recyclables, to me), and then the two orange trees about 1/4 mile down the road, etc.  So I might not keep a steady pace, but I think that the walking, running, bending to pick up cans, etc., all help to keep me in good shape at age 78, and might contribute to my longevity.  Oh, and my fastest half marathon was only 9 minute miles, so I was never fast, but I believe there's truth in that old saying "slow and steady wins the race". 

Even if my slower pace doesn't help me to live longer, I'm having a great time along the way!!

Wow. @ip3285   You go!!   I think you have already won the race!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith