Congress Agrees on a Tax Bill. What Does Proposed Tax Bill Mean for Older Americans? Learn More.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: How Fast You Walk As You Age May Predict Lifespan

Message 1 of 52

jamesb89828 wrote:

I walk 20 minute miles. I stay inside when temps dip. The walking is 100% Florida. Jan- may. Cardiologist says nothing outside under 40 degrees or over 90 degrees. Living in mi makes both extremes a challenge for me. 

@jamesb89828  Well congratulations on the effort you are making.  So are you snowbirding Jan through May in Florida?  And that is where you go 100% of the time?   What about the rest of the time?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 2 of 52

I walk 20 minute miles. I stay inside when temps dip. The walking is 100% Florida. Jan- may. Cardiologist says nothing outside under 40 degrees or over 90 degrees. Living in mi makes both extremes a challenge for me. 

James Bonsall

Message 3 of 52

vr18414937 wrote:

I too started walking on a regular basis since the middle of ths year.  I use Fitbit to track my 10,000 steps.  On good days, I try to do more steps.  I walk briskly and prefer to do it solo to keep up my pace and distance.  Walking is good since it gives me time to think about things and help me to resolve to be a knder and better person.  When the weather is cool like in Fall and winter, I tend to walk more.

It invigorates me and at times I feel a bit tired  after the walk.  But a glass of water or juice revives me and I am at it again the next day.  I am in my 70's and hope to kewep up my Fitbit track record for

some more years!!.  

@vr18414937  Good for you.  I also prefer walking solo and using my time for thinking and admiring the views as I walk.  I love the Fitbit tracker and use the 10000 steps as a guide. For many of us, using the tracking motivates me to push myself to do better.  And since I have a desk job I use the hourly reminder to get up from the desk and move.   Thanks for sharing and happy walking.  

Highlighted
Info Seeker

Message 4 of 52

I too started walking on a regular basis since the middle of ths year.  I use Fitbit to track my 10,000 steps.  On good days, I try to do more steps.  I walk briskly and prefer to do it solo to keep up my pace and distance.  Walking is good since it gives me time to think about things and help me to resolve to be a knder and better person.  When the weather is cool like in Fall and winter, I tend to walk more.

It invigorates me and at times I feel a bit tired  after the walk.  But a glass of water or juice revives me and I am at it again the next day.  I am in my 70's and hope to kewep up my Fitbit track record for

some more years!!.  

Message 5 of 52

SAHDad wrote:

Hello ip3285,

That was very well said and so very true. Words of the wise for sure!! Smiley Very Happy

@SAHDad   If you want to post to a particular person, use the @ before their “name”.   

Message 6 of 52

ip3285 wrote:
Since I'm one foot shorter than you are, I guess you're not overweight. Have a good hike. Tomorrow is coloring club at the library - my social event of the week when I get to talk with real women who aren't the usual "old hens" I chat with on my farm!'.
I like hearing what others are growing in their yards, greenhouses, and wherever they grow things. How do we ask the AARP moderators to start a thread on that and other ways that members are self-sufficient?
Also, since most members are older adults, and some of us used to be hippies, are we now considered "AARPIES"?

@ip3285  AARPIES. Love it. Smiley Happy We can start the thread ourselves. I'll do it either tonight or tomorrow. I enjoy talking with folk who know a thing or two about how to fend for themselves. Smiley Happy I suppose it should go under Random Conversations. I'll @reply ya when I get it done.

Yah, I'm not overweight. My body fat is 19% (using the athlete's BMI calculator). My waist is 29 inches.

I shall enjoy tomorrow's walk! You enjoy coloring club. That sounds like a blast! Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 52
Since I'm one foot shorter than you are, I guess you're not overweight. Have a good hike. Tomorrow is coloring club at the library - my social event of the week when I get to talk with real women who aren't the usual "old hens" I chat with on my farm!'.
I like hearing what others are growing in their yards, greenhouses, and wherever they grow things. How do we ask the AARP moderators to start a thread on that and other ways that members are self-sufficient?
Also, since most members are older adults, and some of us used to be hippies, are we now considered "AARPIES"?

Message 8 of 52

ip3285 wrote:
Oh, let's do a trade! I'll help you lose some of your "heritage". Donate it to me. That way you lose (weight) and I gain (weight). I need about 5 more pounds to get up to my ideal weight of 90 pounds. Right now I'm sitting near my computer eating some dark chocolate cheesecake with dark chocolate frosting topped with chocolate/chocolate chip ice cream, and a container of Ensure. Then I'll go outside to do yard work and burn it all off. This year I have lots of butternut squash and beets in my raised beds. It's just cooling down enough so I can start plants from seeds in my greenhouse again. During our summer months (June through November) it's often over 100 degrees so it's too hot to grow anything in the greenhouse and hot weather crops grow in the raised beds.

@ip3285  Deal!  I have about 3 pounds to lose. Maybe 5: we'll see when I get there. I'll be building muscle, so we'll have to see where I end up. I'm thinking somewhere in the 149-151 pound range. (I'm 5'9")  It's all about my power to weight ratio at this point. (Chocolate cheesecake? I am jealous! I haven't made cheesecake in about 10 years, though that used to be a fave Christmas present: ornate cheescakes for everyone on my list. I finally decided it was maybe mean to gift 10,000 calories. LOL.)

Here at a mile high we don't see a lot of 100 degree days. But of course our sun is quite strong.  I manage to grow some things in the greenhouse's raised beds year round. How right you are about burning off calories while 'walking' around tending to a farm. And how!  I bet we both get in 10,000 steps a day E-Z! Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 52
Oh, let's do a trade! I'll help you lose some of your "heritage". Donate it to me. That way you lose (weight) and I gain (weight). I need about 5 more pounds to get up to my ideal weight of 90 pounds. Right now I'm sitting near my computer eating some dark chocolate cheesecake with dark chocolate frosting topped with chocolate/chocolate chip ice cream, and a container of Ensure. Then I'll go outside to do yard work and burn it all off. This year I have lots of butternut squash and beets in my raised beds. It's just cooling down enough so I can start plants from seeds in my greenhouse again. During our summer months (June through November) it's often over 100 degrees so it's too hot to grow anything in the greenhouse and hot weather crops grow in the raised beds.

Message 10 of 52

ip3285 wrote:
Mini-trampoline followed by weight training sounds like a great workout. Anytime we work our muscles in a way we don't use them routinely will tone them, plus keep us from getting bored with doing the "same old" thing. On the days that my 'only' exercise is shoveling out the chicken coup and cleaning the goat enclosure, I still feel like I've exercised. I work my muscles, get my heart rate up a bit, and "socialize" (with my chickens and goats). It might not be "exercise" as defined in the exercise manuals, but it works for me. Funny, but sometimes I think those people who write exercise manuals never set foot away from their computers, yet they claim to be experts on exercise.

@ip3285  Exactly: use those muscles to keep them. Smiley Happy  Walking, rollerblading, dancing, yard work, homesteading (as you and I know Smiley Happy), and even birdwatching, whatever it takes and whatever gets your blood pumping: do it often!  That's my motto. Yesterday for me it was the mini-trampoline and climbing around the greenhouse harvesting yams, changing shadecloth and row covers. Smiley Happy

I'm back doing weights after a 2 month hiatus (two weeks off before our final race to avoid being dumb and pulling a muscle, then a week at the races, followed by five weeks of laziness ... OK: cycling really, because the weather was so nice), and have lost some ground for it, but I'm trying to lose arm, rear and thigh flab before it turns heritage or something.  Smiley Happy (Ew: that's an awful thought: heritage flab!) 

I'll be back out tackling those hills on our 4.85 mile walking route tomorrow. Switching it up. Smiley Happy