Watch Tonight for Tips to Save Money on Pricey Prescription Drugs at 10 p.m. ET on AARP LIVE! Watch Here

Info Seeker

Re: How Fast You Walk As You Age May Predict Lifespan

Message 1 of 77

I'm 67 & keep in excellent condition. I walk very fast on trails, not near streets where drivers are distaracted by thier cell phones. I ride my bicycle 2 1/2 hrs. like a wind sprint. I'm an expert snow skier. I do streaches every morning. I agree that walking fast or slow makes no difference whether someone doesn't look in both directions when crossing a street. They are either being just plain stupid or are also distracted by thier cell phones. Keep in great condition & you'lll feel great & have less pain. It's your life! Do you want to spend the last years of your life sitting in a wheelchair at a nursing home? And be careful!

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 2 of 77
good post, thanks for the information
Info Seeker

Message 3 of 77

You must still be young...enjoy it while you can. Your body will let you know when its time to stretch longer, hopefully before you start getting shin splints. They are excruciating!

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 77

I began getting shin splints 20 years ago. Even now they come back any time I'm in a hurry, putting me on the sidelines. I used to walk up and down a hill 3 - 4 times a week but cannot do so anymore, stretching or no stretching - the shin splints come right back in 1 or both legs.

The moral of this story is make sure you never get them in the 1st place - stretch regularly!

Gold Conversationalist

Message 5 of 77

For me personally, My Parents didn't invest in my Life.

I  can understand what you are saying, But there has been plenty of times when I had the right of way and the individual driver didn't not yield the Right Of Way.

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 77
Not what you believe, but the fact people are dumb enough, fast or slow walkers, just go right out into the street without looking first.
Info Seeker

Message 7 of 77
Agree completely and this is the reason I don’t often come to this part of AARP.
Info Seeker

Message 8 of 77

Too funny, seriously though, how dumb do you have to be to just walk into the street without looking both ways first?  One of the most important rules of living our parents teach us. Gosh, a serious pet peeve of mine!...

Gold Conversationalist

Message 9 of 77

What is so Dumb about what I believe.

Info Seeker

Message 10 of 77

That's dumber than dirt.