Test Your Knowledge About Long-Term Care with AARP’s Long-Term Care Quiz

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Health - Diabetes

Message 1 of 4 (3,165 Views)
melskie62 wrote:

Hello, fellow Community bloggers - I could use your opinion. I am 67yrs old and I have never been sick or hospitalized. Now, to my dismay, I think that I have diabetes. Have I gone to the doctor - NO! Will I go, yes, after 30 days. What happens in a 30 day time period - well, I am looking up diabetes menus and will change my eating habits. I have a treadmill, so I will use it everyday. Why do I think I have diabetes:  tingling feelings, my feet hurt, and I just generally feel uncomfortable.  What do you think?

I agree with the other posters, that if you generally feel "uncomfortable" now .. now is when you should make the appointment to see the doctor, and get a baseline & opinion!  Just this morning a friend wrote about his spouse having "tingling feelings", and the diagnosis wasn't diabetes, so don't just guess at this!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 4 (3,181 Views)

melskie62 wrote:

Hello, fellow Community bloggers - I could use your opinion. I am 67yrs old and I have never been sick or hospitalized. Now, to my dismay, I think that I have diabetes. Have I gone to the doctor - NO! Will I go, yes, after 30 days. What happens in a 30 day time period - well, I am looking up diabetes menus and will change my eating habits. I have a treadmill, so I will use it everyday. Why do I think I have diabetes:  tingling feelings, my feet hurt, and I just generally feel uncomfortable.  What do you think?

It depends.  Your symptoms are sometimes associated with diabetes but they could be due to other medical problems.  Do you also have increased thirst, frequent urination, unusual weight gain or loss?  Fatigue and blurry vision are also symptoms of diabetes.

I also wonder why you are waiting 30 days to find out.  If you have a primary care physician, it's important to start treatment as soon as possible.  If you do not, some of the major drug stores offer glucose screenings and can refer you to a doctor.  Waiting to get your weight or blood sugar down will not change the diagnosis and from where I stand you have nothing to gain by waiting.

Good luck and welcome to the AARP community discussion forums.

“The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking."
War With Honour, 1940 ~ A.A. Milne
Respected Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 4 (3,196 Views)
melskie62
Info Seeker

Health - Diabetes
‎10-15-2014 07:22 PM

Hello, fellow Community bloggers - I could use your opinion. I am 67yrs old and I have never been sick or hospitalized. Now, to my dismay, I think that I have diabetes. Have I gone to the doctor - NO! Will I go, yes, after 30 days. What happens in a 30 day time period - well, I am looking up diabetes menus and will change my eating habits. I have a treadmill, so I will use it everyday. Why do I think I have diabetes: tingling feelings, my feet hurt, and I just generally feel uncomfortable. What do you think?
Hi. And welcome!

Just a question. Why wait 30 days. Why not go in for a check up?
Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Highlighted
Info Seeker

Health - Diabetes

Message 4 of 4 (3,207 Views)