The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Info Seeker

Re: Have you ever delayed doctor visits until you lost weight?

Message 1 of 12 (1,108 Views)

With Health Insurance in the air - I feel I have to be as healthy as possible when I go to the doctor, so I am not saddled with a pre-existing condition. 

Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 12 (1,707 Views)

Really?  Why?  Wise up.  Your health is way too important to let pride or vanity get in the way.  It's not like postponing a trip to the beach because you have a few extra pounds.  If you really feel like losing the weight, regular visits to your doctor (including the dreaded weigh-in) let them track your weight and work with you to help you get to your goals.  This may include refering you to a dietician and assisting with developing a reasonable exercise program.  It may also be as simple as being screened for a thyroid condition, which is often treatable.  Now, if you do not trust your doctor enough to be open and honest with them, then that's another issue.  If that's the case, another doctor might be best.

AARPTeri wrote:

This is a common thing a lot of women do, have you ever done this?

Info Seeker

[ Edited ]
Message 3 of 12 (1,781 Views)

I'm doing so right now.  The last time I saw her I was down 24 lbs and my AIC level was 6.9!  Unfortunately, I gained the weight back and don't want to go back for a check-up until I am back on track. 

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 12 (1,958 Views)

m907706g wrote:

So far, so good.  I recently dropped to 180 from 224.  That was 2 years ago and so far, am maintaining.  Diabetic so that may be partly responsible.  I swim 3 times a week and faithful about that.

@m907706g Rock on!

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 12 (1,971 Views)

So far, so good.  I recently dropped to 180 from 224.  That was 2 years ago and so far, am maintaining.  Diabetic so that may be partly responsible.  I swim 3 times a week and faithful about that.

Conversationalist

Message 6 of 12 (2,596 Views)

I have been trying to talk myself into calling for an appointment to discuss weight loss AGAIN.  I lost 35 pounds a couple of years ago and was so happy. Then there were a number of critical family issues and I got totally off track and have regained that weight.  I'm so disappointed in myself and don't want to face my doctor Smiley Sad

Conversationalist

Message 7 of 12 (2,610 Views)

Yep!  (LOL)

Message 8 of 12 (2,963 Views)

@NerdyMom - I hate the "conventional wisdom" that it's harder/almost impossible to lose weight when you're older, which people use as an excuse. It's only harder because people become more sedentary, and seem to reward themselves with comfort food more. Be more active & eat healthier, and losing weight isn't any more difficult over 50 or 60!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Super Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 12 (2,977 Views)

ASTRAEA wrote:

That's a funny question, and I bet more women have done that than men!

I would never postpone the doctor for that reason, but I will share a somewhat embarrassing experience about that. I went to the Ob/Gyn about 5 years ago, for a routine annual exam; I think I'd missed the previous year. When I got on the scale, I was mortified, to see it the highest weight I'd ever been, and blurted out, "And I can't even use the excuse that I'm pregnant!" That was the beginning of a long diet during which I lost 50 lbs!

Good for you!   My mom (years ago), quit smoking and lost 50 pounds.  She said losing the weight was by far, much harder than stopping a 2 pack a day habit.    I'm very impressed.  

Message 10 of 12 (3,162 Views)

There is certainly the possibility of weighing in lighter at a doctor visit becoming as much of an indirect economic consideration as it is a direct health consideration, isn't there? 

I have no known issues or diseases, and am an herbalist, so over the past decade, I bet I have seen a medical doctor on average once a year. Not once did I diet beforehand. That said, I've dropped 6 pounds in the past 4 months due to aggressive training for upcoming athletic competitions. I'm trim and robust, but as I've lost considerable weight in the last couple of years, Doctor may have something to say about that at our next visit. 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving