The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: How Fast You Walk As You Age May Predict Lifespan

[ Edited ]
Message 1 of 8 (149 Views)

I'm not 65, so I guess this doesn't apply to me, but I regularly walk 4.85 hilly miles in an hour ten. (that's over 4 mph, but I have a 32 inch inseam, so take that into account) 

Unsurprisingly, due to age and the above statistic, at the South Dakota Senior Games my walking speed was tested; turns out that I walk faster than 90% of the senior athletes on record. (They were conducting a bunch of tests aimed at measuring healthfulness of senior athletes vesus the general senior population.) 

The reason I mention this is the same reason I mention any fact about my health, and that is to illustrate what is possible. I think it is possible to live better while maintaining a healthy weight (as previous posters to this thread will attest); I think it is possible to stave off lifestyle diseases and conditions for decades via senior athlete-style exercise (I'm in the midst of trying to prove this one Smiley Happy); I think it is possible to take charge of and master our own health. And all of this can start with the simple act of walking hard enough to raise your heart rate each and every day.

I have fit and unfit friends. The fit ones are the ones grabbing life by the short hairs and discovering exactly how good they can feel, and how much living they can accomplish even at age 65, 70 and 80. The unfit ones are the ones I've been visiting in the hospital these past few weeks. Smiley Sad

Moral to the story: yes: walk as if your life depends upon it. It very well may. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving

Message 2 of 8 (194 Views)

@nyadrn - I figured I was average, until a college buddy said that in walking ~ 1 miles around his neighborhood (flat), he got out of breath quickly, and had to sit down. So I guess I'm above average for 65!

It's always such a pain having to get back into the grove, after an injury or medical procedure!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!

[ Edited ]
Message 3 of 8 (199 Views)

ASTRAEA wrote:

I walk an 18 minute mile, without getting out of breath; that's about 3.3 mph. But I also walk hills, which makes it a little more strenuous (and good exercise). If I were walking on the boardwalk, I'd be doing 3.5 mph+.

Shouldn't tests like these also incorporate stamina? How fast you walk from one end of your house to another, isn't the same as whether you can walk 2+ miles, or how fast you could do that.

@ASTRAEA  Probably they should  That or give the base line measurement of difficulty.  All of these articles contain lots of variables  I wonder what the average would be for everyone over say 65?

Ps 

good for you.  I have to rebuild my stamina and strength after my opps this year. 

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith

Message 4 of 8 (203 Views)

I walk an 18 minute mile, without getting out of breath; that's about 3.3 mph. But I also walk hills, which makes it a little more strenuous (and good exercise). If I were walking on the boardwalk, I'd be doing 3.5 mph+.

Shouldn't tests like these also incorporate stamina? How fast you walk from one end of your house to another, isn't the same as whether you can walk 2+ miles, or how fast you could do that.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!

Message 5 of 8 (212 Views)

e758088v wrote:

Hello walkers,

>>

There are very inexpensive ones or expensive ones. Mine is called a Digi-walker. I think it might have been around 20 - 30. Very simple to set.

Hope this is helpful to you walkers out there. Start with a goal of 1000 steps, there is no such thing as to little or to much. Do what feels good to YOU

Liz

Hi Liz. Thank you for your comments!   I use a Fitbit for the same reason that you do and keep track of my steps.   Congratulations on continuing to get your regular exercise!

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 8 (219 Views)

Hello walkers,

I have a fun solution to walking. I have a step counter I wear everyday all day from waking to going to bed. It records every step I take. There is an old saying from the Chinese that says 10,000 steps a day keeps you healthy. When I was a nanny about 15 years ago I got 10,000 very often, now I am 65 and my average is between 6000 & 7000. I have gotten 10,000 a few times.

Every morning I write the number on my day planner and I can look back each week and see my average. It keeps me motivated to walk more so I can reach the 10,000 and just to see how much I walk each week.

There are very inexpensive ones or expensive ones. Mine is called a Digi-walker. I think it might have been around 20 - 30. Very simple to set.

Hope this is helpful to you walkers out there. Start with a goal of 1000 steps, there is no such thing as to little or to much. Do what feels good to YOU

Liz

[ Edited ]
Message 7 of 8 (241 Views)

I have walked all of my life and I don't think I am going to bother discussing this with my doctor.  I keep walking because I like it and I want to be able to get around and see things on my travels. I am going to NYC in Dec and I want to get out and see the sites!!

The easiest way to see how you are doing is to get out there and walk and see how you do.  How far can you go and how long does it take you.  

The other main factor is desire.  Someone told me a long time ago that what you are doing every day is what you want to do (barring limitations of course). If you are not walking and you have no reason that you cannot, then you do not want to.  Only you can get yourself motivated and going!

How Fast You Walk As You Age May Predict Lifespan

[ Edited ]
Message 8 of 8 (255 Views)

How Fast You Walk As You Age May Predict Your Lifespan
Natural Gait Speed Test Indicates Your Remaining Years

By Wendy Bumgardner | Reviewed by Richard N. Fogoros, MD
Updated September 26, 2017

Are you proud that you can keep up with your grandkids when walking? If so, that's a good indication that you have many years still ahead of you. Studies show that past age 65, your walking speed at your natural pace is a surprisingly reliable predictor of survival. Measuring gait speed over a short distance, such as across a room (13 feet or 4 meters) is a useful tool for doctors to set appropriate treatment and care goals for aging individuals.

https://www.verywell.com/how-fast-you-walk-may-predict-your-lifespan-4150312